Brawl Breaks Out at Cambria in Anaheim

el_super

Original Poster
Looks like things are getting a little too hot at the Cambria...

Anaheim hotel brawl: Police responded to calls 17 times in the past month
Calls have included a robbery, other instances of fighting and two near-drownings.
Anaheim police say they’ve had to respond 17 times in the past month to problems at the Cambria Hotel & Suites, where a brawl broke out on Wednesday involving up to 100 people.
Calls in the last 30 days included a robbery, other fights, a domestic violence incident, and two near-drownings, Anaheim police Sgt. Shane Carringer said Thursday.
“That’s definitely more than the normal average amount,” Carringer said.
[...]
It appeared that the hotel wasn’t enforcing coronavirus guidelines such as social distancing, Carringer said, so police contacted public health authorities. On Thursday, Orange County Health Care Agency officials would not confirm if they were investigating the hotel in connection with the crowd on Wednesday or whether they had in the past.
During the recent calls for help at the hotel, a robber took a watch from a patron by force, Carringer said. Though other fights broke out, he said, none were near the scale of Wednesday’s brawl. In the near-drowning incidents, a child and an adult were hospitalized by fire paramedics.
Carringer said he was not aware of any arrests in connection with those incidents.

Stevek

I liked the site better when it was a baby store...yes, I worked in the baby furniture/clothing industry during college. We used to do a lot of business with Bergstrom's.

At least we now know which hotel never to stay at should we ever want to stay in Anahizzle.

el_super

Original Poster
I liked the site better when it was a baby store...yes, I worked in the baby furniture/clothing industry during college. We used to do a lot of business with Bergstrom's.

At least we now know which hotel never to stay at should we ever want to stay in Anahizzle.

Point of reference, the Cambria isn't located where Bergstrom's used to be (although it is fairly close). It's actually located where the Boogie nightclub used to be (maybe that explains the problem?).

I'm really surprised that they had an estimated 60-100 people even staying there. It has it's own little waterpark, so maybe that was the draw?

TP2000

I'm also baffled why the Cambria is even open. Who would stay there? And why?

I guess because it opened in January, just before the world collapsed, they had to just keep going and refused to close?

The on-site management there seems inept.

It's obvious they are offering some very low room rates and are attracting a very rough crowd. This will be difficult for them to recover from once things go back to normal.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm also baffled why the Cambria is even open. Who would stay there? And why?

I guess because it opened in January, just before the world collapsed, they had to just keep going and refused to close?

The on-site management there seems inept.

It's obvious they are offering some very low room rates and are attracting a very rough crowd. This will be difficult for them to recover from once things go back to normal.

My first thought was that they were housing homeless people there.

TP2000

My first thought was that they were housing homeless people there.

You know, that's exactly what I thought also.

It likely could be the explanation. @Darkbeer1 are you aware of any of the Resort District hotels being used as part of the homeless Covid hotel scheme? The hotels involved are trying to keep it secret, but surely someone must know which hotels are in use currently for homeless housing.

SuddenStorm

Hotel's across the country have had similar encounters over the last few months, especially the last few weeks.

My hotel, which isn't inexpensive by any means, is offering rates about half of our rates from last year... And our clientele reflects the discount. I've had the cops at my property three times in the last two weeks- which was unheard of at my hotel which used to be about 75% business travel. Another hotel in the area, this one far less expensive than mine, had a shooting. Last weekend there was a suicide (again not at my property). A local Fairfield has had weekend parties and a few of their rooms absolutely trashed. One guest at a local hotel flooded a room by clogging each drain and letting the faucets run.

The hospitality industry as a whole is struggling- not just with significant rate discounts and strict, expensive, guidelines that they have to follow but with no business travel or tourist travel most hotels are catering to local families, drug addicts, and partiers.

Stevek

Point of reference, the Cambria isn't located where Bergstrom's used to be (although it is fairly close). It's actually located where the Boogie nightclub used to be (maybe that explains the problem?).

I'm really surprised that they had an estimated 60-100 people even staying there. It has it's own little waterpark, so maybe that was the draw?

My bad. You are correct. Bergstrom's was just north of it where Element & Suncoast hotels are now. I believe it was Cowboy Boogie and before that a sit down burger place...Flakey Jake's if I remember correctly. I worked just up the road on Ball between Anaheim and State College for quite awhile (no, not at a strip club). The hotel itself actually looks fairly nice.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

I believe it was Cowboy Boogie and before that a sit down burger place...Flakey Jake's if I remember correctly.

Really not important, but those were two distinct (but adjacent) locations. Flakey Jakes was right on the corner, of Anaheim/Haster and Katella, while the Boogies (Cowboy or otherwise) was closer to Manchester and the freeway (in the Cambria footprint.). Del Taco was the other major player in that "Asphalt Triangle" being around the corner of Katella and Manchester.

EDIT - Here's the view from 2007:
1596849687581.png

Last edited:

Stevek

Really not important, but those were two distinct (but adjacent) locations. Flakey Jakes was right on the corner, of Anaheim/Haster and Katella, while the Boogies (Cowboy or otherwise) was closer to Manchester and the freeway (in the Cambria footprint.). Del Taco was the other major player in that "Asphalt Triangle" being around the corner of Katella and Manchester.

EDIT - Here's the view from 2007:
View attachment 489563
At least I had the names right...maybe, maybe not :p

LOSTIE

I was on the west side of the Park, didn't hear any other than Yo Ho Ho Ho a Pirates Life for Me (if I recall correctly).
Still can't believe after all these years that a song with the word "Ho" is still being played at a family entertainment theme park. Disney is being socially complacent by keeping this song in the loop. How dare they! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom