BOMA Mulligatawny Soup

epcotisbest

Original Poster
The Mulligatawny Soup at BOMA is one of our favorites and my wife has made it at home a few times. This time she used honeycrisp (instead of Granny Smith like she usually does) apples and a little extra curry. Wow...very good. Took the pic before she added a little dollop of whipped cream to the top.
Do you have a favorite Disney inspired soup, since it is now getting to be soup weather?

soup.jpg

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Here is the recipe she followed:

Mulligatawny Soup Boma Animal Kingdom Lodge

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
3 Tablespoons chicken base (add to chicken stock)
2 cups Chicken Breast, diced chunky
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
2 tablespoons Milk
1/2 cup Celery, diced
1/2 cup Carrots, diced
1/2 cup Onion, diced
1 tablespoon Curry Powder, toasted
1 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 tablespoons Honey
2 tablespoons Hot Sauce
1 1/2 cups Apples, frozen and cut in half
1 1/2 teaspoons Chopped Parsley
Roux (1/3 cup butter and 2/3 cup flour)
Method
Melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux and set aside.
Poach chicken breast in chicken stock until 3/4 done, remove, and cut diced, chunky style. Remove excess fat from the
stock. Add roux, milk and heavy cream. Let simmer until thickened. Add the celery, carrots, and curry powder. Let cook
until vegetables are half done. Add the remaining ingredients including diced chicken.
Let simmer until peppers are tender. Add apples at the last minute. Adjust seasoning. Add parsley when ready to serve.

zurgandfriend

I love a good cup of soup when the fall comes along as well. I will admit I have not had the mulligatawny soup at Boma. I usually get a cup of lobster bisque at Shula’s, Yachtsman etc. My favorite usual soup is the strawberry soup from the 1900 Park fare. I have also enjoyed the sweet corn bisque at Hollywood Brown Derby.

Phonedave

Smokey Portabello Mushroom soup at Artist Point (maybe no longer at Artist Point)

In the above recipe, some questions.

I assume this is a blonde roux. A roux can range from light blond (almost white) to the color of dark chocolate depending on how much you cook it.

Whats the deal with the apples? Frozen and cut in half. That does not make any sense.

Was this recipe from WDW? As was said there is a lot of variation in curry powders. While not so much, there is also variations in chicken stock (and base) I could follow this recipe and depending on the curry, stock, base, and amount of cooking of the roux, have two totally different tasting soups.

JIMINYCR

I love this time of year just because of the soups, chilis and chowders DW makes at home
At WDW I always order no matter what time of year it is... the Crema de Elote (Creme corn soup) at La Hacienda, the Cheddar Cheese soup at Le Celliere and the French Onion soup at BOG. I am a French Onion soup lover so thats my favorite. At BOG they have one thats a different flavor from what I usually get at home. DS had never tried french Onion soup until our recent trip and I convinced him to get an order at BOG which he loved. Now hes trying French onion soup at every restaurant he goes to that offers it. See, Dad knows best.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Smokey Portabello Mushroom soup at Artist Point (maybe no longer at Artist Point)

In the above recipe, some questions.

I assume this is a blonde roux. A roux can range from light blond (almost white) to the color of dark chocolate depending on how much you cook it.

Whats the deal with the apples? Frozen and cut in half. That does not make any sense.

Was this recipe from WDW? As was said there is a lot of variation in curry powders. While not so much, there is also variations in chicken stock (and base) I could follow this recipe and depending on the curry, stock, base, and amount of cooking of the roux, have two totally different tasting soups.

Yeah, she makes a light roux, not dark at all and it mostly serves as a thickener. Used Penzey's powdered curry and she does taste it and gets it to her liking. As for chicken stock, she just uses bought, not sure of the brand.
As for the apples, yeah, she dices them, never done the cut in half thing. I think the freezing part is so they don't get too mushy in the soup and why you add then last.
The recipe came from another website that is all ears.

Amos1784

The Conch Chowder at Olivia's is delicious, another favorite of ours is the Sopa Azteca at San Angel. We have made both at home when having Disney withdrawal :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom