Rumor Brazil (and maybe others) Pavilion Coming to Epcot [not about Brazilian people nor a country wish list]

Fairsky

I’ll give the Disney executives credit... they’re very savvy with how they are rolling out the changes to Epcot. I’m disappointed we didn’t learn more at D23, but I understand why. They are appeasing the fan base with superficial nostalgia (logos, Epcot Forever, entrance plaza and fountain), while simultaneously dismantling half of the original Epcot’s purpose and tons of IP. I’m not complaining—overall I’m happy with the decisions. But you can tell they’re trying to avoid backlash from the older fans. I wonder if the silence about Imagination and any new country was because both will be very IP heavy and they didn’t want the Epcot announcements to face too much fan criticism.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve never understood the case for a Brazil pavilion. Anything new added to Epcot should have a Disney IP connection, and Brazil doesn’t. (Even the new water feature is themed to Moana.) I always thought India would be a much better addition to World Showcase with a Jungle Book attraction. Wasn’t that a rumor a few years ago?
I think Disney fans see tour groups and default to the “lowest common denominator” of thought.

It’s not the “only” reason...it’s the subliminal driver though

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ll give the Disney executives credit... they’re very savvy with how they are rolling out the changes to Epcot. I’m disappointed we didn’t learn more at D23, but I understand why. They are appeasing the fan base with superficial nostalgia (logos, Epcot Forever, entrance plaza and fountain), while simultaneously dismantling half of the original Epcot’s purpose and tons of IP. I’m not complaining—overall I’m happy with the decisions. But you can tell they’re trying to avoid backlash from the older fans. I wonder if the silence about Imagination and any new country was because both will be very IP heavy and they didn’t want the Epcot announcements to face too much fan criticism.
I actually agree...though chapek is a ham handed junk peddler and that can’t be hidden completely.

He’s like pressler without “the face” 😁

I think they are trying to be “redoing” Epcot in the next five years without further big capital commitment...it’s a tad smoke and mirrors. That seems like something a ceo retiring would do, doesn’t it?

SirLink

Contrary to one of our most popular sayings, “knowledge” is not “power”.

In corporate America...only the ability to manipulate money is power...through any means necessary.

Moving on...what are you hearing for D23 Orlando 2021 ? 🤪

(I may actually go to one of these someday...we can go to Fogo De Chao for those drinks 🍹)

I didn't know @jt04 had alt accounts, but hey the more you know.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It’s not a football game...there are no “victors” here.

We’re all puppets...in the same sick play.

They have not built a country pavilion in 31 years because the dynamics of what Epcot is and how they were operated have changed dramatically...in fact...none have been approved since 85/86 and that last one collapse before it opened.

It’s not indicative of other rumors or plans...but it does define this type. Until this situation is understood and resolved...any country rumor is not worth sharing.

A lot of people talk and are proud of what they see in the mirror each morning...few of those outside bobs tanning booth have much of a say - however.

And FYI...I don’t think you understand what those “reasons” are. See? No innuendo...no nuance.
Didn't you poo-poo Poppins as well? And the fact than Inno was going to be demolished? @marni1971's batting average seems a lot higher than yours.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Didn't you poo-poo Poppins as well? And the fact than Inno was going to be demolished? @marni1971's batting average seems a lot higher than yours.
Nope...

I don’t completely understand why they are moving forward with poppins - considering the movie didn’t do well at all - but it makes sense from other contexts. Namely the original has a lot of pull and the IP infusion works as much as ratatouille does. It also doesn’t seem to be “heavy tech”...which is inline with reduced budgets I DID predict.

Innoventions also makes sense and I didn’t have much of an opinion.

Look...it’s my fault due to tone...but people always tend to harp on what I DONT say....as opposed to looking at the angles behind what I do.

It’s my cross to carry 😉

And your last sentence is snitty and kinda silly. I don’t claim to be an “insider” or engage in the nuance game. It’s not a race to anything when one person doesn’t bother to wear sneakers.

I judge based on experience and context...and I have no interest in vlogging on DCL or dooney and Burke bags or those weird adult princess dresses for trips...

I do love Disney...and I want it to be “better”. Like gps, there’s potentially multiple routers to that destination.

Phicinfan

Nope...

I don’t completely understand why they are moving forward with poppins - considering the movie didn’t do well at all - but it makes sense from other contexts. Namely the original has a lot of pull and the IP infusion works as much as ratatouille does. It also doesn’t seem to be “heavy tech”...which is inline with reduced budgets I DID predict.

Innoventions also makes sense and I didn’t have much of an opinion.

Look...it’s my fault due to tone...but people always tend to harp on what I DONT say....as opposed to looking at the angles behind what I do.

It’s my cross to carry 😉
No one, no one at all can look that crookedly sorry.

It is your tone and your narrow minded view that is the issue.

But I will also say, you can be right at times as well.

there may need to be more of a centrist position in some of this. We ALL want to see new designs and new rides and new events all the time in WDW, but that is $$$$$ that some won't spend due to keeping the investors happy. Bottom line is the main drum beating here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No one, no one at all can look that crookedly sorry.

It is your tone and your narrow minded view that is the issue.

But I will also say, you can be right at times as well.

there may need to be more of a centrist position in some of this. We ALL want to see new designs and new rides and new events all the time in WDW, but that is $$$$$ that some won't spend due to keeping the investors happy. Bottom line is the main drum beating here.
So you are carrying the line while deconstructing the argument in the same couple of sentences?

You’re on today, ma boy!

Look...when i’m skeptical about new development I WANT to be wrong!!! Why wouldn’t I?

I don’t have a an axe to grind against Disney (multiple financial institutions can verify that)...I just don’t trust them.

No modern company on the public market can be...Do you trust apple? Amazon?

Why in the hell would we?

I’ll eat a big bowlful of words for breakfast each time they exceed expectations and prove me wrong. Gladly.

But I often go hungry...unlike the ecvs at chef mickeys

Phicinfan

So you are carrying the line while deconstructing the argument in the same couple of sentences?

You’re on today, ma boy!

Look...when i’m skeptical about new development I WANT to be wrong!!! Why wouldn’t I?

I don’t have a an axe to grind against Disney (multiple financial institutions can verify that)...I just don’t trust them.

No modern company on the public market can be...Do you trust apple? Amazon?

Why in the hell would we?

I’ll eat a big bowlful of words for breakfast each time they exceed expectations and prove me wrong. Gladly.

But I often go hungry...unlike the ecvs at chef mickeys
Point, I don't trust them either, simply because they are only after the almighty dollar.

That being said, the thing that... "bothers" me the most, is the fact they have to see the train at the end of the tunnel don't they? Uni IS building a 3rd gate, and it will have Mario and friends which will be quite probably the next HP for them.

Like most here, I don't think a 5th gate can happen, due to cost mostly, but also due to lack of vacation and time to visit all the parks. Makes it to spastic to call it a vacation.

So they have to address the elephant on the table - or shall we say the Yeti not moving in the cave.... and update and get these other parks up to snuff and be innovative in doing it.

I honestly am starting to think they don't HAVE the capacity to be innovative any longer. And that is just sad.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Point, I don't trust them either, simply because they are only after the almighty dollar.

That being said, the thing that... "bothers" me the most, is the fact they have to see the train at the end of the tunnel don't they? Uni IS building a 3rd gate, and it will have Mario and friends which will be quite probably the next HP for them.

Like most here, I don't think a 5th gate can happen, due to cost mostly, but also due to lack of vacation and time to visit all the parks. Makes it to spastic to call it a vacation.

So they have to address the elephant on the table - or shall we say the Yeti not moving in the cave.... and update and get these other parks up to snuff and be innovative in doing it.

I honestly am starting to think they don't HAVE the capacity to be innovative any longer. And that is just sad.
This is the point where the “worm turns” as far as how I say things...it always happens.

The intent is different than the delivery.

Long story short: we agree.

The only thing to add is that the 5th gate - and I tend to be harsh and people don’t want to hear
It - CANT happen.

Why?
1. Dak proved they can’t shatter the 7 day barrier on average vacations. Game over. That means park cannibalization and there’s no profit in that (they have - to their credit - done a pretty good job at trying with the Upsell nonsense people are falling for in alarming numbers)
2. Labor. People don’t believe me...but they can’t get more of it. At least not on their terms. Labor is also a lost, sunk cost and the Wall Street mentality at Disney is never gonna go for that. Roy Disney (either) isn’t coming through that door.
3. Money. They gotta charge more. There won’t be enough people to pay it.
50% of the people in this country can’t afford a minor repair bill. Something like 40% of millennials receive “financial support” from their parents...what’s that mean? It means allowances for rent or car insurance or FOOD!

I kid ye not...

There’s more reasons...but that is enough to checkmate the king on a 5th park.
The truth is out there...have to know where to look.

Phicinfan

This is the point where the “worm turns” as far as how I say things...it always happens.

The intent is different than the delivery.

Long story short: we agree.

The only thing to add is that the 5th gate - and I tend to be harsh and people don’t want to hear
It - CANT happen.

Why?
1. Dak proved they can’t shatter the 7 day barrier on average vacations. Game over. That means park cannibalization and there’s no profit in that (they have - to their credit - done a pretty good job at trying with the Upsell nonsense people are falling for in alarming numbers)
2. Labor. People don’t believe me...but they can’t get more of it. At least not on their terms. Labor is also a lost, sunk cost and the Wall Street mentality at Disney is never gonna go for that. Roy Disney (either) isn’t coming through that door.
3. Money. They gotta charge more. There won’t be enough people to pay it.
50% of the people in this country can’t afford a minor repair bill. Something like 40% of millennials receive “financial support” from their parents...what’s that mean? It means allowances for rent or car insurance or FOOD!

I kid ye not...

There’s more reasons...but that is enough to checkmate the king on a 5th park.
The truth is out there...have to know where to look.
Yep we agree. No way a 5th gate works, the cost alone makes me shrink it in view. Let alone all the other issues.

Which is why I am that much more frustrated over penny pinching changes in the existing parks.

Fairsky

Based on Epcot being "More Disney" and "More Family," we know any new country in World Showcase must have an IP connection. In my view, that rules out Brazil. Here's what we know regarding countries and IP:

DONE/CONFIRMED:
Norway - Frozen
France - Ratatouille
Britain - Mary Poppins

VERY LIKELY:
Mexico - Coco

POSSIBLE:
China - Mulan
Japan - Big Hero 6

VERY UNLIKELY:
Germany - Snow White, Tangled (already in MK)
Italy - Pinocchio (already in MK)
Morocco - Alladin (the story is Arabian, not North African)
Canada - No clear IP

If they want to add more IP to World Showcase, any new country should have a strong IP connection. Here are my best guesses:

Brazil - Weak IP connection with Three Caballeros, doesn't add anything new/strong to Epcot, very unlikely
India - Jungle Book, strong IP and India has distinguishable architecture
Spain - No IP connection, too many European countries in WS already
Australia - No IP connection, very unlikely
Africa - Lion King, already present in Animal Kingdom, very unlikely
Greece - Hercules, not strong IP, too much Europe already

DCLcruiser

@Fairsky

Duke Caboom for Canada...

duke-caboom-toy-story.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Based on Epcot being "More Disney" and "More Family," we know any new country in World Showcase must have an IP connection. In my view, that rules out Brazil. Here's what we know regarding countries and IP:

That's not how WDW decides if a national pavilion is worth it because almost all of them are there because of a corporate sponsor. Brazil has been and is in the works because of a corporate sponsor, and not because Disney has a Brazil-related IP to push.

DCLcruiser

Brazil - Up! (I get it, Venezuela, but the Amazon is an easy connection)
India - Jungle Book (awesome idea)
Spain - Elena of Avalor (she's the princess of an Andorran-styled, made up place)
Australia - The Rescuers Down Under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rescuers_Down_Under
Africa - Black Panther and Lion King, or make something new? Maybe incorporate Egypt also.

Greece - Hercules is such a great movie and I'm not sure why we don't have more of them. Plus, they showed the Parthenon in the video...

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 1.48.28 PM.png

RobbinsDad

I believe you're right on with Imagination, and I really dig your avatar.

UNCgolf

Australia - No IP connection, very unlikely

There's an entire Disney animated film set in Australia (Rescuers Down Under), it's just been completely forgotten because it came out between Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. It also wasn't very successful, so I can't imagine them bringing it out of mothballs. It's not a bad movie, though.

It's more surprising that the original Rescuers isn't in use anywhere, because it actually was very successful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom