Boma or 'Ohana?

gracie1

Original Poster
I have an ADR for dinner at 'Ohana and now I'm second guessing it. Should we switch to Boma? I keep hearing more and more negative things about 'Ohana..yet we've been anxious to try it. We are already doing breakfast there, but have heard breakfast and dinner are two different experiences. What would you do?

plaz10

The only reason I would say stick with Ohana is because I'm a picky eater and I hear that there is not as much for picky eaters like myself at Boma.

slappy magoo

The only reason I would say stick with Ohana is because I'm a picky eater and I hear that there is not as much for picky eaters like myself at Boma.

I'd disagree for the same reasons. Sure there are some exotic dishes at Boma, but for the most part, it's stuff you're familiar with maybe with a little more spice to it. They'll have chicken and fish. They'll have some kind of beef at the carving table. Side dishes will include potatoes and rice, veggies and salads. Try a little something, and if you like it, go get more, if not, go get something else. I'm an incredibly picky eater, and Boma is one of my favorite places to eat, a must-do for my wife and I ever since our first trip.

And if worse comes to worst and you hate absolutely everything, well, hell, there's still the kids table where you can find chicken fingers and fries and macaroni and cheese, even some tiny PB&J sandwiches. And the desserts rock.

We've been to Ohanas twice. The first time was great, and the second time was meh. While it's great that they keep bringing skewers of meat, and you can have as much of whatever you want, I find the variety far better at Boma. And despite the fact that Boma's a buffet, I find it to be one of the most consistently-freshest tasting buffets I've ever had anywhere.

tigsmom

I'd disagree for the same reasons. Sure there are some exotic dishes at Boma, but for the most part, it's stuff you're familiar with maybe with a little more spice to it. They'll have chicken and fish. They'll have some kind of beef at the carving table. Side dishes will include potatoes and rice, veggies and salads. Try a little something, and if you like it, go get more, if not, go get something else. I'm an incredibly picky eater, and Boma is one of my favorite places to eat, a must-do for my wife and I ever since our first trip.

And if worse comes to worst and you hate absolutely everything, well, hell, there's still the kids table where you can find chicken fingers and fries and macaroni and cheese, even some tiny PB&J sandwiches. And the desserts rock.

We've been to Ohanas twice. The first time was great, and the second time was meh. While it's great that they keep bringing skewers of meat, and you can have as much of whatever you want, I find the variety far better at Boma. And despite the fact that Boma's a buffet, I find it to be one of the most consistently-freshest tasting buffets I've ever had anywhere.

I have to agree! My DH and DDs are very picky when it comes to food, but they all found something great to eat at Boma. My kids loved the ribs as well as the durban chicken and the DH had no problems finding stuff he liked as well. I loved the salmon and the many salads.veggies. I would not hesitate to go there again. We also found some nice wine there and have had it at home since, it's become a favorite.

Pioneer Hall

I would pick Boma given the option between the two. I like 'Ohana, but I do agree that it isn't as good as my first visit there about 7 years ago. I find Boma to be a great buffet offering some incredible choices.

DisneyPrincess5

This next trip will be our first time at Ohana for dinner and I've heard nothing but positivity-my mom pushed it as it is her favorite restaurant at Disney and we want to try Boma too. Do like us and just book both if you can! :)

Phonedave

'Ohana has, in my opinion, gone downhill. It is now a pass for me (my kids feel the same way). It's not bad, but it is not something we particulary enjoy.

Boma was OK. My kids liked it for the most part. Not loved it, but liked it.

I found it, to be honest, on the tame side. i was expecting some things I had never heard of or tasted. There were some new (to me) dishes, but I found most of the flavors pretty muted. The bobotie is good, it is a favorite of mine ever since I had it a a F&W festival a few years back. But again, it was nothing new to me. I also fail to see the attraction of the zebra domes.

However, given a choice of 'Ohana or Boma - I would go with Boma. Not by much, but that is my choice.

-dave

Wilt Dasney

Boma is the answer. :slurp:

(What was the question?)

I would suggest Boma, as long as you're ready for flavors that will haunt you in the darkest and loneliest hours of your nights for months to follow.

dreamscometrue

BOMA is one of our favs on property and we do breakfast there and supper (I mean dinner) at least once each visit. Admittedly that is easy for us since we are DVC members and always spend part of our vacation at AKL, but we'd go there even if it was 'out of the way' a bit.

BTW, if you have your reservation quite early (5pm or so), you may want to get to the resort early and take the half hour BOMA/Jiko culinary tour. It begins at the BOMA podium at 4pm...you should 'check in' at 3:45pm or so. You learn about the food offered at both, and get to sample a few things. :)

If you are going to do this and then have your meal soon afterwards, go there very hungry. I was too full last time to try all 5 soups. :)

WDWScottieBoy

BTW, if you have your reservation quite early (5pm or so), you may want to get to the resort early and take the half hour BOMA/Jiko culinary tour. It begins at the BOMA podium at 4pm...you should 'check in' at 3:45pm or so. You learn about the food offered at both, and get to sample a few things. :)

If you are going to do this and then have your meal soon afterwards, go there very hungry. I was too full last time to try all 5 soups. :)

I've never heard of this. We almost always made our dinner reservations for early since there were always very few people there. I never have had Jiko but wanted to try it.

Is there a cost for this tour (if so, how much) and do you just show up or need reservations?

Cinderella1976

I have only been to Boma for breakfast (which we enjoyed very much) so I can't comment on the dinner, but I have been to 'Ohana four times for dinner and have always had a great experience. The food was good and the service was excellent. My kids enjoyed the coconut races, doing the limbo and the hula dancing. I plan on visiting 'Ohana again on our next trip in December.

Nicole220

'Ohana has, in my opinion, gone downhill. It is now a pass for me (my kids feel the same way). It's not bad, but it is not something we particulary enjoy.

Boma was OK. My kids liked it for the most part. Not loved it, but liked it.

I found it, to be honest, on the tame side. i was expecting some things I had never heard of or tasted. There were some new (to me) dishes, but I found most of the flavors pretty muted. The bobotie is good, it is a favorite of mine ever since I had it a a F&W festival a few years back. But again, it was nothing new to me. I also fail to see the attraction of the zebra domes.

However, given a choice of 'Ohana or Boma - I would go with Boma. Not by much, but that is my choice.

-dave
Go for the soups. The soups will blow your mind. As will everything else. But the soups are to die for.

If you try Boma's you will only eat there once... Ohana's on the other hand is pretty good...
That's impossible.

disneyrcks

'Ohana! Hands down! We loved everything about our dining experience there......We had never eaten there before August 2010 so we can't compare it to the way it used to be, however it was full on awesome when we ate there!! The broccoli (sp?), noodles, and the meat, oh the meat, was sooooo awesome! We had a table facing the castle (well one of us did lol) what a great view for dinner! They also gave us a celebratory dessert cause we were on our honeymoon (though this happens at many places). You can see the fire where they are cooking everything! I think it really depends on what dining experience u are going for....do u want a sit down or a buffet? Another awesome aspect of 'OHanna is that it is at the Poly so u can hang on the beach before or after your meal....sit in the swing or chill in one of the hammocks. I went with my husband so we wanted to sit and just hang together....not get up and do the buffet thing......that will also factor in to what u want. Sorry for rambling so much lol....enjoy ur vacay:wave:

wvdisneyfamily

A CM at the Poly told me Ohana's dinner is second to none. I have not had dinner there. Breakfast is slightly disappointing. Boma's dinner has one thing on every other dinner in the World - Zebra Domes. Other than that, Boma's dinner is blah. Breakfast there is probably tied with the Crystal Palace as my favorite. If I were you, I'd keep dinner at Ohana and look at Boma for breakfast.

Phonedave

Go for the soups. The soups will blow your mind. As will everything else. But the soups are to die for.

Honestly, the soups did not 'blow my mind'. They were good, don't get me wrong. In fact they are very good. But they are nothing NEW, at least to me. Carrot & Ginger? Thats mainstream. Butternut squash - my parents have been growing and preparing them in hundreds of ways since I was 3.

This is the current list of soups on the roatation at Boma.

Chicken Pepper Pot
Curried Coconut Seafood Stew
Chicken Corn Porridge
Butternut Squash Soup
Blackeye Pea with Ginger Juice
Potato Bacon
Lamb & Rice Stew
Mulligatawny
Seafood Gumbo
Plantain Corn Chowder
Carrot & Ginger
Oxtail Barley Soup
Three Bean Gumbo with Sausage
Coconut Curry Chicken Stew
Moroccan Seafood Stew

The only one that I would say is a new idea to me is the blackeye pea with ginger. And that has never been on the rotation when I was there.

A quick web search for African Soups yeilds

African Peanut Soup - containing peanuts, peanut butter, onions, and tomatos. THAT is interesting to me. Never had peanuts and onions before.

Afang Soup - With beef stock, beef, periwinkles, dried fish, and greens. Dried fish in a beef based broth. Again, not something I have had before.

It's not just the soups. The who menu seems to be - well simplified.

A friend of a friend was Peace Corps in Senegal. At a party at his house, he made a Poulet Yassa (Chicken with lemon and carmelized onions) that was just amazing. Of course, having spent time in Africa, his lit you up (he gets some awsome peppers - I grow my own). I poached the recipe from him and now make it on a regular basis.

I am not saying WDW has to make one like mine that melts your teeth, but somthing with some spice and bold flavors in it. Yassa is like the hamburger of Senegal. I was suprised they don't have it on the menu.

They have bobotie, which is popular, but is not a strongly flavored dish. It is good, but not really what I would call a flavor canvas.

It's not that I don't like Boma - I do. I was just expecting more new flavors to be introduced to me.

-dave

gracie1

Original Poster
'Ohana! Hands down! We loved everything about our dining experience there......We had never eaten there before August 2010 so we can't compare it to the way it used to be, however it was full on awesome when we ate there!! The broccoli (sp?), noodles, and the meat, oh the meat, was sooooo awesome! We had a table facing the castle (well one of us did lol) what a great view for dinner! They also gave us a celebratory dessert cause we were on our honeymoon (though this happens at many places). You can see the fire where they are cooking everything! I think it really depends on what dining experience u are going for....do u want a sit down or a buffet? Another awesome aspect of 'OHanna is that it is at the Poly so u can hang on the beach before or after your meal....sit in the swing or chill in one of the hammocks. I went with my husband so we wanted to sit and just hang together....not get up and do the buffet thing......that will also factor in to what u want. Sorry for rambling so much lol....enjoy ur vacay:wave:

Thanks so much for the info! So even if we aren't staying at the Poly, can we still walk around on the beach after dinner? The kids would love that! I feel the same way about buffets, I really don't care for them. I hate the getting up and down constantly with the kids and not really feeling like we have a chance to all be at the table at one time! :)

SCDisneyfanatic

If you can get your reservation late enough to see the MK Fireworks, O'hana is a great time (especially for those that have never experienced it). I will say, when they served the Pineapple and caramel for desert, it was a better overall experience.

Boma is good food, but in our party of 12, many of the folks barely ate enough to warrant the cost...and much of the food was nothing special, unless you are a fan of spicy (which I am).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom