Boma vs Tusker House

DfromATX

Original Poster
I understand that we're in the minority here, but when we ate at Boma a few years ago, we didn't like it much. We've eaten Ethiopian food before and enjoyed it, but my husband really dislikes Indian food (and he's Middle Eastern, go figure lol). I would really like to try Tusker House, but I'm wondering if it's the same food as Boma? I'm considering booking a reservation at TH for the ROL dining package, but it's pretty expensive and I don't want to pay so much for something we may not like.

Schneewittchen

I have no experience with Boma, but I went to Tusker House last spring. And I love Indian and Ethiopian food. I've event tried Ghanian, not bad. Anyway, back to WDW. A lot of people like Tusker House, but I wasn't feeling it the night I tried it.

For lunch that day, we went to Yak & Yeti. I had the Chicken Tikka Masala with a Yak Attack and was in heaven. And I'll rave about Sanaa too. Awesome place.

Tusker House doesn't do it for me though. There were quite a few curried type dishes that seemed to have a lot of coconut-oily stuff. Yuck to me. Always upsets my stomach. The salady things were okay. And the characters were fantastic.

Next time we visit AK, I'm thinking to do Yak & Yeti for dinner, and maybe try Flame Tree BBQ for lunch.

DfromATX

Original Poster
I have no experience with Boma, but I went to Tusker House last spring. And I love Indian and Ethiopian food. I've event tried Ghanian, not bad. Anyway, back to WDW. A lot of people like Tusker House, but I wasn't feeling it the night I tried it.

For lunch that day, we went to Yak & Yeti. I had the Chicken Tikka Masala with a Yak Attack and was in heaven. And I'll rave about Sanaa too. Awesome place.

Tusker House doesn't do it for me though. There were quite a few curried type dishes that seemed to have a lot of coconut-oily stuff. Yuck to me. Always upsets my stomach. The salady things were okay. And the characters were fantastic.

Next time we visit AK, I'm thinking to do Yak & Yeti for dinner, and maybe try Flame Tree BBQ for lunch.

Thanks. We have an Ethiopian restaurant nearby that we tried and the food was really good. I don't know if African dishes typically have curry like Indian, but ours did not and that was my only experience with African food. Now I am beginning to really like curry... recently I made a chicken salad with curry and it was so delicious if I say so myself. And last night I made a curry beef stew which was also good. (I'm on the Whole30 diet right now so if you know about that, that's why I'm making these dishes.) My husband wouldn't even try it! My son did and he liked it. But anyway, from what I've seen on the menu for TH, I'm just not sure the rest of my family will like it, not if there are a lot of curry-based dishes. I guess I can do a fast pass for ROL... thank you for replying.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I understand that we're in the minority here, but when we ate at Boma a few years ago, we didn't like it much. We've eaten Ethiopian food before and enjoyed it, but my husband really dislikes Indian food (and he's Middle Eastern, go figure lol). I would really like to try Tusker House, but I'm wondering if it's the same food as Boma? I'm considering booking a reservation at TH for the ROL dining package, but it's pretty expensive and I don't want to pay so much for something we may not like.

Starch and sauce, with a few meats tossed in for familiarity. Not too good for food in my DW's and my opinion. No comparison to Boma.

correcaminos

Boma isn't Indian either though. We eat enough of that to know. It's African *inspired* though they mention Kenya and S. Africa in their write up. IMO they really don't do a great job of food there. My husband liked the carving station, but the rest was meh. Tusker house isn't quite the same as Boma though, but I cannot say it's great either. In general I think those buffets aren't really all that great...

DfromATX

Original Poster
Boma isn't Indian either though. We eat enough of that to know. It's African *inspired* though they mention Kenya and S. Africa in their write up. IMO they really don't do a great job of food there. My husband liked the carving station, but the rest was meh. Tusker house isn't quite the same as Boma though, but I cannot say it's great either. In general I think those buffets aren't really all that great...

Thanks. I couldn't really remember what the food was like at Boma except that we didn't think it was that great. For some reason, I thought both Boma and TH had an African and Indian flare to it.

JohnD

Do TH for the ROL dining package at breakfast. It's the least expensive cost at $35/person. While both breakfasts have ethnic choices and are buffets, they all have typical fare too -- scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes, Mickey waffles, bacon, sausage, etc. You get the added bonus of meeting Mickey, Goofy, Daisy, and Donald.

DfromATX

Original Poster
Do TH for the ROL dining package at breakfast. It's the least expensive cost at $35/person. While both breakfasts have ethnic choices and are buffets, they all have typical fare too -- scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes, Mickey waffles, bacon, sausage, etc. You get the added bonus of meeting Mickey, Goofy, Daisy, and Donald.

That may be a good idea!

DfromATX

Original Poster
Yep. That is exactly what I did. Finally got a breakfast at 10:50. The great thing there is you arrive for breakfast and leave during lunch. You get a $35 "brunch" with breakfast and lunch items as they start putting out lunch at 11am.

Thank you for telling me this. That's what I think I will do. We are not big breakfast eaters (early), but a brunch would be perfect! I hope I can get a late time like that.

JohnD

Thank you for telling me this. That's what I think I will do. We are not big breakfast eaters (early), but a brunch would be perfect! I hope I can get a late time like that.

It's not an "official" brunch. But if you book after 10:30, you'll get to partake in both buffets. It turns out I had enough to eat at breakfast that I didn't go back for lunch, although I grabbed a chocolate chip cookie on the way out of the door (not available at breakfast). BTW, breakfast is $39, not $35 for adults.

DfromATX

Original Poster
It's not an "official" brunch. But if you book after 10:30, you'll get to partake in both buffets. It turns out I had enough to eat at breakfast that I didn't go back for lunch, although I grabbed a chocolate chip cookie on the way out of the door (not available at breakfast). BTW, breakfast is $39, not $35 for adults.

That's fine. Having a late breakfast will give us time to rope drop FOP and work up an appetite. We'll probably skip lunch and do an early dinner. :)

DfromATX

Original Poster
@JohnD, one more question if you don't mind... if we manage to do a late breakfast, say 10:30 or 10:50, do you think we have time to rope drop FOP and then run to the river ride before breakfast?

JohnD

@JohnD, one more question if you don't mind... if we manage to do a late breakfast, say 10:30 or 10:50, do you think we have time to rope drop FOP and then run to the river ride before breakfast?

I can't speak to waits if you plan on doing both. I'd say if you plan to rope drop FOP and had a FP+ for Navi River Journey or vice versa, you could probably do that. As for standby on both, iffy. There's just no way to know how much the wait times increase after doing the first ride -- many will have the same idea as you.

Fortunately, you do have a "secret" passageway from Pandora to Africa (similar to between Casey's Circus and Tomorrowland) that will get you to TH in about 5 minutes. See http://allears.net/tp/maps/disneys-animal-kingdom-map.pdf.

I do know this: On the night I saw Rivers of Light, after the show, I immediately went back to Pandora and got in line for Navi River Journey. (I had a FP+ for FOP earlier). I had no more than a 5 minute wait.

Last edited:

DfromATX

Original Poster
I can't speak to waits if you plan on doing both. I'd say if you plan to rope drop FOP and had a FP+ for Navi River Journey or vice versa, you could probably do that. As for standby on both, iffy. There's just know way to know how much the wait times increase after doing the other ride -- many will have the same idea as you.

Fortunately, you do have a "secret" passageway from Pandora to Africa (similar to between Casey's Circus and Tomorrowland) that will get you to TH in about 5 minutes. See http://allears.net/tp/maps/disneys-animal-kingdom-map.pdf

Our trip is a ways off, but my plan so far is to rope drop FOP and then high tail it over to Navi River with hopefully minimal wait, then I am hoping to score a FP for FOP in the evening so we can experience day and night times.

JohnD

Our trip is a ways off, but my plan so far is to rope drop FOP and then high tail it over to Navi River with hopefully minimal wait, then I am hoping to score a FP for FOP in the evening so we can experience day and night times.

I edited my post while you replied. On my day in AK, I had a FP+ for FOP. After Rivers of Light, I went back into Pandora and got it in line for Navi River. I had a 5 minute wait for it.

JohnD

One more thing: Not sure how of this will be a factor but Toy Story Land in HS will be open by then. There could be some bleed off to HS decreasing wait times. Probably not by much, though.

DfromATX

Original Poster
One more thing: Not sure how of this will be a factor but Toy Story Land in HS will be open by then. There could be some bleed off to HS decreasing wait times. Probably not by much, though.

I hope so! I wasn't sure if it would be open by June or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom