News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

mikejs78

Premium Member
Iger is still sticking around for a while. Just not as CEO.
That is neither realistic nor possible in a public company.

Corporate bylaws must be observed in a public company. The new CEO cannot report to the former CEO who just invented a new title not defined.

That works in the Russian “parliament”...not in Burbank or on Wall St

...now here we go...I bet it won’t be JJ Abrams. 🤪
A current CEO reporting to someone technically below him??

Has this ever happened before?
A CEO reporting to someone. Any incoming CEO would not agree to this except Chapek.
Old CEO says, "the new CEO reports to me" is a weird look.

Wasn't the question asked yet in any official media availabilities such as conference call or interview, "And exactly why now?"
The CEO reports to the board. In this case will report directly to Executive Chairman, who has also been assigned creative oversight of the company. Pretty much Iger stripped all of his day-day duties but one, creative oversight, and handed the day-to-day operations to Chapek.
Publicly traded?

I can see the angle for Iger...but it also commits him to Disney for the long term and he has never given any hint that was a desire for him.

I think it’s more likely this is actually PR and Iger leaves this new “role” on year early as is the pattern...so 12.31.20

It's not an uncommon thing for a CEO to step down and remain on as executive chairman for a time, with the new CEO reporting to him. It happened at Microsoft when Bill Gates stepped down and Steve Balmer took over. It also happened at Google when Eric Schmidt stepped down as CEO and Larry Paige took over... This makes sense. Chapek will be CEO, but Iger is there to reign things in if Chapek isn't up to the job.

GrizzlyAdams

Didn’t the Board shoot down the last successor named? Maybe Iger just pulled the trigger himself to not go through that hassle and focus on whatever he wants creatively now for the remainder of his time.

i love that Chapek wiki page btw.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not an uncommon thing for a CEO to step down and remain on as executive chairman for a time, with the new CEO reporting to him. It happened at Microsoft when Bill Gates stepped down and Steve Balmer took over. It also happened at Google when Eric Schmidt stepped down as CEO and Larry Paige took over... This makes sense. Chapek will be CEO, but Iger is there to reign things in if Chapek isn't up to the job.

Now this could make some sense...chapek would never be hired if he was brought in from the outside...so “probationary period” does make some sense...

The timing and sudden nature of this does not. But unless Iger has the DUMBEST lawyer in history...his parachute opened the minute he “stepped down”.

Based on the week of Wall Street...that is what makes sense. He would leave his contracted job and get the retirement package right now.

This could be exactly what Lucas was described to have attempted: get the money and retain the power.

As far as Wall Street..:this could be a canary in the coal mine. I would think the last thing Iger would want is to not get his package as the market goes down in any substantial way...it would probably force him to ride out the storm.

I don’t like bob too much...but this could be a very shrewd move

Last edited:

Darkprime

Some people are thinking that the reason theyre not giving Chapek keys to the creative side of the company is because there still not 100% in on Chapek. And it kinda makes sense. The fact theyre not giving Chapek the creative keys (i.e. the lifeblood of the company) until he proves to Iger/the Board he can oversee that effectively. Hypothetically if Chapek screws up hard prior to Dec 2021 they have a backup successor in Kevin Mayer.

Lilofan

Now this could make some sense...chapek would never be hired if he was brought in from the outside...so “probationary period” does make some sense...

The timing and sudden nature of this does not. But unless Iger has the DUMBEST lawyer in history...his parachute opened the minute he “stepped down”.

Based on the week of Wall Street...that is what makes sense. He would leave his contracted job and not get the retirement package right now.

This could be exactly what Lucas was described to have attempted: get the money and retain the power.

As far as Wall Street..:this could be a canary in the coal mine. I would think the last thing Iger would want is to not get his package as the market goes down in any substantial way...it would probably force him to ride out the storm.

I don’t like bob too much...but this could be a very shrewd move
Probationary CEO sounds like Chapek is not going to make Iger 's annual salary and bonus. But Chapek will do just fine increasing his personal net worth. I can see executives not wanting to work for Chapek leaving for personal reasons such as "spending more time with family or pursuing other interests".

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom