Bob Iger Video Interview

jmuboy

He is not a perfect CEO and I don't agree with every decision - but Iger does seem to get it. And he seems sincere....and I feel like he really does *care* about the Brand and isn't just about making money.

......and Steve Jobs is the modern day Walt in my opinion.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
He is not a perfect CEO and I don't agree with every decision - but Iger does seem to get it. And he seems sincere....and I feel like he really does *care* about the Brand and isn't just about making money.

Agreed about this part

Computer Magic

......and Steve Jobs is the modern day Walt in my opinion.
I have thought the same thing over the last 10 years. The way Iger described Steve is the same I've read about Walt. The attention to detail, perfectioness, and challanges his employees to produce the best.

darthspielberg

The Modern Day Walt isn't Steve Jobs, but he works for Steve, as well as for Bob!

John Lassater is now head of Disney Animation, Pixar, consults on live action films, consults on Theme Park stuff.

He wears all of the Caps that Walt used to wear except CEO. (And Walt was never in charge of Pixar.)

Steve Jobs is pretty great though. I have to say I enjoyed this intereview. I like Iger personally way more than I ever did Eisner. I wonder if we'll ever see Iger introduce stuff on television like Walt and Eisner did.

jt04

I have thought the same thing over the last 10 years. The way Iger described Steve is the same I've read about Walt. The attention to detail, perfectioness, and challanges his employees to produce the best.

The Modern Day Walt isn't Steve Jobs, but he works for Steve, as well as for Bob!

John Lassater is now head of Disney Animation, Pixar, consults on live action films, consults on Theme Park stuff.

He wears all of the Caps that Walt used to wear except CEO. (And Walt was never in charge of Pixar.)

Steve Jobs is pretty great though. I have to say I enjoyed this intereview. I like Iger personally way more than I ever did Eisner. I wonder if we'll ever see Iger introduce stuff on television like Walt and Eisner did.

I have to disagree with you both. Jobs is a genius at pushing technology. Lasseter is a genius at creating content. Walt was a genius at both.

The closest thing we have to a Walt in this day and age is George Lucas. Now I know some people would disagree on the content part but when he is on he is on.

So while he is not Walt's equal on the creative side, he is far superior when it comes to innovation.

Both Lasseter and Jobs are superior to Walt in their specialties, but Walt and Lucas are the true visionaries.

In my opinion of course. :)

Computer Magic

I have to disagree with you both. Jobs is a genius at pushing technology. Lasseter is a genius at creating content. Walt was a genius at both.

The closest thing we have to a Walt in this day and age is George Lucas. Now I know some people would disagree on the content part but when he is on he is on.

So while he is not Walt's equal on the creative side, he is far superior when it comes to innovation.

Both Lasseter and Jobs are superior to Walt in their specialties, but Walt and Lucas are the true visionaries.

In my opinion of course. :)
I see Steve as a visionary. As for Lucas he didn't see what Steve Jobs did with Pixar. Remember Pixar was one third of the Computer Division of Lucasfilm which Steve bought. That is not to say Lucas isn't a visionary, he brought something new no one else thought. Just think of he world without all three of them. One thing for sure they each have the same drive for perfection.

Steve has done today what Walt did during his generation that is change the world. There is no doubt Lasseter is on top of that list as well.

of course that my opinion as is up for debate.

jt04

I see Steve as a visionary. As for Lucas he didn't see what Steve Jobs did with Pixar. Remember Pixar was one third of the Computer Division of Lucasfilm which Steve bought. That is not to say Lucas isn't a visionary, he brought something new no one else thought. Just think of he world without all three of them. One thing for sure they each have the same drive for perfection.

Steve has done today what Walt did during his generation that is change the world. There is no doubt Lasseter is on top of that list as well.

of course that my opinion as is up for debate.

I am not saying Jobs is not a visionary but not in the sense of a Walt Disney or George Lucas. Jobs is much more singularly focused and he has done great a bringing a vision to reality. I think we have all hoped for what he has accomplished when computers became available to the masses. Millions had the vision for what he has done but he gets the credit for making it happen. No doubt about that.

A little opinion I have about George Lucas though. And it is an opinion. I think he pushes innovation so hard because he too had a idea. And that was namely to create technologies so that people like John Lasseter could create as he does. I think he fully inteneded to develop new tech so creative people could run with it. He revolutionized the film industry and he meant to. Similar to the way Jobs has revolutionized personal communications.

Lucas had his hands full with Star Wars and all of its' spinoffs. Lucas has the complete freedom to work on what he wants when he wants. He got Pixar off the ground. He knew where it could lead and he allowed others to run with it. That is just the way it happened. He could have kept it within his company but he deliberately made the choice not to. He does not get the credit he deserves for his vision but I think he is fine with that. He is a very generous person.

The only name I might add right up there with Disney and Lucas is James Cameron. But again he would not be where he is without Disney and Lucas.

Computer Magic

I am not saying Jobs is not a visionary but not in the sense of a Walt Disney or George Lucas. Jobs is much more singularly focused and he has done great a bringing a vision to reality. I think we have all hoped for what he has accomplished when computers became available to the masses. Millions had the vision for what he has done but he gets the credit for making it happen. No doubt about that.

A little opinion I have about George Lucas though. And it is an opinion. I think he pushes innovation so hard because he too had a idea. And that was namely to create technologies so that people like John Lasseter could create as he does. I think he fully inteneded to develop new tech so creative people could run with it. He revolutionized the film industry and he meant to. Similar to the way Jobs has revolutionized personal communications.

Lucas had his hands full with Star Wars and all of its' spinoffs. Lucas has the complete freedom to work on what he wants when he wants. He got Pixar off the ground. He knew where it could lead and he allowed others to run with it. That is just the way it happened. He could have kept it within his company but he deliberately made the choice not to. He does not get the credit he deserves for his vision but I think he is fine with that. He is a very generous person.

The only name I might add right up there with Disney and Lucas is James Cameron. But again he would not be where he is without Disney and Lucas.
Good points. Think of what Lucas had to do before computer animated graphics. He was ahead of his time and in many ways had to wait for technology to catch up to his ideas. Which I think Pixar brought to the table in 1995. Interesting how all three (Steve, Lucas and John) are closely tied together in the beginning..

jt04

Good points. Think of what Lucas had to do before computer animated graphics. He was ahead of his time and in many ways had to wait for technology to catch up to his ideas. Which I think Pixar brought to the table in 1995. Interesting how all three (Steve, Lucas and John) are closely tied together in the beginning..

Yes, more than coincidence. This is why I think Lucas is the driving force. Also, Lucas did not wait for the technology. He invented most of it. Gotta go....

Computer Magic

Yes, more than coincidence. This is why I think Lucas is the driving force. Also, Lucas did not wait for the technology. He invented most of it. Gotta go....
But I don't think Lucas knew what to do with the technology or why did he sell Pixar in 1986? Maybe you are correct, he didn't have time. However, I think he didn't realize a computer game technology could be used to devleop movies.

My point was Lucas went back and redid the orginial Star Wars because he was ahead of his time. The technology was not where it needed to be and had to actually develop puppets where CAG now does for half the time and cost.

My post doesn't mean to downplay Lucas, except for Howard the Duck (LMAO), he is the man. I grew up with Star Wars and the technology it brought. .

Iakona

But I don't think Lucas knew what to do with the technology or why did he sell Pixar in 1986? Maybe you are correct, he didn't have time. However, I think he didn't realize a computer game technology could be used to devleop movies.

My point was Lucas went back and redid the orginial Star Wars because he was ahead of his time. The technology was not where it needed to be and had to actually develop puppets where CAG now does for half the time and cost.

My post doesn't mean to downplay Lucas, except for Howard the Duck (LMAO), he is the man. I grew up with Star Wars and the technology it brought. .

If I remember correctly Lucas needed cash. He was going through a divorce and wanted to finance his own movies. Pixar and growing it was not part his plan.
http://www.applematters.com/article/how_to_turn_10_million_into_7_billion_a_brief_history_of_pixar/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom