News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
The latest "news" and rumors about Iger/Chapek are getting out of control. I'll wait for an official statement from Disney.

rowrbazzle

I meant that his position hasn't changed from Executive Chairman. No insider info here.

Ah, okay. I guess it then comes down to what would be expected in that position. Is Iger is doing more and Chapek less than what was originally intended?

Josh Hendy

This really is nuts. So Chapek is done as CEO then? Is Iger extending his contract?
Lol, relax. There is no story here except, "Everything is as muddled and confused in Disney management as it was before, except possibly a bit more so."

To make a homely analogy:

The guy who was nominally put in charge of the Emergency Task Force is still a joke that no one listens to, and the guy who can't stop talking is still grabbing all the headlines.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
What are the chances Chapek is really their long term guy now? This is a bad look and Chapek's credibility is lost.

I see this as they "thought" they had their guy and saw Chapek's lack of leadership over the lat month or so and said, "uh oh."

Iger cleans up the mess and I think Disney names a new CEO.

Bad theory?

peter11435

What are the chances Chapek is really their long term guy now? This is a bad look and Chapek's credibility is lost.

I see this as they "thought" they had their guy and saw Chapek's lack of leadership over the lat month or so and said, "uh oh."

Bad theory?
I don’t think they “thought” Chapek was ever really their guy long term.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I disagree. Again, from the Times..."Mr. Iger has effectively returned to running the company. After a few weeks of letting Mr. Chapek take charge, Mr. Iger smoothly reasserted control...The new, nominal chief executive is referred to, almost kindergarten style, as “Bob C,” ... Iger is now intensely focused on remaking a company..."

I don't see anything in the headline that's not consistent with the Times. Iger is running the company again (aka, the responsibilities of the CEO).

But if you're still unsure of what they meant, they followed up

Again, neither site says Chapek is out as CEO. I agree with you about what the Times article implies. I can't speak to the bolded part; I guess you have additional information that refutes what the Times is saying. I'm just going by what I read there.

I think that photo was edited... secret sources say THIS is the real photo...
Help.jpg

TrojanUSC

Bad theory?

The article spelling out how they call Chapek "Bob C" internally, "like a kindergartner," says a lot about how I think the internal culture sees him.

lazyboy97o

The article spelling out how they call Chapek "Bob C" internally, "like a kindergartner," says a lot about how I think the internal culture sees him.
This is one thing that stuck out as odd to me. It would make sense for the "new" Bob to be referred to something besides just Bob. Just think of Walt Disney Imagineering where they have to answer to Bob, Bob and Bob and may even want to consult Bob or hire Bob's production company.

TrojanUSC

This is one thing that stuck out as odd to me. It would make sense for the "new" Bob to be referred to something besides just Bob. Just think of Walt Disney Imagineering where they have to answer to Bob, Bob and Bob and may even want to consult Bob or hire Bob's production company.

It just seemed like the reporter was trying to say that people internally don't take him that seriously or have that much respect.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It just seemed like the reporter was trying to say that people internally don't take him that seriously or have that much respect.

Yes, that feeds into the clickbaitiness of the article.

Saying that the Bobs are referred to as "Bob" and "Bob C" is reporting. Saying that's a sign of disrespect to Chapek is an opinion unless the author got a bunch of lower tier executives on the record saying they don't respect Chapek.

One can spin that calling Iger "Bob" instead of "Mr. Iger" is a sign of disrespect. But then you'd have to say everyone disrespected Walt Disney by calling him "Walt."

Moving away from last names in addressing co-workers (especially bosses) creates issues with the most common first names. Using last initials to distinguish between two or more people with the same first name is rather common. Don't know what sort of sheltered life that this author led to not know that.

Jdn0018

Yes, that feeds into the clickbaitiness of the article.

Saying that the Bobs are referred to as "Bob" and "Bob C" is reporting. Saying that's a sign of disrespect to Chapek is an opinion unless the author got a bunch of lower tier executives on the record saying they don't respect Chapek.

One can spin that calling Iger "Bob" instead of "Mr. Iger" is a sign of disrespect. But then you'd have to say everyone disrespected Walt Disney by calling him "Walt."

Moving away from last names in addressing co-workers (especially bosses) creates issues with the most common first names. Using last initials to distinguish between two or more people with the same first name is rather common. Don't know what sort of sheltered life that this author led to not know that.

Ok, fine... MisterP. 😁

HauntedMansionFLA

I read he is back but not as CEO but will guide the company through this process.... So basically as Chairman he will be doing more then just a figure head. Which is the way a lot of big companies actually run with the Chairman having more power then the CEO
Iger takes credit for the good things. Anything bad (cancelled projects / terminations) - Chapek’s fault

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom