Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story

tk924

Because no “fans” have actually been involved in the making of those movies...except maybe Gareth Edwards.

That is the Hollywood money machine...attempting to guarantee money across demographics instead of relying on the quality of the movie to deliver the money.

Kennedy and Abrams are absolutely 1 and 1A on that indictment list.

Yes. This. Absolutely.

And now there's a rumor that Ep 9 could be a ROTJ rehash. Not surprising coming from "I copied A New Hope JJ Abrams".

Mmoore29

You know, the massive irony is that the sequel trilogy is, in a lot of respects, following what Gary Kurtz wanted Return of the Jedi to be. With Han dead, Leia basically thrust in a major position of leadership and picking up the pieces, and a solitary Luke, broken and lonely, and yet quite satisfied somehow, living alone like a spaghetti western hero. This is the darker, grittier, more "meaningful" ending that many fans (especially the Lucas bashers) say should have been done from the start to "elevate it to greatness.,' and wish was done.

Now you have that vision come to life and added onto by J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, and you reject it out of hand, saying "we didn't want this." What is it you actually want? Are you contrarian hypocrites who just love to switch sides purely to be argumentative? Are you deliberately lying about what was done? Or, as I think is more likely, is it simply that you never knew what you actually wanted in the first place, so that you cling to the original trilogy and the EU material as a life raft and refuse to budge, so that you don't have to deal with how the prequel trilogy and the Disney era took you into unfamiliar territory?

As for Boba, the film is not dead by a long shot. They'll come around to it in time. The anthology films are never going to stop, or the planned stories. They're just going to take more time to mature, like a fine wine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You know, the massive irony is that the sequel trilogy is, in a lot of respects, following what Gary Kurtz wanted Return of the Jedi to be. With Han dead, Leia basically thrust in a major position of leadership and picking up the pieces, and a solitary Luke, broken and lonely, and yet quite satisfied somehow, living alone like a spaghetti western hero. This is the darker, grittier, more "meaningful" ending that many fans (especially the Lucas bashers) say should have been done from the start to "elevate it to greatness.,' and wish was done.

Now you have that vision come to life and added onto by J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, and you reject it out of hand, saying "we didn't want this." What is it you actually want? Are you contrarian hypocrites who just love to switch sides purely to be argumentative? Are you deliberately lying about what was done? Or, as I think is more likely, is it simply that you never knew what you actually wanted in the first place, so that you cling to the original trilogy and the EU material as a life raft and refuse to budge, so that you don't have to deal with how the prequel trilogy and the Disney era took you into unfamiliar territory?

As for Boba, the film is not dead by a long shot. They'll come around to it in time. The anthology films are never going to stop, or the planned stories. They're just going to take more time to mature, like a fine wine.

Excellent post...

But i gotta say...giving Abrams - or even Kasdan - one ounce of comparison to Kurtz right now is a really hard sell. Kurtz is really right there as the most important person in Star Wars history...along with kershner.

It’s real close.

I don’t want to rant...so I will just understate how mismanaged the whole situation is...it’s “not bad” 😉

Mmoore29

Personally, I feel Kurtz's role wasn't as big as many have posited. Many have just taken comments from the interviews he gave and inflated his role in their minds, while additionally bludgeoning Lucas. This isn't to take away from what Kurtz did, of course, but to call him "the white knight that got away" and "the real architect of the original trilogy" who "saved Lucas from himself" is absurd.

After all, there is no indication that Lucas, or now the current version of Lucasfilm, is just filled with obsequious yes-people who just suck up and either refuse or are too scared to speak blunt truth to "steer the train back onto the tracks." All the evidence has shown that in the prequel and current eras, everyone fervently believed and are happy to go along with it, and add their own elements as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Personally, I feel Kurtz's role wasn't as big as many have posited. Many have just taken comments from the interviews he gave and inflated his role in their minds, while additionally bludgeoning Lucas. This isn't to take away from what Kurtz did, of course, but to call him "the white knight that got away" and "the real architect of the original trilogy" who "saved Lucas from himself" is absurd.

After all, there is no indication that Lucas, or now the current version of Lucasfilm, is just filled with obsequious yes-people who just suck up and either refuse or are too scared to speak blunt truth to "steer the train back onto the tracks." All the evidence has shown that in the prequel and current eras, everyone fervently believed and are happy to go along with it, and add their own elements as well.

My view on Kurtz wasn’t that it was his creation or that he was robbed....some blame Lucas in that vein.

But as Lucas proved in the prequels - he was an awful dictator...and A lot of the reason why the OT actually worked and stands up was because he staffed out the direction and the production in many aspects as ceo.

The “feel” of Star Wars - in many aspects - is not due to Lucas in my opinion. It’s been lacking since.

erasure fan1

As for Boba, the film is not dead by a long shot. They'll come around to it in time. The anthology films are never going to stop, or the planned stories.
Of course nothing is ever really dead in this world of using established IPs. But if this movie gets made anytime before 10+ years, it won't be a Boba Fett movie. It will be tied into a different movie. I just don't see them making another movie most of the fans don't really want. All I can say, is it will be very interesting to see what Disney announces for their star wars road map. It has to be coming soon because if they plan on a 2020 movie it will need to go in front of cameras soon.

Maeryk

I wanted it done without Mary sues and pandering to protest groups. I wanted grand ninjas and Nazis in space, not the same crap I'm being yelled at about by talking heads on TV nightly.

They had so much potential, and squandered it on needless insert characters that checked a quota box for modern outrage.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wanted it done without Mary sues and pandering to protest groups. I wanted grand ninjas and Nazis in space, not the same crap I'm being yelled at about by talking heads on TV nightly.

They had so much potential, and squandered it on needless insert characters that checked a quota box for modern outrage.

I kinda agree...

Anyone remember the traveling Star Wars memorabilia exhibit in the 90’s? “The magic of myth”

I saw it in the air and space museum....

Anyway...I think the title was correct...there was magic in the myth. So the one thing that both Lucas and Kennedy have done since is try to “recenter” the fundamental myth...even if it didn’t meet current trends or standards, that’s where they went wrong.

All the people making billions have spent 20 years HATING the original trilogy on some huge level:

They don’t believe it...and to borrow yoda’s line: “that...is why you fail”

(Ironically the best line in all of sci-fi/fantasy...it’s never been duplicated nor bested)

Maeryk

I kinda agree...

Anyone remember the traveling Star Wars memorabilia exhibit in the 90’s? “The magic of myth”

Anyway...I think the title was correct...there was magic in the myth. So the one thing that both Lucas and Kennedy have done since is try to “recenter” the fundamental myth...even if it didn’t meet current trends or standards, that’s where they went wrong.

All the people making billions have spent 20 years HATING the original trilogy on some huge level:

(Ironically the best line in all of sci-fi/fantasy...it’s never been duplicated nor bested)

"You move like pregnant yak" comes kinda close, as said by Master Chiun.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When I need uplifting about Star Wars...I watch “empire of myth”

When I need reality to smack me in the face like a dead fish...I watch “the people vs George Lucas”

Tonight it’s hope and dreams 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With the Mandalorians in Favreau's hands for TV I feel much better about it than anything Kennedy would have ham handed through the movies, even if she had bad steadycam JJ at the helm.

It's like they are determined to **** off their core audience.

They just aren’t satisfied with the audience...they’re trying to build the standard unattached, transient audience that goes to watch fast and the furious or transformers and forgets the movie the second the credits roll.

Not trusting a dedicated audience to provide enough money to the blood bank...the opposite of mcu and the Harry Potter series.

tk924

I kinda agree...

Yes, I saw Magic of the Myth too. Incredible displays. Really impressive. More recently I've also enjoyed Star Wars in Concert. Lot's of fun.

Maybe this is where I am today. Just a guy getting older who will continue enjoy the first six Star Wars movies (plus Rogue One). Unless something comes along that keeps true to the character(s) and leaves out the SJW crap. Maybe SW is starting to leave people like myself behind. I know It's sad to think like that but it really is hard to replicate lightening in a bottle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, I saw Magic of the Myth too. Incredible displays. Really impressive. More recently I've also enjoyed Star Wars in Concert. Lot's of fun.

Maybe this is where I am today. Just a guy getting older who will continue enjoy the first six Star Wars movies (plus Rogue One). Unless something comes along that keeps true to the character(s) and leaves out the SJW crap. Maybe SW is starting to leave people like myself behind. I know It's sad to think like that but it really is hard to replicate lightening in a bottle.

Oh I agree...a lot of it is you and me...

I just don’t get why it was done purposefully? As proven by marvel - you can still have a mass audience that will attach to a well developed character over several movies...and disney has not done that in anyway with stars

After 5 hours of pendantic story arc...we know nothing about the new checklist characters Abrams hatched. It’s all disjointed nonsense. The agenda wasn’t to make worthy successor to the original 3 Movies that had about a billion fans world wide. Only R1 even tried to get the feel right...and that was spotty at best.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You are misreading the disgruntlement pretty much as much as humanly possible.

It’s not that “we don’t want this”...it’s that it has absolutely sucked.

There is no “vision”...the characters are flat...and the transition out of the old characters was as ham handed as they come. Force awakens was ultimatley pointless, but tolerable. The last Johnson left nothing of substance to use.

How in the hell did Kennedy watch the dailies and allow that to be cut and released? It’s an absolute joke: it’s a “franchise”...not an indie slasher movie...you don’t redefine everything for no real reason. Not even reboots will do that...but Abrams kinda did.

The force will ultimatley be the thing that torpedoed the story line. Messed with something that wasn’t broken. It was the one consistent thing. You don’t have random people all of a sudden doing gravity defying CGI things. At least George never did that.

And you don’t have the bad guys doing schtick.

This isn’t hard.

Mmoore29

Star Wars is doing just fine, thank you. They are not "chasing the Michael Bay method," they care very much about the narrative and how it builds together. Those of you who are complaining, saying "Star Wars is ruined" and "SJW libtards are suck the joy of everything" can't see it because you don't want to see it. You want to stay in the bubble that you built, over-lionizing Kurtz, attacking Lucas, McCallum, Kennedy, Abrams and Johnson with arguments you likely don't realize are intellectual dishonesty and special pleading, and you don't want to be open to the fact that the vision you built up over the '80s, playing with the toys and reading the EU material, of what you pictured Star Wars to be, simply doesn't match reality. Instead of looking honestly at yourselves and admitting that you could be wrong, you say "no, it IS like this, the reason it's not reflect as such is because THEY ruined it!"

If Star Wars does get to a place of failure, it's because of you continually griping, and your toxic symbiotic relationship with a lazy press, always looking for narratives to sell even when they don't reflect reality. "Star Wars falls apart and has big problems" sells big copy, and they're damn sure going to build it. If failure comes, it's because you built it into a self-fulfilling prophecy, much like those tabloid vultures that constantly state the next big celebrity marriage will break up all throughout its duration, up until it finally does happen years down the line.

Maeryk

Star Wars is doing just fine, thank you. They are not "chasing the Michael Bay method," they care very much about the narrative and how it builds together. Those of you who are complaining, saying "Star Wars is ruined" and "SJW libtards are suck the joy of everything" can't see it because you don't want to see it. You want to stay in the bubble that you built, over-lionizing Kurtz, attacking Lucas, McCallum, Kennedy, Abrams and Johnson with arguments you likely don't realize are intellectual dishonesty and special pleading, and you don't want to be open to the fact that the vision you built up over the '80s, playing with the toys and reading the EU material, of what you pictured Star Wars to be, simply doesn't match reality. Instead of looking honestly at yourselves and admitting that you could be wrong, you say "no, it IS like this, the reason it's not reflect as such is because THEY ruined it!"

If Star Wars does get to a place of failure, it's because of you continually griping, and your toxic symbiotic relationship with a lazy press, always looking for narratives to sell even when they don't reflect reality. "Star Wars falls apart and has big problems" sells big copy, and they're damn sure going to build it. If failure comes, it's because you built it into a self-fulfilling prophecy, much like those tabloid vultures that constantly state the next big celebrity marriage will break up all throughout its duration, up until it finally does happen years down the line.

Orrrrr.... the new movies suck. Even harder than the prequels sucked. Heck, when Vader became Lukes father, you could tell Lucas had lost control of the train he was driving and conveniently wrote himself out of a corner. That was the first time. Now it's just expected and "fans" rabidly defend deux ex machina characters that enable lazy scriptwriting and bad storytelling, and blame it instead on people who actually expect a decent story, rather than "wow, it looks better than it used to" when plunking down hard earned money to see a film.

If star wars gets to a place of failure, it's because they continue to churn out drek focused more on licensing and swag, than filmmaking and story telling. If you love the new stuff, hey, good for you! Nobody is knocking you. We are saying the films are.. less than exceptional.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You must be the son/daughter of a prequel Fan...

They’re chasing the “none of this makes any sense...” method

THIS IS THE MOST INCORRECT STATEMENT EVER

Last edited:

Mmoore29

The OT are the first films I saw. I remember the special editions when they came out in 1997. Everyone was cheering and had a great time. The same held true when I saw the prequels, and it continued in the current era. The general public, by and large, has accepted these films with open arms and see the greatness within that transcends every flaw. Flaws that were inherent even in the original trilogy, when your precious Kurtz was running the show. In fact, many tasks were delegated during the prequel era, and there was Carrie Fisher's uncredited script doctoring. The stories, the characters and the cast of those films are great. The only improvement those films needed were Kasdan polishing the dialogue to be as close to perfect as possible.

The "George Lucas raped our childhood" narrative was not the one that was prevalent at the time. It came later, through gaslighting and whiny, butthurt fanboys who cling to an outdated image as holy scripture and any deviation as heresy, and a compliant, lazy press willing to lap it up for big ratings. When Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson made their statements that are claimed to be "distancing themselves from the fans", what they were actually saying was that the series wasn't dependent on and shouldn't cater to toxic gatekeepers, the ones who are so wrapped up in the OT and EU as the only word, determining who is and who isn't a real fan, who are susceptible to being swayed by the even worse and more malicious trolls who threaten to kill anyone involved in the films and throw childish temper tantrums over YouTube. If you cater only to these people, the films have no chance of real success. You have to get as wide an audience as possible and be willing to adapt to the times without losing sight of what made Star Wars what it is. This, Disney has done very admirably, but if they ever cave to these mouthbreathers and act like their picture is the truth, doing the same harmful "course corrections" the DCEU has done, then the picture they paint will ironically become true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom