Boo to the new Magical Express Film

Ben_since_1971

Original Poster
In year's past, my vacation started the minute the ME bus started playing the 'welcome to WDW' movie that had all the characters going on vacation. And on the return trip the film was the reverse - the characters going home. At the very end, just as the bus was approaching MCO, they would all start singing 'M-I-C See you real soon!!!...'. Always brought tears to my eyes.

Now they have some young lady hosting METV - :in pain:. And who needs safety instructions on riding a bus???? Is this some new Florida law? And 'Gus' is not funny.

Looks like Mears is re-asserting themselves in this bit of the WDW experience. I always knew it was their busses driven by their drivers, but the movie really made it feel like it was part of the Disney experience. Now it just doesn't.

FerretAfros

The new host is Carissa Bealert, who often serves as a race announcer for the various runDisney events, alongside Rudy Novotny. She also ran the Jingle Jungle 5K (associated with the Wine & Dine Half Marathon), making a cameo appearance on the announcers' stand

I saw the new video in mid-November and agree that it is a serious downgrade. The old one was a little kitschy, but it had a lot of charm; this one feels very corporate and bland, and was clearly produced in conjunction with the new vacation planning DVD. Both feature a similar look and feel, and were likely generated as part of the NextGen program as a means to introduce MM+ to guests before their visit

Mukta

I agree. The new video to my resort was not nearly as good at the old one.

The one on the way to the airport did make a me laugh a few times. I don't really mind it.

Gomer

They changed the video?!?!? :jawdrop:

Oh no, my wife and son are going to be heart broken. It was one of the last remnants of the old style of trip planning videos before they went to the more polished look they've had over the last 5 years or so.

It will be sorely missed. It had a goofy. whimsical quality that is sadly missing from current videos produced for WDW (meaning planning videos, DVC, and in room television)

FerretAfros

Also, the more I think about it, the mroe it seems like this is the beginnning of the end for the Stacey channel in the hotels as we know it. In the past, she was shown on the default channel every time you turn the TV on; on my trips in January and November, you had to go up or down a couple channels to find her. That, combined with the new one-size-fits-all feel of the new planning video and DME video, makes me worried about the replacement

Yes, the Stacey video is old (I know it was around for several years before my 2009 trip, and has changed little since then), but it's got a lot of charm and is oh-so quotable. I just hope that the replacement is equally fun, and not as bland and corporate as the other things they've done recently

disney4life2008

For some reason - I never have been into the arrival or departure videos. But I do enjoy the arrival one for the obvious reason its prepping for me for my vacation but I would be fine with no video at all. I usually am on the first early morning bus out departing and the drivers usually do not play the video.

TamaraQT

Wow...I never rode the ME bus. But I just watched the video on you tube. I think that is a nice way to start a Disney vacation. No matter how many times you've seen it, I don't think it ever gets old !!!

75disney

At least people are getting a Disney video. In November, we got a Mears bus (no pretty stars on the upholstery) and an America's Funniest Videos episode on our way to the resort. On the way back to the airport, we listened to Christmas music on a radio station! Nothing magical about it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If I wanted to view an infomercial I'd watch TV at home. This video was pathetic.

Just another example of how Iger's Disney does not understand the product they are selling the old one was themed and appropriate and got you in the mood for visiting Disney and started the journey from reality.

This thing from the sounds of it is just corporate beige crap.

NeverEnufDisney

It's just a video version of the Disney Parks blog and is labeled as such. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it's truth in advertising.

Master Gracey 5

My mother is extremely disappointed to hear that the old video is gone. Does anyone know where we can find it online and maybe download it for her?

Ben_since_1971

Original Poster
I don't know about downloading, but you can find it here on Youtube:

We always rent a car when we are down there. We would always take ME and then use a Hertz local edition for the car. The video was always one of the big reasons why we took ME. This new video is so meh, I am seriously considering renting from MCO. I use Hertz points (from my business travel) so the cost difference (I do pay taxes and some fees) is negligible.

StarWarsGirl

Now they have some young lady hosting METV - :in pain:. And who needs safety instructions on riding a bus???? Is this some new Florida law? And 'Gus' is not funny.
Some international travelers might not know to dial 911 in the event of an emergency, but you would think that there would be enough Americans on board who would know to dial 911. Gus is absolutely not funny. He's the same guy who did the souvenir Epcot video a few years ago (as Professor Sci N. Tific). He was just as annoying in the video as he is on the bus video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom