News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

hopemax

Who I miss?
1633543491602.png

FantasiaMickey2000

Haha in all honesty, if Eisner wasn’t a complete jerk I wonder how much longer he would have lasted. I think he would have accomplished just about as much as Iger creatively. His feud with Steve Jobs sunk Disney’s no-brainer partnership with Pixar. His feud with Katzenberg led to the creation of one of Disney’s few animation rivals in Dreamworks. If you imagine a world where Disney and Pixar are still together and Dreamworks doesn’t exist then I find it probable that Eisner is never ousted.

Iger’s most famous and successful moves as CEO are acquiring Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Fox. Without those fractured relationships, I think Disney would have acquired Pixar anyway as it was always a match made in heaven. Disney already had a relationship with Lucasfilm under Eisner so I see no reason as to why George Lucas wouldn’t have sold to Disney under Eisner too. Fox going up for sale was a two company race between Disney and Comcast and without Dreamworks I definitely don’t see Comcast coming out on top in that timeline either.

I guess I’ve always thought Disney would be just as successful today if Eisner was CEO the past 15 years instead of Iger if he has just not been such a egotistical jerk. Goes to show you can be your own worst enemy.

Kamikaze

The following part of the article demonstrates the lack of veracity of "insider information" of corporate intrigue as different camps spin a story for their desired ends...

Though no outsiders were present, chatter about Iger’s talk soon began to seep through Hollywood. His words were interpreted as a shot at Chapek. Though a 28-year Disney veteran who most recently had overseen the theme parks and resorts, Chapek was an outsider in Hollywood. Known for cutting costs and raising prices, he was regarded by many with distrust if not outright hostility. So the version of the board retreat that made the rounds had Iger showing up Chapek, who was said to have followed Iger’s remarks by declaring in blunt terms that, in fact, Disney was now a data-driven company. It sent a chill through Hollywood.
Sources who attended the meeting say Chapek did not make such a bald declaration. They say he was merely being himself: a numbers-oriented, bottom-line-focused businessman lacking creative experience and without Iger’s polish and flair. Nonetheless, the retreat anecdote dovetailed with a narrative that was already taking hold among Iger confidants: that he had lost faith in Chapek and that his speech before the board was “a final warning” that Disney was veering off course. And the idea of the wrong man at the helm of Disney stokes a lot of anxiety in an industry that has seen Fox and MGM swallowed up, WarnerMedia battered by AT&T and Paramount transforming into a shadow of itself.​

So... which version is correct? Very few people will retell this story recounting both sides of the story. They will tell the side that feeds their anger in the hopes of making one or both look bad, even though we don't know the true story.

Keep that in mind whenever anyone reads a 'Spirited' tale of corporate intrigue. Or remnants of a whispering campaign longing to create a effigy to burn of a film studio head who ruined their childhood's favorite franchise.

Kudos to the writer of this article who presented both sides.
Its one version its just different connotations based on different people hearing it.

One person thought Chapek was blunt and the other didn't take the statement as being that 'in your face'.

comics101

My reading of the article makes me feel bad for Chapek. It reads to me like Iger never wanted him to take over and expected to be begged out of his retirement. When he wasn’t, he couldn’t let go of the company and still wanted to dominate. Chapek is in a position where no one respects him because it appears Iger doesn’t think he can lead the company and is actively undermining him with his continued heavy involvement. That leads to him having to make over reactive choices in order to try and make it clear who is in charge now. Just my two cents.

I mean, to be fair, Chapek probably shouldn't be leading the company. He might be a fine businessman, but nothing in his background leads me to believe he's suited for the CEO job of an entertainment company. With that said, I too sense that he's being undermined and feel for him.

mgf

My reading of the article makes me feel bad for Chapek. It reads to me like Iger never wanted him to take over and expected to be begged out of his retirement. When he wasn’t, he couldn’t let go of the company and still wanted to dominate. Chapek is in a position where no one respects him because it appears Iger doesn’t think he can lead the company and is actively undermining him with his continued heavy involvement. That leads to him having to make over reactive choices in order to try and make it clear who is in charge now. Just my two cents.

But it was so obvious this was coming. Chapek could/should/would have anticipated this outcome and planned accordingly.

ETA: I posted this in March....

1633545153522.png

CaptainAmerica

Iger is literally still his boss. Big Bob has three direct reports... His chief of staff, his assistant, and Chapek. I'm not sure I accept the premise that it's even possible to be "undermined" by your boss.

FantasiaMickey2000

But it was so obvious this was coming. Chapek could/should/would have anticipated this outcome and planned accordingly.

ETA: I posted this in March....

View attachment 591547
I think Chapek probably did have a plan. That plan just went out the window when immediately after his promotion they had Disney World closed for several months, Disneyland and cruising closed for an entire year, and movie theaters effectively shuttered for a year plus as well.

FantasiaMickey2000

Iger is literally still his boss. Big Bob has three direct reports... His chief of staff, his assistant, and Chapek. I'm not sure I accept the premise that it's even possible to be "undermined" by your boss.
That’s not how being chairman of the board works. Bob Iger is no longer Bob Chapek’s boss. Or do you think Bob Iger’s boss for his first seven years was George Mitchell and then John Pepper? While the CEO’s ultimately hired and fired by the board, the CEO is the top dog of the company. Iger being head of the board doesn’t change that. If Iger wants Chapek out and the rest of the board doesn’t, then Chapek stays.

CaptainAmerica

That’s not how being chairman of the board works. Bob Iger is no longer Bob Chapek’s boss. Or do you think Bob Iger’s boss for his first seven years was George Mitchell and then John Pepper? While the CEO’s ultimately hired and fired by the board, the CEO is the top dog of the company. Iger being head of the board doesn’t change that. If Iger wants Chapek out and the rest of the board doesn’t, then Chapek stays.
To my knowledge, "Executive Chairman" has never been a title used by The Walt Disney Company.

Iger is absolutely not just the chairman of the BOD.

FantasiaMickey2000

To my knowledge, "Executive Chairman" has never been a title used by The Walt Disney Company.

Iger is absolutely not just the chairman of the BOD.
Point taken. Either way, even if Iger was Chapek’s boss he could still undermine him. If Iger is above Chapek, no one else is. So that means everyone else at the company has to respect Chapek and actively work toward achieving the goals and directives that he lays out. Iger delegated authority to Chapek and should allow Chapek to use it.

An owner doesn’t hire a football coach to run a spread offense and then come out and say, “We can’t win football games running a spread offense.” Thats actively undermining your coach even though the owner is his boss. Hiring a data driven CEO and then telling all his subordinates at a conference “We can’t be a data driven company.” is a 100% undermining shot at Chapek’s authority and basically asking for everyone at the company to lose faith in him and his directives.

brb1006

pdude81

I think Chapek probably did have a plan. That plan just went out the window when immediately after his promotion they had Disney World closed for several months, Disneyland and cruising closed for an entire year, and movie theaters effectively shuttered for a year plus as well.
Chapek was announced as CEO suddenly in February after SDL was already closed due to Covid-19 in January. We were pretending here it wouldn't be a thing, but the Bobs were well aware. It seemed like an opportunity play at the time with no downside to Iger

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So did Chapek. Literally history repeating itself.
Ahhh…but Iger sucked up to Roy and played the middle against the ends of the field

chapek is there…with ZERO qualifications to be a media conglomerate CEO…because Iger made zero effort to find anyone better. Which was all well and fine until he got scared during the early plague and resigned like a coward.

the only reason he’s still snooping around is Because the economy didn’t melt down. His legacy looks bad because he left a rube behind and there’s still money to be made. You’d hear nothing from spray tan Bob if we were in a 2010 or 2002 style recession. Egg on his face due to egghead.

I’m doing that “super honest” thing today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom