boy do we have it good!

cheshiresmile

Original Poster
i know there has been a lot of talk about disney quality and cleanliness going down in recent years, but it could be so much worse! i live near six flags new england and just went last night. now, part of the park is pretty old, it used to be called riverside years ago, and six flags kept some areas and attractions when they bought it out. but they must never even tried to clean these things up, with the awful paint peeling (i mean really, really, bad) and the garbage everywhere, it was disgusting. a lot of employees were rude and obviously did not want to be there. plus, i paid 5.24 for a gross piece of pizza that sat in my stomach the rest of the night. all i could do all night was mentally compare it to wdw. i'm leaving for the world in 10 days, i'm so glad, i miss it so much more now! renee

octoberbarry

thoughts of 20-year returnee

This would be a perfect opportunity for me to jot down some of the noticings of a 20-year returnee...
Prior to our family trip to WDW this past month, i hadn't been to the World in 20 years. At that time, Epcot was still fairly new, and MK and Epcot was all that was there. So over the years, to hear of the water parks, and MGM, and Animal Kingdom, meant that it seemed a 'whole new world' to discover, and I really looked forward to it.
I wasn't in the least disappointed in that aspect. I found the new parks beautiful and up to Disney's standard, each in their own way. i know that AK is controversial with many, but I have to say that it was our favorite. Taking imagineering into the world of zoo's and animal care and environmental consciousness made for a wonderful way to spend a day...or more...it was the park we chose to go to twice...along with MK...
I did feel as if Epcot had lost some of the magic that I had experienced when I went there 20 years ago. Something in the message of it had been cheapened somehow, though I couldn't exactly put my finger on it. Perhaps it was that Spaceship Earth, one of the hold-overs from the original Epcot, still seemed one of the most moving rides in the park, and the newer ones, like Maelstrom, etc. ('Soarin' excepted here) seemed more like commercials, than well-thought-out experiences, up to Disney's standards. We were particularly shocked with some of the 'commercial' aspects of the Imagination pavilion as it currently stands, though we enjoyed the ride part of that pavilion.
We had little to no problem with rude CM's. I'm sure they exist, as humans all have good and bad days, but we had many wonderful experiences, and a generous handful of magical moments thanks to them. And I agree there is really no comparison between them and the expressionless automotons who seem to work in Six Flags parks - our local one of those is Great Escape in the southern Adirondacks, and we go there to ride the coasters, not for an enjoyable human experience, as at Disney World.
Lastly, and perhaps most important, is the good use of the land. My wife had never gone to WDW, and she had an image in her head of over-developed wasteland - we live in the northeast, and that is almost 'de rigeur' up here when it comes to development - but on the first day, upon arrival, we went parasailing. As she was lifted up on the parachute over Bay Lake, she couldn't believe it as she looked out and saw forest and forest and forest, with parks and hotels sticking up only here and there. So congratulations Disney for winning over my wife, a pretty hard sell on that score.
We'll see you again as soon as we can...

Craig & Lisa

Since we started going to WDW in 1997, we've gone 11 times, 1, never had a bad time with anything, 2, we have never seen any problem with trash, or maintenance, issues. I personnally am not looking for problems, so unless it's very obvious it won't draw attention. As far as I'm concerned, and this is my opinion, unless it's really a problem no one really has a reason to complain. Basic and simple, you make your vacation what it is. My family and I have a good time because we want to, but if your expecting to have the greatest vacation the world has ever seen, you should not go to WDW. Your expecting too much, yes it costs a fare amount to go, but we don't expect everyone there to kiss our butts. We treat people the way we expect to be treated, you get what you give. I'm in retail and that's how I treat my customers, and they in most cases come to me when they need help. I guess that's why we keep going to WDW, once we cross under the WDW welcome sign, all our problems that are at home, stay at home, we enter another world that has nothing to do with what we left behind and it doesn't come with us.:animwink:

CAPTAIN HOOK

I agree. Having been to WDW and experienced the cleanliness, the efficiency and the friendly staff (rides, retail, catering, resort and those that just appear to walk around the parks all day) there is nothing else to even come close. Over here in my part of the UK there are two parks (can't really call them 'theme' coz there isn't a theme anywhere) - there's Blackpool Pleasure Beach (where its actually a pleasure to leave the place) and there's Alton Towers. Now AT is probably one of the best parks in the country (certainly for rides) but its general appearance and accessability is dreadful when compared to WDW.
I blame Disney - its raised our levels of expectancy far too high to the point where just nothing else will do

Glasgow

I've said this before, but it's my opinion that people that don't go quite as often don't notice the "bad" things as much, such as paint peeling, trash, etc. I know this is a generalization and I'm not saying that the only complainers are the regularly visiting guests. But it stands to reason that those who see the park more and are more familiar with it are going to notice more inadequacies.

It's all relative I suppose. I go every few years and while I do see a few things that aren't as good as they used to be, most things are still done at a superior level, especially in comparison to other parks.

Uponastar

We just got back from a 2 week stay. If you read my trip report you will see that our experiences outside the World (since we stayed off-site) were far from magical. But once on property, Disney never let us down. The magic lives on!

coln84

My last trip to Disney (this past weekend) I saw a total of 1 light bulb out and 1 piece of trash on the ground. Kudos to Disney for keeping 47.5 square miles effiecently maintained and clean. However, that is what I expect from Disney. My last trip I also had to honor of going with someone that hasn't been since ToT opened. He also used to work for that evil amusment park up the street. So during the day we were talking and he finally realized why I love disney so much. While your at Disney (like everyone else has said) it is like being in a whole new world. I only live 2 hours away from the place but its always feels farther than that when actually in the park (however, maybe the food and wine had an effect this time). Disney World is full of this 'magic' that we all know and love but would never be able to point our fingers and say "there it is, the magic", you are completly surrounded in it. My only complaint was the lines, but what do you expect for the Sat before Holloween. But it gave me an opportunity to do all the classics at Epcot (yes, that means avoiding TT and Soarin' but they did have 100 min wait times). I was also glad my friend was able to see Illuminations because by far that is one of the best shows that Disney has to kiss us goodnight with.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Whoa, there are some crazy walls of text in this thread!

Comparing an amusement park like SFNE to a theme park like WDW simply isn't fair to either place. They aren't even after the same visitor. SFNE, and all Six Flags, are after the local. WDW is after the worldwide guest.

Glasgow

Thrawn said:

Comparing an amusement park like SFNE to a theme park like WDW simply isn't fair to either place. They aren't even after the same visitor. SFNE, and all Six Flags, are after the local. WDW is after the worldwide guest.
Hey, service is service - you get what you pay for.

Paragraphs = good
Text Walls = not so good

HunnyPot

Walt Disney World is by far my favorite place to be, as I know it is for many of you. We go about once a year, twice in 2005. I have to say that I don't pay attention to paint peeling, or the occasional piece of trash. I don't because I am so happy to be there, it's not worth wasting time thinking about those things. People aren't perfect, no matter where they are. Cast Memebers and Maintenece do the bet they can to keep the park looking spiff, but does that mean it always will? No. No one can be perfect in every way...that's just a fact of life.

I have read so many reviews for CBR (staying on our next trip), and some have been really bad. I think you might get a hit or miss mousekeeper, so your room might not be as clean as it should be. If it's down right dirty, call the front desk, but don't let it ruin your trip. Going as often as I do, I hear so many people complaining about WDW while we're there, and it bothers me. YES, it cost a lot to come, but as said earlier, you get out of it what you put in.

I have read most of the travel books related to WDW, but I try not to focus too much on the crowd levels and wait times. We are going during the off season, but more and more people are beginning to do this, so the crowds might be larger than expected. Who cares? I'm going to be at WDW! My focus is on having a good time and remembering the magic and experiencing it all again. This time we're going with a friend who has never been before. I have a feeling her reaction and excitment will rub off on all of us who have been so many times before, and we'll remember how magical WDW is, and not worry about the little things.

Just my $0.02.

lilphil6487

Thrawn said:

i totally agree. my six flags park which is great adventure in Jackson, NJ is a great park. It is amlost always clean, ppl there are nice, and the rides are amazing like Kingda Ka and Nitro, however like Thrawn said, comparing the 2 parks isnt fair. six flags is a different kind of park. Like thrawn said it is for locals and most rides are thrill rides which are geared to older age groups. It is an amusement park where you go to ride the rides and be amused. WDW is a collection of THEME parks. While amusing, they are fun, entertaining, they got resturaunts in the park, theming which is most important is everywhere. Every ride has a theme and almost every ride has a pre-show. Scenery is amazing in the park and on the rides. Six Flags focuses on the ride itself rather than the theming, which is fine, but that is how it differs from WDW. The only ride at Six Flags that really has a theme is Skull Mountain, and although corney, it is fun because of the scenery where you are inside a mountain and it is dark and spooky. It reminds me of Big Thunder Mountain a little.

The only thing at WDW i have to complain about for every trip ive been on since 1989 to 2005 is the bus service. Sometimes it is good, but i often find myself waiting for a VERY long time and sometimes like when i was at Saratoga Springs this past summer, the SAME bus for MGM and Blizzard Beach must have come 3 times before the bus for Epcot came. Other than that, i have no complaints, not even about rude cast members.

Laura

Premium Member
I can't even enjoy six flags anymore (or any other "local-type" amusement parks). The whole time I am at them I constantly think about what a bad job they've done with layout, theming, upkeep, etc. I mean like rides where your own view is of a dumpster or a parking lot? Is planting trees to block unsightly views that big of a deal?

Also after spoiling myself at Disney's resorts it's hard to stay at run down Comfort Inn's.

I am very happy to be able to visit Disney so often and be so spoiled while I'm there!

Nemo14

I know what you mean, but our Six Flags isn't exactly losing money. I just prefer not to give them mine!
As far as othere hotels go, I'm always comparing them to our Disney experiences. This past weekend,we stayed in a beautiful hotel in St Pete Beach with a balcony overlooking the Gulf, and my first reaction was "I should have booked us a night at POR, then driven down here for the wedding." :hammer:

DisneyFanLS

Back when my wife and I were dating, we frequented Six Flags Over Georgia, but then we took our first WDW trip and we haven't been back to Six Flags since!!! I mean, once you've experienced the sheer joy and embience of WDW (as well as the superior rides and technology) WDW makes Six Flags seem like a carnival!!?? Don't get me wrong, our Six Flags is still THRIVING....BUT there's just no matching the "magic" of a Walt Disney World vacation!! We got engaged right there in front of Cinderella's Castle (which my wife now calls "HER" castle), and we honeymooned there, and we haven't missed a year since!!! Our next trip is on our anniversary in March 2006!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: (But I do still love that little old dancin' guy in the glasses on Six Flags commercials)

ncgolfer

The only park I've ever been too that can match the magic of WDW is Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN. It is as clean as disney and employs mostly retired couples who are some of the most friendly people I have ever met. We have season passes and make the 3 1/2 drive several times a year. If you ever get a chance check it out. PS - The thunderhead coaster is the #1 ranked wooden coaster in the US this year.

wedway71

I think overall Disney still is the leader of the pack. Even Disney isnt imune from chipped paint and budget cuts. I think they do a great job offering a Magical experience for the entire family.

I dont really see a decline in quality or upkeep in the parks. I wonder if there is a decline or is it that we try so hard to find the negatives in the parks.I used to twist and turn my head and neck to try to find chipped paint in a line or spend my entire time looking for broken AA figures instead of enjoying the attraction.

As far as a decline im looking at a pic of me in front of Dumbo when I was about 5 for 6 circa 1977 and there is a big chip in the paint on the side of the gate door and what about the pic of Walt Disney himself driving a Autopia car with the paint on the front bumper all scratched off?
In my humble opinion I still think its the best,cleanest,happiest,place in the entire world.:wave:

cheshiresmile

Original Poster
there is definately no comparison. i was not trying to make one, just saying how much these places make you miss disney! renee

dolbyman

visited wallibi world last month (former six flags holland) ... it's was very clean ... and the attractions were in overall shape ....

in contrast to that was the old Warner Brothers Movie World (also Six Flags) a plain catastrophe... those attractions were in bad overall shape .. parts of the standby areas were ripped apart by waiting guests ... so terrible :hurl:

it's now Movie Park ..because Six flags drew out ouf europe... guess it's much better :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom