News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
BlogMickey was quoting some other linked source.

I don't approve of linking to articles that get their information for some other source... link to the darned original source!

But, it's not BlogMickey saying that, but "Business Insider."

You may now proceed to do an ad hominem on that source. ;)

Anyhoo, the articles coming out on this are all over the place. Which one was written by one of the BoDs?
That’s better…and I’m not discounting the possibility.

I don’t click on “blog Mickey” no matter what. Your mouse will give you a contact high.

I just hope the details on contracts are as crystal clear and straight from the podium as the ones about lucasfilm 😉👍🏻

GoneViral

Some wanted Chapek out because of the tiff with DeSantis. Turns out that's not going to happen.
In fact, Rice likely overplayed his hand here. He's Rupert Murdoch's chosen one due to Rice's father, Tom Rice, helping Murdoch break unions during the Wapping Dispute in the 80s.

If literally anyone could have gotten conservatives off Disney's back, it would have been Rice. He likely said as much to certain board members, who recognized an attempt by Murdoch to get some control at Disney. It's not coincidental that Iger wouldn't let James Murdoch come in the deal.

Lilofan

In fact, Rice likely overplayed his hand here. He's Rupert Murdoch's chosen one due to Rice's father, Tom Rice, helping Murdoch break unions during the Wapping Dispute in the 80s.

If literally anyone could have gotten conservatives off Disney's back, it would have been Rice. He likely said as much to certain board members, who recognized an attempt by Murdoch to get some control at Disney. It's not coincidental that Iger wouldn't let James Murdoch come in the deal.
My way or the highway as some bosses say. Rice ended up on the highway.

Phicinfan

Hilarious that anyone thinking the board’s statement of support of Chappie today means anything tomorrow.

Just standard damage control.
Susan Arnold released that for two reason. One to try and appease Wall Street, and the 2nd was a clear warning to Chapek and all the leadership team that they are on short time and get if fixed. Susan Arnold is a former P&G exec and was in line to be CEO but refused it, that was classic P&G speak to warn those in charge.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Susan Arnold released that for two reason. One to try and appease Wall Street, and the 2nd was a clear warning to Chapek and all the leadership team that they are on short time and get if fixed. Susan Arnold is a former P&G exec and was in line to be CEO but refused it, that was classic P&G speak to warn those in charge.
I fully agree with you.

…now ima go watch the pigs fly past my window 🤪

pdude81

I would guess that they will give him a contract long enough to complete the changes they want him to make. I suspect 2-3 years?

I think Chapek will be safe for 3 years as long has he executes whatever plans they have him doing "properly". I also think he needs to do it "cleanly" with no more PR misteps on his part.

I can only guess that he will have to execute and deliver on some ugly decisions that will be harshly criticized by the fans and the media but if he does it gracefully from a CEO point of view, he will make it 3-ish years and jump off the ship with a great paraschute.

I dunno....just get the popcorn, sit back and watch the show. Only time will tell.
I feel like he's already done most of the "reset", at least in terms of parks and talent relations. To me that statement just means that he's done the job he's been asked to do, and they don't plan on sacking Chapek for sticking to the gameplan.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like he's already done most of the "reset", at least in terms of parks and talent relations. To me that statement just means that he's done the job he's been asked to do, and they don't plan on sacking Chapek for sticking to the gameplan.
Wouldn’t that be the perfect reason to sack him? Hire someone more likeable into the “structure” you want?

pdude81

Wouldn’t that be the perfect reason to sack him? Hire someone more likeable into the “structure” you want?
I don't take Bob the latter as the type who would go away quietly if his contract wasn't renewed. Now if they extend it, that has the future potential for him to suddenly replaced and paid of to be nice. IMO renewing his contract is all but guaranteed, and at this point logical.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't take Bob the latter as the type who would go away quietly if his contract wasn't renewed. Now if they extend it, that has the future potential for him to suddenly replaced and paid of to be nice. IMO renewing his contract is all but guaranteed, and at this point logical.
That is counter to history. You let one of these guys get “their board” appointed and they get free reign.

Which is NOT what a public company/board should allow.

pdude81

That is counter to history. You let one of these guys get “their board” appointed and they get free reign.

Which is NOT what a public company/board should allow.
I agree, for the most part, but this is still Iger's board, isn't it? There's only been one or two new people added since they started playing musical chairs in early 2020.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The only statement I want to read:

"For the past 7 years, I have spent a tremendous amount of time and energy devoting myself to creating a wonderful experience for our Disney consumers throughout the world shareholder value. Together, we have milked consumers like never before leveraged the unique storytelling capabilities of the entire Disney company to build a world-class entertainment empire that is beloved by billions around the world generate incredible profits. I've now decided to take some time to recharge and devote more time to my family while I determine the next sucker to bilk out of millions as a cheap crap peddler and hatchetman phase of my career." - Bob Chapek, former CEO of TWDC.

mightynine

Dana Walden said:
Finally, I’d like to express my immense appreciation to Bob Chapek for giving me this opportunity of a lifetime. Through quarterly content presentations, where our talented leaders have shared each brand’s priorities, he has become well connected to the dazzling work being done by each team. Bob is enormously proud of what we do, and as The Walt Disney Company enters its second century, I look forward to joining forces with all of you to help deliver on his priorities: storytelling excellence, innovation, and a relentless focus on our audience.
Translation: "That Bobby C. sure knows how to attend meetings!" ;)

MarvelCharacterNerd

He wants to be in the room where hears that it happens.
1655168425626.png

Mr. Bob, sir.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom