News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

RSoxNo1

Okay, so in bizarro news...

... one of my trustworthy contacts had this to say:

"Iger is looking at DNC and potential for a contested convention. In event of a contested convention Iger is interested in putting his name forward as he is vehemently opposed to Bernie Sanders. Iger also doesnt believe Bloomberg has a pathway to victory. In this scenario Iger could step in & become a moderate Democratic nominee without any of the mud that comes from primaries. Iger also believes Trump would have a difficult time hitting him hard as hes tied to Disney brand that Americans generally favor greatly. The chances of all this coming to fruition is low but moves that have occurred allow Iger to step in if the 2% scenario land. Simultaneous Iger clears himself of the stain of the company taking a hit if corona goes apocalyptic."

So... I'm taking this with a grain of salt, you should too, but that's what I'm hearing.
I could see him being named as a VP for someone looking to make a splash on Super Tuesday.

dizneycrazy09

I’m really struggling with this decision. What makes Chappie qualified to be CEO of the literal king of the world company? Our dislike of him because of his treatment of the parks aside, why is he a good choice? I can’t think of a good reason...

...unless, he’s an easy fall guy for the impending doom. No doubt the bubble is about to pop on the Disney balloon between the less than stellar movie slate in 2020, the corona, the meh of D+, ESPN, etc., etc. The timing and nature of this seems all very interesting to me.

And forget anything else being green lit park wise for at least a few years. Whatever hasn’t already been approved (or even if it has) will be facing major budget cuts or never seeing the light of day. I’m scared for what this means for EPCOT.

Brer Oswald

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Chapek is an Interm CEO. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think it’s possible.

Think about it. Why now? Their big blockbuster movie franchises have wrapped up. They have little left in the immediate future that’s going to make headlines. Their big park expansion that they were proud of is finished. They’ve closed two of their theme parks until further notice, and stocks will continue to drop as Corona becomes a Pandemic.

People have their sights on other IPs right now (the Mario’s and the Sonic’s and more). Disney is due for their “Bi-Decenial” Crash. I wouldn’t be surprised if having a fall guy is their strategy to get through it as quick as possible. And I wouldn’t be shocked if Chapek agreed to it due to some big payoff.

Again, speculation. I hope I’m wrong, Disney doesn’t crash again, and he ends up pleasantly surprising all of us. I really truly have nothing against him.

MagicWDI

So why not call Chapek COO instead of CEO?
I see this as a transition period. Chapek is the new CEO... but... I feel Iger or a few on the board may not be completely sold on Chapek's creative capabilities. This is a smart move. The shareholders like business centric CEOs. However, we've seen where that can lead to for a company like Disney. My prediction is we will be seeing a new President assigned to a more creative centric individual who can ebb and flow with Chapek, and possibly report to the board. Remember, Bob Iger was both CEO and President. We have not heard about the role of president as of yet...

Rider

I don't find the arraignment too odd. I work for a Fortune 500 that has a CEO that reports to the former CEO now Executive Chairman. And that has been the case for many years, not just during a transition like this one.

Mouse Trap

I’m really struggling with this decision. What makes Chappie qualified to be CEO of the literal king of the world company? Our dislike of him because of his treatment of the parks aside, why is he a good choice? I can’t think of a good reason...

...unless, he’s an easy fall guy for the impending doom. No doubt the bubble is about to pop on the Disney balloon between the less than stellar movie slate in 2020, the corona, the meh of D+, ESPN, etc., etc. The timing and nature of this seems all very interesting to me.

And forget anything else being green lit park wise for at least a few years. Whatever hasn’t already been approved (or even if it has) will be facing major budget cuts or never seeing the light of day. I’m scared for what this means for EPCOT.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't find the arraignment too odd. I work for a Fortune 500 that has a CEO that reports to the former CEO now Executive Chairman. And that has been the case for many years, not just during a transition like this one.

Publicly traded?

I can see the angle for Iger...but it also commits him to Disney for the long term and he has never given any hint that was a desire for him.

I think it’s more likely this is actually PR and Iger leaves this new “role” on year early as is the pattern...so 12.31.20

Rider

Publicly traded?

I can see the angle for Iger...but it also commits him to Disney for the long term and he has never given any hint that was a desire for him.

I think it’s more likely this is actually PR and Iger leaves this new “role” on year early as is the pattern...so 12.31.20

Yes publicly traded.

Figments Friend

Well this has been a interesting day....

A bit of a unexpected surprise, to say the least.

I very rarely visit 'Twitter' but stopped in tonight to see what's happening via the 'top trending' topics as of this moment.

Nice to see 'Spaceship Earth' getting some love!

image.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom