News Bobby Mouse needs his cut.. (Price Increase)

zooey

The point wasn’t about money. The point was Disney legitimately thinks GotG and Pixar Pier are great products, worthy enough to stay in the parks. SW and money have nothing to do with that.
I have normal, non-Disney gaga friends who absolutely loved Mission Breakout and do see it as a standout. I don’t think you can completely blame Disney for what the public now expects theme parks to deliver. The tastes have changed and Disney changed to meet that.
Still, when you watch old Disneyland footage and shows, it’s incredible how much HASN’T changed. The park is more or less what it has always been even as the outside world around it changes drastically.
All signs point to SWGE being an incredible, groundbreaking land that will set the new standard for themed entertainment. I agree that at this point it’s moreso a disagreement with the changes in cultural tastes and entertainment expectations than anything to do with Disney specifically.

D.Silentu

I agree with what you say, save for one thing. Price increases have occurred annually, but only a few of the years have been marked with any kind of addition to the parks, save for the odd "celebration". There is a disparity between what they now charge and the measurable growth or improvement in the parks(at least from the guest point of view). Galaxy's Edge will not close this gap, but now that they do seem to be investing it will be interesting to see if the prices feel more appropriate in a few years.

Ismael Flores

It's obviously a $ issue. Knott's just doesn't have the deep pockets and lavish budgets that Disney does.

They are just playing a different kind of game over in Buena Park. It's almost unfair to compare the two businesses in the same sentence.
I actually didn’t, you did. 😊

i just said that xcelerator stays closed more than it stays open. you brought up Disneyland.

You are right about it probably being a money thing but lets not forget that Knotts is no longer family owned. It is owned by a large corporation that runs twelve amusement parks, two outdoor water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels in the US and Canada.
they also are oart of the NYSE and are on the top ten most attended amusement park corporation.

no excuse when it comes to operational budget issues on a signature ride being open all day.

Stevek

I have normal, non-Disney gaga friends who absolutely loved Mission Breakout and do see it as a standout. I don’t think you can completely blame Disney for what the public now expects theme parks to deliver. The tastes have changed and Disney changed to meet that.
Still, when you watch old Disneyland footage and shows, it’s incredible how much HASN’T changed. The park is more or less what it has always been even as the outside world around it changes drastically.
All signs point to SWGE being an incredible, groundbreaking land that will set the new standard for themed entertainment. I agree that at this point it’s moreso a disagreement with the changes in cultural tastes and entertainment expectations than anything to do with Disney specifically.
I know plenty of Disney fans, like myself, that thoroughly enjoy GOTG:MB. I think it's a better overall ride experience. Now does it feel out of place? Yeah, right now but I'm guessing folks won't feel that as much once it's part of the whole marvel land.

Stevek

I looked at the Staples Center website this afternoon, which sent me to their official axs.com ticket purchase site.

Using their price filter, it shows absolutely no tickets left less than $200 for the January 22nd concert, so if you snagged them for $75 awhile ago congrats!
I paid well below $100 for decent seats at the Forum for a show early Feb. Stubhub.

Californian Elitist

Typical, general guests will eat up any and everything Disney puts out, and they (Disney) know that, hence why they take advantage. The typical guests are ignorant.

Guests would have still been riding that same tower if it was still themed to an 1920’s Hollywood hotel.

fctiger

Thanks! I’m super excited. May or many squeeze in a visit to Germany and France as well. We shall see. :)

You'll have a great time in all those places but Italy is actually one of the most beautiful countries I been to. I just love the architecture there and I don't really care about architecture lol. DLP is what first brought me to France but on my other visits it was France that brought me back. ;)

fctiger

I agree with this completely. I was ready to hate MB and ended up loving it. I have both casual friends and family who goes to the park every few years and my hardcore Disney fan friends who spend time on sites like this and was just as skeptical ended up loving it too. I been on it about five times now and every time the entire boarding party goes crazy in it. It's just really fun and additive! And my last visit I got a new ride scene and music I never got before. In fact I think there is still 1 or 2 more I haven't seen yet. That's why its so fun, its very repeatable.

Taste do change, that's just reality. The movies and music popular today are just very different then they were 30-50 years ago. I imagine in another 30 years there will be another big evolution in change. But as you said, so much of DL that was around at least the first 20 years is still there and probably about 80% of the park so that pull for nostalgia will never change as well.

Californian Elitist

You'll have a great time in all those places but Italy is actually one of the most beautiful countries I been to. I just love the architecture there and I don't really care about architecture lol. DLP is what first brought me to France but on my other visits it was France that brought me back. ;)

I have been obsessed with Italy since I was a child.

I have only seen the architecture in photos, but I imagine it’s even better in person. I’m overwhelmed by how much of the country I would like to see.

Regarding France, I’m considering taking a French language class there for maybe a week. But DLP sounds like a fun reason to visit, too. ;)

BrianLo

Ah, yes... love the LA Times, randomly quoting the 2018 consumer price index of 2.2%, historically very, very low for yet another year. (And now dropping further in '19 with the falling gasoline prices) As if the inflation rate should somehow dictate what a private company charges free consumers for their in-demand product. :rolleyes:

Now you kids all know me, so this is where I pop in with my usual Price Comparison Chart of Random SoCal Entertainment Offerings;

Los Angeles Rams Game, LA Coliseum, Saturday January 12th
End Zone Nosebleed seats - $160 per seat
Visitors Side Mid-Tier 40 Yard Line seats - $560 per seat
Home Side Great Seats - $1,899 to $3,000 per seat
Coliseum Parking - $60 at USC campus surface lots

Los Angeles Philharmonic, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Turangalila Symphony, Saturday, January 19th
Orchestra seats - $164 per seat

Los Angeles Lakers, Staples Center, Sunday January 13th
Behind the net Nosebleed seats - $210 per seat
Midlevel at the Net - $455 per seat
Down Front near the Net - $699 per seat
Courtside - $6,499 per seat

Elton John Concert, Staples Center, Friday January 25th
Nosebleed Opposite End seats - $224 per seat
Bleachers Right of Stage - $510 per seat
Row 24 On Floor Right of Stage - $900 per seat

Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort, Mammoth CA, (current conditions 17 degrees, 50 inch base and 18 inches of new snow)
One Day Lift Ticket Adult - $169

Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park CA
One Day Adult Ticket pre-purchase - $46
One Day All-Inclusive Ticket pre-purchase - $182
(includes park admission, parking, All Day Dining plan, souvenir bottle with free refills, Fast Lane access to all rides, FunPix photos)
Annual Pass Adult - $95

Sea World, San Diego CA
One Day Adult Ticket pre-purchase - $81
One Day Adult Ticket plus All Day Dining - $102
Annual Pass Adult - $119
(No blockout dates, includes Parking, and 2 free tickets to give to friends/family)

Universal Studios, Universal City CA
One Day Adult Ticket pre-purchase - $109
Gold Annual Pass Adult - $309
(30 blockout dates, includes Parking)

Good inclusion on the ski hill. I was just in Jackson Hole and their Annual Pass is 2199... but don't worry 2049 if you want to skip the holiday!

I finally think some of the premium priced passes are becoming appropriately priced.

Sea World and Universal are a bit hilarious though. Clearly there exists a major discrepancy in popularity.

SuddenStorm

I agree. Although I’m personally not finding much value for my money anymore when you consider the crowds and a little bit of honestly about how much fun one is actually having on the average trip.

Went to the parks a few times between the 11-17 of December. The crowds were incredibly light. I'm hoping that as the prices increase, and the initial buzz for Galaxy's Edge dies down, they finally find a happy medium. I can dream, right?

mickEblu

Went to the parks a few times between the 11-17 of December. The crowds were incredibly light. I'm hoping that as the prices increase, and the initial buzz for Galaxy's Edge dies down, they finally find a happy medium. I can dream, right?

That one little sweet spot in December had been a great day to go the last couple years. It’s that weekend before Christmas where deluxes are blocked AND most kids are still in school/ taking midterms.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
For me I can afford it, but the value just isn't quite there (Premier Pass) and I don't plan on visiting the parks more to make up for the increased cost. I am going to stick to tickets and go 1-3 times a year. The breakeven point would require so much time that it would not be worth the effort.

Also, does anyone else think the SoCal Select days are going to be packed, especially after Star Wars Land opens? I can't believe that pass has remained so cheap.

My mind is blown away at the cost of the Premier Pass, yet Disney won't allow monthly payments for it. Oh well I guess.

They're beginning to price me out, which i'm indifferent about; the true insult is the IP implementation, IMHO. So i'm paying more to be advertised on Marvel / Frozen / Star Wars / Pixar, regardless of thematic integrity or creativity, all of which is NOT the reason why I love Disneyland. Because, you know, it's better than a non-descript coaster somewhere, that maybe is like India or somethin hur dur.

Can't help but feel Disney is taking notes from Electronic Arts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom