News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

seascape

Bob Chapek has never had a chance to actually run the company. He was appointed right after Covid19 started in China and ever since had been dealing with that. However, he has made things worse by his handling if the Sudios and now the D23 issue. Therefore even if it is unfare he must go. Coming to this view is not easy for me bacause I believe he should have had a chance to run the company before letting him go but his backing out of D23 is the last staw. He should have agreed to go and tell the fans why he did what he did and what he is going to do now and in the future. He could have acted like a true leader and not a coward so he has to go. He should just resign and enjoy his retirement. Please, Bob, do the right think.

CaptinEO

“We are so excited to leverage Disney’s powerful brand, develop new stories and share even more magical experiences with our guests,” said D’Amaro.

If D'Amaro can't question mandates from above, then nobody can and that bodes very poorly for the future of the company. IMO, the only indispensable person in the company right now is Kevin Feige, but 10 years ago if I was asked that question I would have said John Lasseter.
I mean John was indiapensable if he wasn't a piece of garbage HR nightmare/frat boy. I'm sure Disney tried to "keep him" as long as they could, once the information was public they had to cut ties.

Just look at Activision for another example of how companies knowingly keep people with sexual harassment issues until they get bad PR for it.

the.dreamfinder

I mean John was indiapensable if he wasn't a piece of garbage HR nightmare/frat boy. I'm sure Disney tried to "keep him" as long as they could, once the information was public they had to cut ties.

Just look at Activision for another example of how companies knowingly keep people with sexual harassment issues until they get bad PR for it.
There are people who still collect paychecks who are way worse than John.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If D'Amaro can't question mandates from above, then nobody can and that bodes very poorly for the future of the company. IMO, the only indispensable person in the company right now is Kevin Feige, but 10 years ago if I was asked that question I would have said John Lasseter.
Jon Favreau might be the most important creative at Disney right now and he doesn't even work for Disney.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Why they haven't handed him Star Wars like Feige was handed Marvel is beyond me.
With Alan Horn retiring, I half expected them to continue the two-headed monster approach and bring in Favreau to tag team the whole content factory with Alan Bergman. Favreau is plugged into Star Wars, Marvel and Disney live action, I wouldn't want to limit him to just SW.

pdude81

Bob Chapek has never had a chance to actually run the company. He was appointed right after Covid19 started in China and ever since had been dealing with that. However, he has made things worse by his handling if the Sudios and now the D23 issue. Therefore even if it is unfare he must go. Coming to this view is not easy for me bacause I believe he should have had a chance to run the company before letting him go but his backing out of D23 is the last staw. He should have agreed to go and tell the fans why he did what he did and what he is going to do now and in the future. He could have acted like a true leader and not a coward so he has to go. He should just resign and enjoy his retirement. Please, Bob, do the right think.
He became CEO in February of 2020 which is after they had already closed SHDL and HKDL, but just before they shuttered both parks in Japan. We already also had cases and I believe deaths in the USA by then.

Now Covid absolutely was a huge issue and not a huge thing in the US when he became CEO, but the board already knew what was coming and chose Chapek to lead at that time. He also had a good idea of what he was getting himself into.

As for sacking the guy.... his PR acumen is not why they chose him, and I think the SJ thing was even overblown. He handled it poorly, but notice that nobody else got out of line after that dust up. He said he would pay her fairly and it seems that he did.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He handled it poorly, but notice that nobody else got out of line after that dust up.
Indeed, other stars who were rumored next in line to sue Disney over 'day and date' such as Emily Blunt and Emma Stone suddenly were on board with announcements of sequels of those projects. The Rock got a producer's gig out of it.

They were properly compensated/mollified and there was no line of stars suing Disney.

But, the public response was unconscionable. Hope someone was internally rebuked for it.

seascape

He became CEO in February of 2020 which is after they had already closed SHDL and HKDL, but just before they shuttered both parks in Japan. We already also had cases and I believe deaths in the USA by then.

Now Covid absolutely was a huge issue and not a huge thing in the US when he became CEO, but the board already knew what was coming and chose Chapek to lead at that time. He also had a good idea of what he was getting himself into.

As for sacking the guy.... his PR acumen is not why they chose him, and I think the SJ thing was even overblown. He handled it poorly, but notice that nobody else got out of line after that dust up. He said he would pay her fairly and it seems that he did.
I know they didn't hire him for his PR skills. However PR is an important part of his job and if he is driving paying guests away, and he is, he has to go. I don't like this but just looking at all the Disney Fan websites it is clear he is hurting the company. This may not be fare or right but it is a fact.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Chapek pulling out of D23 communicates the wrong message to everyone - the fans, the media, and investors. D23 is a signature event that requires executive visibility. As a CEO - especially as CEO of one of the world's largest integrated entertainment companies, he has a job that goes beyond the C-suite office. He's the face of the organization. Whether he likes it or not, Eisner set the tone by making the position so front-facing, and Iger doubled down on that. Chapek can't just walk away from it because he's worried about some jeers from the audience. That will happen. He's making decisions that have ed off a large swath of the fan base. His job is to lead - that means taking the heat when it comes. If he can't do that, he doesn't deserve the job.

Lilofan

Chapek pulling out of D23 communicates the wrong message to everyone - the fans, the media, and investors. D23 is a signature event that requires executive visibility. As a CEO - especially as CEO of one of the world's largest integrated entertainment companies, he has a job that goes beyond the C-suite office. He's the face of the organization. Whether he likes it or not, Eisner set the tone by making the position so front-facing, and Iger doubled down on that. Chapek can't just walk away from it because he's worried about some jeers from the audience. That will happen. He's making decisions that have ****ed off a large swath of the fan base. His job is to lead - that means taking the heat when it comes. If he can't do that, he doesn't deserve the job.
In reports , Chapek has a prior engagement in LA on Fri night , which is the same night the main guest speaker starts off the D23 convention. Josh in his place will do just fine.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Chapek pulling out of D23 communicates the wrong message to everyone - the fans, the media, and investors. D23 is a signature event that requires executive visibility. As a CEO - especially as CEO of one of the world's largest integrated entertainment companies, he has a job that goes beyond the C-suite office. He's the face of the organization. Whether he likes it or not, Eisner set the tone by making the position so front-facing, and Iger doubled down on that. Chapek can't just walk away from it because he's worried about some jeers from the audience. That will happen. He's making decisions that have ****ed off a large swath of the fan base. His job is to lead - that means taking the heat when it comes. If he can't do that, he doesn't deserve the job.
This event is not "D23".

When people say "D23," they mean the D23 Expo.

This is Destination D. They're not the same event, nor are they expected to be the same scope and scale.

Squishy

Odd considering Chapek's statement sounded like he was busy at the company, not having dinner with good ole Iger at his mansion 🤨

"Unfortunately, this year given the new job and given the tugs I get from several different areas it’s impossible for me to make it but I will be there in spirit."

John park hopper

"Unfortunately, this year given the new job and given the tugs I get from several different areas it’s impossible for me to make it but I will be there in spirit "---- thinking of more ways to nickel and dime you fans in order to keep my stockholders happy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom