News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Smiley/OCD

Seriously though, if things are so bad why do the guests keep going? Why do they keep acting against their own best interests? You want to be mad at the board for not listening to the guests, but everytime they go to the parks, they are literally telling the board it is still worth the money.

Either the guests don't care about the problems, or they are finding value in the park experience that the community can't fathom.
The problem with that is that the average Disney guest has been there once maybe 2 or 3 times many years apart…they’re not looking with the same detail oriented eyes that we have…plus the fact that their eyes are SO stuck in their phones that they’re not looking at everything surrounding them.

UNCgolf

Either the guests don't care about the problems, or they are finding value in the park experience that the community can't fathom.

Disney is also propped up by being the American family thing to do. Everyone is supposed to take their kids to Disney World (not that everyone actually does, obviously). But that's built upon decades of goodwill -- and a healthy IP library, of course -- that is potentially in danger with the changes they've made in the past few years. We know that guest satisfaction has declined significantly, and it's entirely possible that if things continue on the current course, Disney will lose that status.

The problem is that it could take 10-15 years or more for that to happen, which means it still won't be a problem for Chapek or the current board. I'm also not sure if it ever will, mainly because of the general cultural cachet and that IP library, but it's not completely out of the question even if it's somewhat unlikely.

UNCgolf

So everyone wants to go this route but no one can explain why he was fired and if it was such a travesty, why did the board extend Chapek today? When someone wants to give a legit answer instead of deflecting, I’ll be listening….

I don't understand how they're connected, at least in the way you're insinuating.

Indications are that Chapek fired Rice because he thought he was a potential threat either as a replacement for him or for his personal choice as successor. The board viewed Chapek as the best option right now, but that doesn't mean they will still considered him the best option a year from now. It can be as simple as removing a potential competitor down the road.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is also propped up by being the American family thing to do. Everyone is supposed to take their kids to Disney World (not that everyone actually does, obviously). But that's built upon decades of goodwill -- and a healthy IP library, of course -- that is potentially in danger with the changes they've made in the past few years. We know that guest satisfaction has declined significantly, and it's entirely possible that if things continue on the current course, Disney will lose that status.

The problem is that it could take 10-15 years or more for that to happen, which means it still won't be a problem for Chapek or the current board. I'm also not sure if it ever will, mainly because of the general cultural cachet and that IP library, but it's not completely out of the question even if it's somewhat unlikely.
This is exactly it…they’re “draining the reservoir”…not “building new rivers”

People should never forget that if Disney takes a nosedive, NONE of the management would be around/care. That’s a thing Iger let expire.

Obi Wan’s
Failure is complete

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't understand how they're connected, at least in the way you're insinuating.

Indications are that Chapek fired Rice because he thought he was a potential threat either as a replacement for him or for his personal choice as successor. The board viewed Chapek as the best option right now, but that doesn't mean they would have still considered him the best option a year from now. It can be as simple as removing a potential competitor down the road.
Bingo…you made the simple seem so simple

Smiley/OCD

Everyone on here that owns even 1 share of stock shouldn’t go to D23, make a trip to the annual stockholders meeting where they HAVE to take questions from the stockholders…let’s ruin their meeting, get plenty of bad press and relive some of our frustrations
Welcome Chapek at the meeting the same way Roger Goodell is welcomed at the NFL draft or any other public appearance with a plethora of boos…will it solve anything? Probably not, but it’ll feel REAL good!

UNCgolf

By the way, the fact that he was given a 3 year extension doesn't really mean anything beyond believing he's the best option at this exact moment.

They could still show him the door in two months if they wanted. I'm not suggesting that's going to happen, nor do I think it will, but it's not like this means he is guaranteed to be CEO for another 3 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
By the way, the fact that he was given a 3 year extension doesn't really mean anything beyond believing he's the best option at this exact moment.

They could still show him the door in two months if they wanted. I'm not suggesting that's going to happen, nor do I think it will, but it's not like this means he is guaranteed to be CEO for another 3 years.
Absolutely. It’s a tactic at best…not a guarantee

Smiley/OCD

OK, so why was Peter Rice fired? I’d love to hear your opinion. And I’m not busting your b*lls or trying to argue, if there’s something I don’t know I’d like to be filled in. We all want what’s best for this company…
I’ll give my two cents…I think it’s pretty obvious that Chapek saw him as a threat to himself plain and simple…as a CEO, and a subpar CEO at that, you would want to get rid of any internal threat…

ElvisMickey

I’ll give my two cents…I think it’s pretty obvious that Chapek saw him as a threat to himself plain and simple…as a CEO, and a subpar CEO at that, you would want to get rid of any internal threat…
I really don’t buy that at all. If you’re on the board, are you going to extend a CEO who supposedly acted like a child for 3 more years if it wasn’t in the best interest of your company? They most definitely had to be OK with this firing for one reason or another...

Sir_Cliff

They literally did today. That’s my point. My understanding is that Chapek is personally a Republican and is tired of the far left *** kissing that this company’s been doing for years now.

The fact is that the success of Top Gun Maverick has changed everything. People are tired of woke B.S. being thrown in their faces everyday. Netflix has taken a stand against their far left employees. Paramount is now doing the same. Things are starting to turn, and not in the way the far left hopes for. And before you jump down my throat, these are just my observations. Don’t assume I’m attending a clan meeting tonight...
I think it's the other way around: The Board only agreed to extend his contract on the condition that he provides more queer Chapek content.

Get ready! 🧑‍🦲💋

el_super

The problem is that it could take 10-15 years or more for that to happen, which means it still won't be a problem for Chapek or the current board.

Yeah but again... If there were signs that something wasn't working, Disney would still have the opportunity to change. They are reactionary. Things won't stay the same for 10-15 years.

Smiley/OCD

I really don’t buy that at all. If you’re on the board, are you going to extend a CEO who supposedly acted like a child for 3 more years if it wasn’t in the best interest of your company? They most definitely had to be OK with this firing for one reason or another...
You don’t have to buy it or believe it, but that’s what happened…any CEO, politician, military general, etc. wants to get any treat out of the picture as soon as possible. He may come across as a genius, but throughout history, the figures thought of as geniuses in their particular area of expertise all suffered from self doubts and inferiority complexes…and because of that personality flaw, they eliminate the most pressing threats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom