BOG lunch...worth it?

Tk0021

Lunch is the best meal at BOG in my opinion, and I feel completely transported into the movie when I'm there. Besides the tuna salad (which we talked about ;)) the sandwiches and soups don't look like anything fancy, but they are quite delicious actually, even if they are probably overpriced.

However, we had a great experience at Skipper Canteen as well, and thought the theme was pretty great there as well, obviously very different from BOG. The kids might enjoy the silly Jungle Cruise humor. A meal here is going to cost you more than what you would pay at BOG if price is one of your concerns, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. It's QS vs TS.
Do you need reservations for lunch at BoG? I have eaten dinner there twice, but never lunch or breakfast

Oh bother!

We had lunch at BoG and dinner at skippers canteen in March. If I had to chose between them I would do BoG lunch again.

The food was good, for quick service, and I liked being able to select which room I sat in. BATB is my favourite movie though! We had an early lunch didn’t find it to hectic in there.

Skippers canteen disappointed us a little. The food was OK but it lacked ambience for us. The server half-heartedly did a few jokes but didn’t really sure much enthusiasm. We also felt very, very rushed.
Courses came up extremely quickly and he bill arrived before I’d asked and without the server checking if I would like further drinks etc.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Things may have changed, but we when to BoG a number of years ago, my wife was tickled pink that we got a reservation. I think overall the whole lunch experience was underwhelming in that we had to choose our meals from a kiosk and then find a seat. It just left a bad taste in our mouth. We've eaten dinner there since then and the dinner experience is much different (and better). Like I said this was several years ago, and things could have changed.

Oh bother!

Things may have changed, but we when to BoG a number of years ago, my wife was tickled pink that we got a reservation. I think overall the whole lunch experience was underwhelming in that we had to choose our meals from a kiosk and then find a seat. It just left a bad taste in our mouth. We've eaten dinner there since then and the dinner experience is much different (and better). Like I said this was several years ago, and things could have changed.
I’d agree dinner at BoG was better than lunch for us, however it is changing menu soon and I’m not sure we would go back on the new set up

rnese

In my breakfast/lunch experiences, after you order or even if you preorder, you're given the 'rose' and you find your own table in one of the three dining rooms. We were never shown/told where to sit.
Hmm. What time of year did you go? We were there in July. I recall CM's asking us to wait with them at BOG, Starlight Cafe, and Columbia Harbour House. I believe someone told me (a CM in fact) that it was to keep people from going in, sitting down at an open table, then sending a family member back to the lines to order. I distinctly remember that because that's usually what my family did in past visits.

Darkseid

I did both on my last trip, on the same day. We did an early lunch at BoG and a late dinner at Skipper Canteen.

They are both unique, theme-immersed restaurants. BoG is absolutely gorgeous, and appealed to my anti-BatB DS as much as it appealed to me, a fan of the movie. There were a lot of people there and it got a little stressful trying to find a table in our preferred area. We were lucky enough to have a wonderful Skipper at Skipper Canteen, so there were lots of giggles. The restaurant was nearly empty, so she also took us on a tour of the restaurant to show us all of the little details. I really appreciate the theme for both, but I found SC to be significantly more inviting and less stressful. My DS8 declared it to be his favorite restaurant during the entire trip.

I personally thought the food was significantly better at Skipper Canteen. The food at BoG is not bad, but it didn't really blow my mind. The desserts at Skipper Canteen are a billion times better, if that matters to you. I might be alone in this opinion, but the grey stuff is not, in fact, delicious.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either choice, but I would recommend Skipper Canteen.

belledream

Hmm. What time of year did you go? We were there in July. I recall CM's asking us to wait with them at BOG, Starlight Cafe, and Columbia Harbour House. I believe someone told me (a CM in fact) that it was to keep people from going in, sitting down at an open table, then sending a family member back to the lines to order. I distinctly remember that because that's usually what my family did in past visits.
I’ve been every September for the past few years, multiple B, L, and D meals and we always seated ourselves at B and L. Maybe it’s supposedly slightly less hectic in fall vs summer so they changed the protocol? Just a wild guess.

drcasey

I’ve been to lunch at both and highly recommend skipper canteen over BOG. BOG was a complete zoo and made it totally unenjoyable. We waited in a huge line to get in even with reservations and the food was not good. My family really enjoyed skipper canteen and isn’t go back again in a heartbeat! Won’t go back to BOG unless it’s for dinner

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
BOG is a little different as no one is allowed inside the building until summoned by a CM. Those who have pre-ordered their meals are directed to the left where they pay and find their own tables. Those who need to order are directed to the right to the waiting area (Knight room) before ordering at the kiosks. In both scenarios the entire party is together. Sometimes a CM may “hold” a party after kiosk ordering and help find a table, but this is the exception, not protocol.

HwdStudio

This is usually done during very busy times for the purposes you stated. People with food would be unable to sit because other families took a seat and sent someone to order.

LeighM

I was just there in March during spring break. We pre-ordered our lunches and after checking in, we were directed to the left where we confirmed our order and paid for our meals. We were no longer given a rose to put on the table because they used our MagicBands to track us. We had to find our own table. This is how it worked when we did breakfast there a few years ago although I think they were still using the roses.

Ted Daggett

the last time I was at MK, my daughter and her friend wanted to go inside of BoG, but the menus were not appetizing to them. So I got a reservation for a late lunch time, and we all only ordered a cupcake with Grey Stuff icing, and we used it as a mid day snack and time to rest, and everyone got to see the inside of the restaurant. I think the cupcake was under $5.

tribbleorlfl

I personally think lunch is a much better value than dinner. While our one dinner meal was perfectly fine, it certainly wasn't worth what we paid for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom