Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

BeachClubVillas

CNN is now reporting that the boy was unresponsive when the car pulled into the station after the ride:

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy died on a roller coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Disney could not be reached for comment, and few details were available.

The boy was unresponsive in his seat at the end of the Rock 'N' Roller coaster ride, said Terry McElroy of the Florida Department of Agriculture, which regulates the industry.

The boy was given CPR and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities don't know at this time if he was riding by himself or with family members.

The incident occurred at 11:30 a.m. Disney reported the accident to Florida police at 1 p.m.

Disney shut down the ride and an inspector was on site to observe the Disney investigation. The Orange County Sheriff's Office is conducting an investigation as well.

Disney boasts of the ride on its Web site, "Zoom from 0-60 mph with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack and zip through Tinseltown in the biggest, loudest limo you've ever seen."

One month ago, another child died on the Disney ride "Mission Space" at the Epcot Center.

The article is awful. It makes it sound like Disney is the most dangerous place to take your kids. :rolleyes:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We obviously dont have any facts yet.

But, as has happened before, lets remember that unfortunately, people have pre-existing medical issues that can cause sudden death at any time. With so many guests at WDW, there is the chance that such occurances can take place within WDW. Does this mean WDW us dangerous? Of course not. It means that there are 10s of millions of guests visitng it each year, and by the law of averages, people die at WDW.

bayoutinkbelle

Man, some cold-hearted comments about an incident that happened -- what? -- less than four hours ago.

Sympathies to the family, no matter what the cause.

TheDisneyGirl02

bears163 said:
i have been on many fast roller coasters & RRC is nothing. here in PA hershey park has a coater that is way faster than RRC & no one has died in that ride. Disney just seems to be in this huge rol of bad luck. but i am sure there are going to be those people saying how dangerous the rides are. with all this said it is very sad to see such a young person pass away
You are right, there are some coasters at hershey that are a lot more violent and faster than RRC. It is ashame that this child died, but at the same time, would it be all over the news had this happened at a different theme park?

TheDisneyGirl02

wdwishes2005

BeachClubVillas said:
CNN is now reporting that the boy was unresponsive when the car pulled into the station after the ride:

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy died on a roller coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The boy was unresponsive in his seat at the end of the Rock 'N' Roller coaster ride, said Terry McElroy of the Florida Department of Agriculture, which regulates the industry.

Authorities don't know at this time if he was riding by himself or with family members.

The incident occurred at 11:30 a.m. Disney reported the accident to Florida police at 1 p.m.

Disney shut down the ride and an inspector was on site to observe the Disney investigation. The Orange County Sheriff's Office is conducting an investigation as well.

Disney boasts of the ride on its Web site, "Zoom from 0-60 mph with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack and zip through Tinseltown in the biggest, loudest limo you've ever seen."

One month ago, another child died on the Disney ride "Mission Space" at the Epcot Center.

The article is awful. It makes it sound like Disney is the most dangerous place to take your kids. :rolleyes:
[sarcasm] That's not exaggerated in the least is it? [/sarcasm]

Tim G

wdwishes2005 said:
I felt like I was going to die on IASW. We need to tone it down. It's only a matter of time before someone dies naturally... I mean they die on the ride so therefore it's the ride's fault.
Well... IMO it's the same as with Rio del Tiempo... which is even more dangerous...

Graci23

i hate when stuff like this happens..it really is starting to put WDW in a bad light that is not deserved...All my deepest condolences to the family..but i must say Disney should not be at fault for accidental deaths...doesnt it matter that millions of people have been on these rides multiple times with no problem at all..some people just might unknowingly have health problems... all major rides have plenty of warnings...if the ride malfunctioned than i understand but otherwise it is just a very sad and tragic accident..WDW is the greatest place on earth and millions of people believe the same.

will_hsv

BeachClubVillas said:

Did I miss something?? Or is this just lousy reporting again.

mhead

Videoteck said:
YO THATS SO FREAKIN TRUE!

Get this story....
A year ago I went to Disney, I was waiting in line at Buzz, I looked over where the "bugies" come in and 1 buggie had a foriegn guy in it! When it was time to get off the ride they guy actually stayed on!!!! was he thinking!

P.S. CNN is just as negative as the others. Also saying that the family had bad judgement, means they are idots.

Just so you know if your "buggie" malfunctions during your ride as in does not shoot or will not turn - the cm's willtell you to remain on the ride through the unload area and back onto the ride as it resets.

Tim G

Maybe some evil mind is behind this... some conspiricy...
Like gathering all people with a condition and bringing them to Disney World
and them letting them ride thrill rides... :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

BeachClubVillas

will_hsv said:
Did I miss something?? Or is this just lousy reporting again.

I assume they're talking about the German woman. But that was more than a month ago, wasn't it?

To get back on track, my sympathies go out to the family. Whatever happened, this is a tragedy

bassman

BeachClubVillas said:

thats typical media excajeration(sp?) for you.
and whats all this "disney boasts of the ride on its website" rubbish.

its called marketing/advertising!!.

what does the media expect disney to do,keep all of their rides quiet and have CM's describe exactly what the ride is like as you get in the queue.

sure they do exajerate(sp again:hammer: ?) a bit but thats only to build excitement.

teebin

BeachClubVillas said:

no child died on MS a MONTH ago did they? how could they screw this up? It was over a YEAR ago!

Videoteck said:
He wasnt from the UK.

Ugh even if I am from the UK thats still a pretty rash remark to be making sir :\. Yeah some foreigners do some silly things like getting a wheelchair in order to get the "special" treatment and all, but I've seen enough Americans doing stupid things in the theme parks. It not just us foreign types coming and invading the place and causing chaos or whatnot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom