News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

IanDLBZF

Chapek had been the chairman of parks and resorts since 2015, as such he’s responsible for everything that’s happening with the parks right now. Iger was certainly involved at the approval level but as Chairman Chapek was very likely the guy dreaming up all the “wonderful” changes we are experiencing now.
Add to this, he's been with Disney since 1993, in their Home Entertainment department and was partially responsible for the Disney Vault. Now that made folks mad.

ElvisMickey

Chapek had been the chairman of parks and resorts since 2015, as such he’s responsible for everything that’s happening with the parks right now. Iger was certainly involved at the approval level but as Chairman Chapek was very likely the guy dreaming up all the “wonderful” changes we are experiencing now.
On a side note, I understand that Iger was fantastic for the company’s stock price, etc. But there’s been no creativity in this company since Eisner was at the helm. Iger bought PIXAR, Star Wars and Marvel…congrats on that. And outside of those acquisitions, all they did was release remake after remake. At least Eisner was creative and took original chances...

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

It was a team effort.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
On a side note, I understand that Iger was fantastic for the company’s stock price, etc. But there’s been no creativity in this company since Eisner was at the helm. Iger bought PIXAR, Star Wars and Marvel…congrats on that. And outside of those acquisitions, all they did was release remake after remake. At least Eisner was creative and took original chances...
Iger was creative! “More trees”. See? Pure creative genius right there.

Indy_UK

Being creative helps but I don’t think Iger needed to be Creative. He is a very clever businessman who has set up Disney for the next 100 years and I think we owe him a lot for that.

He could easily put more creative people in place for the parks but instead just decided to be cheap for Parks and Resorts

EPCOT-O.G.

Reversing that position would be embarrassing for the board, people familiar with the company said. Plus, there’s no obvious internal candidate for the job, a significant factor for Disney, which tends to promote from within.
This is why Iger stayed on so long, and why he never cultivated a true successor. Also why Rice was suddenly fired. Walden better keep looking over her shoulder.

EPCOT-O.G.

Then Iger didn’t set things up for success. Chapek has not been some radical departure. He’s doing a lot of the same but without the reality distortion field that has people fawning over him.
Iger played the game better publicly because he cultivated relationships in the media (Oprah, etc) and had a ruthless political operative as his communications guru.

JoeCamel

Iger played the game better publicly because he cultivated relationships in the media (Oprah, etc) and had a ruthless political operative as his communications guru.
Iger was smarter to put those people around him, slappy not so much. How long did it take for Bob to get Zenia?

Last edited:

Lilofan

Zenia did her PR role well. Defend and protect the brand and keep the dirty laundry from getting leaked to the public for the most part, except John Skipper former ESPN President whose cocaine dealer threatened to expose him. Iger then met with Skipper and forced him to resign.

Indy_UK

Then Iger didn’t set things up for success. Chapek has not been some radical departure. He’s doing a lot of the same but without the reality distortion field that has people fawning over him.

Iger rushed through the Fox deal before he went to make himself look even better. Whether it was worth the $70 odd billion I’m not sure but bringing in Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm was genius for the future of the company.

I also felt that if anything really bad was going to become public like the John Skipper debacle, Iger would stand up and deal with it himself. If Iger was still around I doubt there would have been the lawsuit from Scarlett Johansson or Di Santis, the disastrous move to Lake Nova and just the obvious mistakes being made.

Would the parks been any better, nope

EPCOT-O.G.

Zenia did her PR role well. Defend and protect the brand and keep the dirty laundry from getting leaked to the public for the most part, except John Skipper former ESPN President whose cocaine dealer threatened to expose him. Iger then met with Skipper and forced him to resign.
Oh my comment was not a knock on her abilities. To the contrary, I think she was crucial in helping him navigate this role. Chapek needs a Zenia Mucha, or a wartime consigliere.

GimpYancIent

Iger rushed through the Fox deal before he went to make himself look even better. Whether it was worth the $70 odd billion I’m not sure but bringing in Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm was genius for the future of the company.

I also felt that if anything really bad was going to become public like the John Skipper debacle, Iger would stand up and deal with it himself. If Iger was still around I doubt there would have been the lawsuit from Scarlett Johansson or Di Santis, the disastrous move to Lake Nova and just the obvious mistakes being made.

Would the parks been any better, nope
Meh. Bob #1 = a good businessperson that grew the organization BIGGER through acquisitions, a deal closer, that said not creative but keeping an eye on the bottom line. Bob #2 welllll = a greedy bean counter, terrible at public relations, not creative and actually irritating.

yensidtlaw1969

Something occurred to me today. Iger’s early success (and one of his proudest achievements) was the Pixar acquisition. If you look at Chapek’s moves, it seems he’s diminished (either intentionally or by poor management) the Pixar brand. I think Lasseter’s loss and some brain drain is to blame to a degree, but for a company/entity that at one point could do no wrong, it seems they’ve lost their way terribly. It’s basically another imprint now within the company. I wonder how the BOD (and Iger on the sidelines) will view the diminishment of this brand.
Worth keeping in mind - every Pixar film released in recent years, including the just-released Lightyear, began development and production under Iger's watch. Pixar's significant decline started only a few short years after the aquisition, really only once they started releasing projects Iger had a hand in. If anyone is responsible, it's the man who bought it.

I don't really say that in defense of Chapek, but it should be remembered that their 4 projects released under his tenture were pretty far along by the time he showed up. We haven't really seen his touch on their movies yet.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Worth keeping in mind - every Pixar film released in recent years, including the just-released Lightyear, began development and production under Iger's watch. Pixar's significant decline started only a few short years after the aquisition, really only once they started releasing projects Iger had a hand in. If anyone is responsible, it's the man who bought it.

I don't really say that in defense of Chapek, but it should be remembered that their 4 projects released under his tenture were pretty far along by the time he showed up. We haven't really seen his touch on their movies yet.

$lappie's touch:

collapse silo GIF

looney tunes GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom