News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

UNCgolf

Like.... ?

The CEO actually has someone to answer to beyond just shareholders in general. They always have to answer to the board, but when the CEO is also the chair of the board, that becomes less of a concern; it's a lot easier to terminate a CEO when that CEO isn't also the chair. There are other multiple other issues as well, mostly related to independence for things like corporate compensation and auditing.

Companies have been separating the two more frequently in recent years.

Last edited:

MrPromey

It's pretty simple really...

Walt/Roy O. ✅
Eisner/Wells ✅
vs.
Eisner/Eisner ❌
Iger/Iger ❌❌
Iger/Chapek(but also Iger) ❌❌❌
Chapek/Chapek 💀💀💀💀
I wish I could "like" this with both the "haha" and the "sad" but since I can't, the best I can do is give a thumb's up and add a redundent post to this thread. :confused:

Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen a more pithy (and spot on) use of emojis!

Dragonman

@realBobChapek
11D2A3FF-3837-4C2F-8F72-5DB66F05C05D.jpeg

the.dreamfinder

The real question becomes does Chapek get a babysitter like Iger did with George Mitchell or does he become chairman?

There’s real value in keeping those roles separate IMO...
I’m curious as to how long Chapek is CEO. The pandemic certainly has lengthened his tenure, but he’ll always be seen as a transitional CEO.

But what exactly are we transitioning too? I don’t know!

EPCOT-O.G.

I’m curious as to how long Chapek is CEO. The pandemic certainly has lengthened his tenure, but he’ll always be seen as a transitional CEO.

But what exactly are we transitioning too? I don’t know!
Tech/streaming company. Expect to see less emphasis on Parks/commercial products and more on being a Netflix type behemoth

the.dreamfinder

Tech/streaming company. Expect to see less emphasis on Parks/commercial products and more on being a Netflix type behemoth
Except Streaming is intended to replace/grow the shrinking Media Networks segment of the business. The parks have bankrolled that pivot, but largely at the cost of the quality of that product and consumer goodwill, as prices have increased well beyond their market value.

EPCOT-O.G.

Why do people here dislike Iger? He’s done amazing things for the company. He cleaned up the big messes Eisner left
General view is there are some who complain about everything and everyone. Others don’t like the price increases and perceived gouging, but then forget the board and CEO have a duty to maximize profits. Still others feel there’s been a desire to infuse more IP or, specifically, IP developed and/or acquired during Iger’s tenure, to the exclusion of more historical Disney creations. There’s also a view that during much of the later years he made certain decisions as CEO to advance his own political profile to the detriment of the company.

the.dreamfinder

Why do people here dislike Iger? He’s done amazing things for the company. He cleaned up the big messes Eisner left
1615383777518.jpeg

The guy who kept all of Eisner’s senior lieutenants from the strategic planning committee that made a whole litany of train wreck decisions (cooking guest spending projections that led to over building EuroDisney’s room stock, acquiring ABC, running Imagineering and feature animation into the ground, direct to video crap, building multiple half assed gates in Anaheim, Paris, Hong Kong, and over interference in day to day operations)?

The guy who was Eisner’s COO for the five years leading up to the end of Eisner’s tenure?

The guy who considered shuttering Walt Disney Animation after they acquired Pixar?

The guy who put the kibbosh on hand drawn animation at WDAS because one film underperformed as the studio was rebuilding public goodwill and was against “Avatar” at the box office?

The guy who wanted, and seriously tried, selling the parks division wholesale?

The guy who singlehandedly hamstringed the Star Wars sequel trilogy by pushing for a completely unrealistic May 2015 release date in fall 2012?

The guy who has mandated that all additions to the parks, with few exceptions, be connected to existing franchises?

The guy who has jacked up ticket, room and food prices at the parks while thousands of CMs live on poverty wages?

The guy who oversaw a massive brain drain and outsourcing at Imagineering as the design quality took a nosedive and savings from said cuts never materialized?

The guy that though it was a good idea to spend $60-70 billion in share buybacks to artificially inflate the value of the company?

The guy who could have, and seriously considered, buying Netflix back in ‘12-‘14 instead of buying BAMTech and Fox assets at ridiculous valuations (oh and we’re still on the hook for Comcast’s share of Hulu by FY ‘24)?

These aren’t fanboy nitpicks. They are a future business school case study into why Disney “lost its luster”. Iger didn’t seriously repair the core damage of the Eisner years, he bought a bunch of stuff with the ESPN and Parks cash at the expense of the future of the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom