News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
The Bobs always win...
B5A27ABE-466B-4B22-9E56-A8C9ED41BD5C.jpeg

IanDLBZF

This is weirdly good for Parks. I think everyone is seriously overlooking that. A CEO that came from Parks, and knows their profitability will give resources to Parks. A person that is really intense about quarter over quarter gains, and was bad operationally, is going to have less of an impact from higher up the corporate ladder. Plus, this gives the opportunity for someone with actual parks opportunity to fill into DPEP. As for who fills that role, Colglaizer and Potrock come to mind as people that seem to be in a good position to fill the role.
This isn't just parks, but Consumer Products too.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What the hell. I step out for 30 minutes to pick up my son and a friend from school and this happens? What's going to happen when I go out to dinner tonight??? Talk about rising to the level of your incompetence. Chapek just became the poster boy for that saying...

This is not a move that happens suddenly and/or for no reason. My guess - something with Iger's health. And they still didn't have a solid succession plan in place, so Chapek got the call.

Is Matt Ouimet doing anything these days? I thought he was on the board for Cedar Fair, so maybe he has some time to be head of PEP. He wanted the job before...

RSoxNo1

This is weirdly good for Parks. I think everyone is seriously overlooking that. A CEO that came from Parks, and knows their profitability will give resources to Parks. A person that is really intense about quarter over quarter gains, and was bad operationally, is going to have less of an impact from higher up the corporate ladder. Plus, this gives the opportunity for someone with actual parks opportunity to fill into DPEP. As for who fills that role, Colglaizer and Potrock come to mind as people that seem to be in a good position to fill the role.
Loki: I do have a bit of experience in that arena.
Thanos: Well, if you consider failure experience.
Loki: I consider "experience" experience.

Monorail_Orange

For everyone jumping on the whole deal with Target...it's like you've all forgotten that about 5 years earlier TWDC announced a similar deal with JC Penney - those Disney shops within JCP are still going strong. The Target thing is really not a big deal...most of that product was already in the Target stores spread around the various departments, all Target is doing is creating a designated space for only Disney product. It's not a bad idea, nor harmful to the company.

Rosso11

I agree I’m being somewhat optimistic for now. Most people’s main complaint of him has to do with him cutting a lot of immersive elements from Galaxy Edge. From people I’ve talked to in the company directly and insiders on here Disney now realizes that was a mistake and are now working on reversing that decision. If he is a half way decent leader he will learn from that mistake and look to not make it again. I might be way too optimistic here but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He’s been overseeing a long overdue massive influx of investment and rides into the parks. I know everyone doesn’t agree with all of his choices but I’m just really glad they are finally making the investments.

RSoxNo1

Something I found interesting was Iger's admiration or appreciation for Chapek. I think it was in Iger's book where he name-checked Chapek specifically about his handling of the death of the boy by the alligator at the Grand Floridian. I remember reading that and thinking I'll bet Iger wants him as the next CEO. Chapek was also featured a fair amount in the later episodes of the Imagineering story. Maybe Chapek will have a change of heart and not be as bad as we think he'll be. I'm not counting on it but I am willing to give him some benefit of the doubt.
In Iger's book, Kevin Mayer gets mentioned a ton, Chapek barely at all.

WDW Pro

I would say this is "not good". I've reached out to any and all contacts I have with insight on this, but only one response... apparently there's more to the story, so just stick around and enjoy the popcorn. Iger is a genius CEO, even if you disagree with some of his stances. Chapek is... yikes.

Just to let you know, there IS a political component to this.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
This is weirdly good for Parks. I think everyone is seriously overlooking that.
Chapek was the face to what corporate considered a successful division because of a good economy. Chapek didn't do anything positive he just realized what could be exploited from the parks to make the money flow from guests pockets. His role at SWGE wasn't to build it up, but cut it back saying it was good enough. IP integration, continual price hikes, uncharge events, all mechanisms to increase guest spending without actually doing anything for the parks. Every bit of expansion done around his time line was done in response to what the competition was doing, and when he got involved it usually wound up screwing it up and cutting back from what was originally visioned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom