Borrowing Restrictions removed - effective July 12th

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Seeing reports that the borrowing restrictions have been removed, effective July 12th.

Scroll down to news and alerts to see the alert.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just got an email about it too.

Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,

At Disney Vacation Club®, we know that flexibility is top of mind when it comes to planning your vacations with us. From accommodation types and length of stay to planning for multiple trips per year, we know you appreciate a variety of options.

With that in mind, our team is pleased to share that you are once again able to borrow your full allotment of Vacation Points from your next Use Year to this Use Year.

Eligible Members are also able to use their points for Disney Collection exchange experiences such as, Disney Cruise Line, National Geographic Expeditions, Adventures by Disney® or Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser.

You can find more information on banking and borrowing Vacation Points at DisneyVacationClub.com.

We can’t wait to welcome you home again during your next vacation!

Sincerely,
1907db23-24c4-3d96-5451-c3f8a8dcd28b.png

Bill Diercksen
Senior Vice President and General Manager
Disney Vacation Club and Aulani

Chip Chipperson

I just got the same e-mail. I'm glad that this restriction is gone. I've only borrowed more than 50% once (and I'm not even 100% certain if I actually did borrow that many), but it's nice to have the option in case we decide to use the points for a big splurge. Plus, it means that the backlog of banked points from the pandemic isn't an issue anymore, so hopefully that means more manageable crowds.

correcaminos

Was very glad to get this email. I bought a CCV add on with the hope of using it effectively every 3 years in a 2 bedroom. I had alternate plans in case but it'd nice this has ended. I've never borrowed more than 50% of total points but planned to in the future.

Chip Chipperson

Was very glad to get this email. I bought a CCV add on with the hope of using it effectively every 3 years in a 2 bedroom. I had alternate plans in case but it'd nice this has ended. I've never borrowed more than 50% of total points but planned to in the future.

We just bought 50 at VGF (the $7/point differencebetween there and our other home resort of AKL made it a better deal thanks to the longer contractand cheapwr dues), so the end of restrictions will add some flexibility to those points. We figured we'd only use them on short visits or split stays and probably add another 50 in a couple years. Being able to borrow 100% might ease the itch to add on sooner.

correcaminos

We just bought 50 at VGF (the $7/point differencebetween there and our other home resort of AKL made it a better deal thanks to the longer contractand cheapwr dues), so the end of restrictions will add some flexibility to those points. We figured we'd only use them on short visits or split stays and probably add another 50 in a couple years. Being able to borrow 100% might ease the itch to add on sooner.
Fortunately we could have done shorter stays or jumped down to 1 bedrooms until it went away. Or just added on there again. But I'd rather hold out doing more Polynesian points next year (or 2024 depending)

Enjoy your VGF points! I was surprised with how much I liked the new rooms last month!

Last edited:

Big_Shakalaka

My wife and I have been kicking the tires on buying DVC, and this was my one last reservation. I wouldnt commit to DVC unless I knew we could borrow 100%. Glad to see this finally changed!

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
My wife and I have been kicking the tires on buying DVC, and this was my one last reservation. I wouldnt commit to DVC unless I knew we could borrow 100%. Glad to see this finally changed!
Just as long as you realise they could change the rules on borrowing and banking at any time.

correcaminos

Just as long as you realise they could change the rules on borrowing and banking at any time.
Yes banking and borrowing can be suspended at any time. I will say since out of 18 years ownership myself and watching since the 90s, I've only seen it happen this once. It would likey take another shut down to happen again i bought a resale knowing the 50% rule, but also pretty sure it wasn't permanent. I think this is not as worrisome as things like AP discounts.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes banking and borrowing can be suspended at any time. I will say since out of 18 years ownership myself and watching since the 90s, I've only seen it happen this once. It would likey take another shut down to happen again i bought a resale knowing the 50% rule, but also pretty sure it wasn't permanent. I think this is not as worrisome as things like AP discounts.
I agree. Just wanted to make sure the poster realised they could be changed. And of course it started off as a 50% rule at the outset. Just like in theory they could change the home resort booking advantage to 1 month.

As far as APs are concerned, I’m part of probably 1% of DVC owners for whom they are of no use whatsoever. I do however appreciate the importance of the discount to the vast majority, I just wish there was also an alternative that would be of more use to me.

correcaminos

I agree. Just wanted to make sure the poster realised they could be changed. And of course it started off as a 50% rule at the outset. Just like in theory they could change the home resort booking advantage to 1 month.

As far as APs are concerned, I’m part of probably 1% of DVC owners for whom they are of no use whatsoever. I do however appreciate the importance of the discount to the vast majority, I just wish there was also an alternative that would be of more use to me.
I think all owners wish we had better options as a whole. I dream of them returning tickets for half occupancy. Mostly because we never even fill half occupancy when we go lol

There is a lot DVC/DVD can try to change. Some things aren't worth a real worry IMO. Especially because as a whole they made life easier for us. The old banking rules/window for example are much improved.

Big_Shakalaka

Oh yes, we know things like "blue card" perks and bank/borrow can change at any time. that's part of the reason we are buying resale. We likely wont use most of the blue card perks, and we really only need the borrow to work for the next few years due to planned trips, then we can work around it it if went away.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
One of the things I wish would come back is the ability to use resale points for the Disney Collection. I'm thinking of buying a Hilton Head resale with 350 banked 2021 points that will expire on Nov. 30 of this year. Sure would like to use those points on a Disney Wish cruise, heck I could even stay at Pop Century for a whole month on 350 points.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
One of the things I wish would come back is the ability to use resale points for the Disney Collection. I'm thinking of buying a Hilton Head resale with 350 banked 2021 points that will expire on Nov. 30 of this year. Sure would like to use those points on a Disney Wish cruise, heck I could even stay at Pop Century for a whole month on 350 points.
Even if you could use resale points for cruises, you could get much better value by renting the points out and paying cash. Using points to pay for a cruise is a) very points intensive (each point I think is valued at around $10 by DCL) and b) in the case of cancellation you don’t get your points back, you get a credit back instead.

I’m sure you know that, but others might not.

My main concern would be whether you’d get the points in time to book the cruise or anything before they expire. It could take 3 months to get the points in your account.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
Even if you could use resale points for cruises, you could get much better value by renting the points out and paying cash. Using points to pay for a cruise is a) very points intensive (each point I think is valued at around $10 by DCL) and b) in the case of cancellation you don’t get your points back, you get a credit back instead.

I’m sure you know that, but others might not.

My main concern would be whether you’d get the points in time to book the cruise or anything before they expire. It could take 3 months to get the points in your account.
Yea, that's the problem. I'm looking at other Hilton Head contracts that have 2022 points banked into 2023. That will eliminate all the stress. We want Hilton Head for the 11 month window. My family has been there and it is driveable for us. We also love Vero Beach and will use these points there. And then there is Saratoga Springs which is easy to get at the 7 month window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom