Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Have you looked at the aftermath of recent Japanese or American Olympic Games? Nagano looks great...Let's not judge Rio too harshly. Hosting an Olympic Games wrecks any city. I'm not sure why anyone wants to host anymore. It costs a fortune with negligible return. http://www.businessinsider.com/aban...et-to-prepare-for-the-2004-summer-olympics-32

It was amazing for Atlanta. It only wrecks a city that shouldn't host it:D.

It worked for Atlanta because Billy Payne had a dream of bringing the Games to Atlanta and basically single handily lined up enough private money to pay for almost the entire games.

That's the only reason it didn't wreck Atlanta.

ToTBellHop

It worked for Atlanta because Billy Payne had a dream of bringing the Games to Atlanta and basically single handily lined up enough private money to pay for almost the entire games.

I'm shocked that LA wants 2024. I mean I'd love to go, but I'm shocked that they want to do it.

Otterhead

Disney shouldn't build another country pavillion. I hope they don't build my country. You don't want that. You don't care about other cultures.
The person you were responding to might not care about other cultures, but that isn't true for Americans in general. We love other cultures, and I'd love to see Brazil represented at Epcot. It'd be a vibrant, beautiful pavilion with terrific food.
We feel sad about the Olympics debacle (yours isn't the first country the Olympics used and abused).
Like others, I'm amazed that L.A. would want the Olympics. I'm in Boston, and even though we were a frontrunner for 2024, we turned the Olympics down once the IOC started pushing their weight around and making crazy demands. The last straw was when they gave the city a one-week deadline to sign paperwork committing us to host the Games using public funds, even though an actual budget hadn't been agreed on yet. It was ridiculous and I'm sorry for what Rio went through.

rushtest4echo

LA has been planning for an Olympics bid for a long time. They've already bribed their way into consideration (the only way you'll be considered), they've already dumped public funds into Olympics capable venues, and they have plenty of downtown hotel rooms unlike many American cities. LA has the Rose Bowl, the Colosseum, the new Inglewood Stadium, the Forum, Staples Center, the Galen Center, Stubhub Center, the Aquatics center, and coastal access for golf, swimming, boating, and beach sports. They already have a massive transmission/broadcast capacity with the networks and studios there. They're in the middle of major highway upgrades and the light rail/subways along with existing dedicated bus/carpool lanes could be configured to move things much more smoothly than other major cities. If any US city can deal with everything that the Olympics needs, it's LA. Will there be issues? Of course. Will there be traffic? No doubt. Will there be angry NIMBY idiots? Check. But they've spent a long time already prepping for this and now it's got the backing of some of the biggest media companies on earth as well. Unless Paris can play up the sympathy card, or if the US proves to be so brazen in their anti-immigrant policies, I foresee LA getting the 2024 games easily.

Not to mention that our current President would love nothing more to have a spectacle to shower money on to showcase the greatness of America (just look to his counterpart in Moscow for an example). I can't think of a better waste of money and resources for him to accomplish such a thing. Between LA's real, legitimate offerings and their ability to just bribe the IOC, I'm sure payments/arrangements can be made to assure that LA is chosen for 2024.

Also, keep in mind that the last Olympics to not bleed money was in fact LA 1984. Not that the IOC cares whether or not the Olympics crush and bankrupt the host city/country (we've seen that enough), but that's usually in countries where new venues are needed which isn't the case at all in LA. Their venue budget is less than it would cost to build a single modern stadium!

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is a rumor that is far, far, far, far from happening. ... I'm not even sure it has real legit background or if it is coming from a faction of WDI (see leaked HKDL plans that still are NOT a go) or bloggers/podcasters who have a bunch of circumstantial items that they are using to take a very huge leap.

Honestly, if WS was getting an addition, I can think of half a dozen countries that would make more sense than Brazil.

Tour groups and a failed and troubling Olympiad in no way should lead to a conclusion here.

Lots of stuff being talked about with a fair amount happening ... but this ...

Perhaps Disney is thinking of a attraction based on Terry Gilliams Brazil ... Get Form Thirty Seven Stroke B to enter...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Bocabear

I really think any new pavilion in World Showcase HAS to open with a ride of some sort...It would be ridiculous to do otherwise...especially if they are wanting to spread crowds out more...

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I thought this was worthy of a breakout thread given the discussion is taking away from the potential Ratatouille ride for France in the other thread.

@MansionButler84 basically confirmed that the front runner country for a new World Showcase pavilion is Brazil:

I'll give some credit to @TabulaRasa who reasoned it out prior in this post.

I dont know where he's getting they could actually afford the Olympics...there was a crap ton of problems leading up to and during said Olympics that were financial in nature.

Daveeeeed

That was a big part of it, but the positive affect it's had on the city since seems almost worth it in itself.

rushtest4echo

Other than sending astronauts to Mars.

Not feasible in the next decade or longer- the Olympics is and is much cheaper. We can't even protect Astronauts from cosmic radiation long enough for them to arrive at Mars without dying of exposure, let along landing them and protecting them outside the ship for any reasonable period of time when they arrive at Mars. The mass required to shield them isn't lift able into LEO by the combined capacity of multiple SLS rockets- let alone getting it beyond the gravitational pull of earth.

And this doesn't begin to solve the problems with returning them. No President is ever going to sign off on a one way trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom