Both Carousels closing for refurbishments

Tom Morrow

I rode Caroussel of Progress yesterday and noticed that the lighting is quite different. The scenes on the sides (that turn around) are much brighter when they are active. For instance, grandma watching TV and James carving the jack-o-lantern are much better lighted now and I saw details that I never saw before.

Unfortunately I also found that when these scenes are dark you can see behind the curtain much better than you could before. I think this is because of new lights at the top of the curtains. You can see the scenes turning around quite well and you can see the animatronics standing still until they start moving when the lights inside come on. This is not a very good change in my opinion.

Sigh... this sadly seems to be a new trend at WDW. Something is "upgraded" or added but not enough attention or effort is put into integrating it to make it work properly. Its like they only do this stuff so someone can justify their job, and has little to nothing to do with actually improving the show quality.

sporadic

I saw it on June 1st and it looked great. Didn't notice the light bleed mentioned above. Looked like they just cleaned it up a little. Great show! We had constant interruptions last year with people getting up and trying to leave. Ruined the experience. Saw it straight through with no issues this year. The 5yr old was still singing the song a week later so two thumbs up in my book :)

wdw71fan

There was an issue with Carousel yesterday.. In Act II, there were several lighting issues, as well as functional issues with the AA's (also the stove, and a couple of other elements).. Engineering had the service lights at the center of the attraction switched on for several hours yesterday.. This will add a LOT of 'back light' to the rotational scenes in Act's 1-3... Also , it adds a lot of background light in the load/unload scenes as well.. The lighting in the rotational scenes does NOT reveal anything behind the scrims during normal operation.. this was just a issue yesterday.. The decision was made to make repairs with it in operation because both TTA and Space mountain were down for several hours (at the same time) yesterday, so Tomorrowland was operating a VERY reduced capacity for most of the afternoon..

Goofyernmost

So I just found this while trying to find a post 'refurb' video. Poor show and very creepy!
Thoughts?

I think I can agree to "very creepy", but, I'm hard pressed to call it "Poor Show". Poor Show would indicate that this is how it is all the time. Breakdowns create interrupted shows, but, they are not always preventable, so I will cut them some slack for this one. I was there one time when the daughters hand, during the spot where she is allegedly brushing her hair, had fallen off and was dangling there from her wrist. Every time her arm moved, it would just swing around freely. It was fixed by the next day. Crap happens!

prberk

They sent it to Florida to begin with, so there wasn't much love there at the time. Innoventions is the old Carousel of Progress building, but you probably know that already. :) Refresh my memory...IASW, Carousel of Progress and Lincoln were part of the Worlds Fair in 64...what was the fourth?

It was a ride for Ford called Magic Skyway, which featured motorless Ford Mustang - type vehicles going along a track and similar in technology to the WDW PeopleMover (now TTA), passing through lands of Audio-Animatronic dinosaurs, which themselves are now a part of a diorama of scenery on the Disneyland railroad. They can be seen, as can other of Walt Disney's 1964 World's Fair attractions and designs, on an old episode of Walt Disney Presents known as "Disneyland Goes to the World's Fair". It can be seen here, with the Ford dinosaurs in the very first scene:

Check it out, and you will learn a lot about Walt Disney's connection to futurism and understand better his drive later to make EPCOT.

Nemo14

It was a ride for Ford called Magic Skyway, which featured motorless Ford Mustang - type vehicles going along a track and similar in technology to the WDW PeopleMover (now TTA), passing through lands of Audio-Animatronic dinosaurs, which themselves are now a part of a diorama of scenery on the Disneyland railroad. They can be seen, as can other of Walt Disney's 1964 World's Fair attractions and designs, on an old episode of Walt Disney Presents known as "Disneyland Goes to the World's Fair". It can be seen here, with the Ford dinosaurs in the very first scene:

Check it out, and you will learn a lot about Walt Disney's connection to futurism and understand better his drive later to make EPCOT.

true confession: We went to that fair with the school band. My friends and I were goofing around in one of those cars and the PRNDL thingy popped off, so we kept it as a souvenir.
laugh2.gif

prberk

true confession: We went to that fair with the school band. My friends and I were goofing around in one of those cars and the PRNDL thingy popped off, so we kept it as a souvenir.
laugh2.gif

What is a "PRNDL thingy"? Could not figure out this acronym. Brain not connecting it today.

By the way, my parents went to this world's fair and made a connection when Walt Disney World opened in 1971. I was born in 1966, so I was old enough to go in 1972, when we made our first trip. Even then the monorails and promise of a coming "EPCOT" (shown in The Walt Disney Story attraction) really intrigued me. I also clearly remember riding through the Contemporary, and looking down on those people eating and thinking, "I want to stay there one day." And I am blessed enough to have done that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom