News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Lilofan

I don’t think his attire sets any sort of bad example. Disney’s corporate culture is so cold that a little creativity in outfits would be a positive. In companies throughout the US, dress codes and expectations have consistently been relaxed over the years, for a reason.
Parks and Resorts guest facing roles is all about the Disney look. How would it look if Rohde was in charge looking like Cheech and Chong?

Jimmy Thick

Interesting...

Disney has long been one of the more stable assets If the whole market retreats...this is curious
I’m thinking it’s more for Chapek being named the successor.

Or...

The corona virus is much worse than we are being led to believe and it’s going to make both parks in China an albatross for cash and hurt profit.

No matter what people want to believe Iger is not a dumb man and I’m sure he surrounds himself with great analytical thinkers. He got out for a reason.

Hopefully he got out for something like this and not something sinister. I’m still in shock.

RSoxNo1

I do think it’s too soon for D’Amaro to become Parks and Resorts head. Had Iger stepped down when he was scheduled to and Chapek replace him then, I’d think D’Amaro would be a shoe in for P&R. Here’s hoping he sticks around and he is the next one to lead P&R, or even better, a contender for the next CEO. He has a quality that few have had after Walt passed, and you can see it in the stuff he posts.
They just promoted someone to CEO that wasn't qualified to be head of parks and resorts, what's the hold up with D'Amaro?

Lilofan

He’s more than qualified. But I don’t think the WDW president title wasn’t exactly a hand out. They need him in Florida specifically, at least for a bit.
Former WDW President Kalogridis had been with the company for more than 45 years. He is currently in a don't do much role until he retires. In comes Josh from DLR to replace Kalogridis.

KBLovedDisney

Epcot now Wallcot, prices going too high, virus widespread, then this happens...

tenor.gif

TrainsOfDisney

Parks and Resorts guest facing roles is all about the Disney look. How would it look if Rohde was in charge looking like Cheech and Chong?

Umm... literally if he took out his earring he would fit the Disney look. If you’re not following him on Instagram you’re really missing out.

Here’s a quote from his Instagram this week-
“If a person is only interested in the status and power of the role, they will reject debate, dissent, and contributions that undermine their supremacy. That means they are not actually interested in the purpose and direction… And therefore, they are not a director. If you are a designer, or any kind of creative person, you will want to work under an actual director. Under such conditions you will grow in experience and autonomy. Without this, you essentially become a kind of dehumanized robotic hand. You may be part of a great creative enterprise, but you are a neutral part of that enterprise, subsumed into the ego of another person. Try to avoid that. Any position of power attracts jerks. Try to avoid them too.” - Joe Rohde

tirian

Agree - especially in retrospect - about them being obvious...but still there's the thing: no one else did them. He drew Jobs back in to allow the Pixar sale and he was able to get Lucas to let go. The company allowed Marvel to blossom but didn't get in the way. My impression is that the Fox deal was a bad one but apparently it had benefits which aren't obvious to the lay public (or to me, for that matter).

As we know, the MDE experience was $$$ but there were a LOT if infrastructure costs involved that would have been needed irrespective of FP+. As a pediatrician in TX, my families really like/love FP+ to have their biggest rides booked. The fact that the parks are so crowded that there is a line for Small World is frustrating as someone who rememberers it as a walk-on, but that's the way things are for now. And talking about innovation - love it or hate it, FP+ is pretty innovative.

But you're right - he didn't change the world. But he did make big plays for the business with huge effect. That's - to me - as good as someone in his role could have done. Sure Journey into Imagination still sucks. And I don't like the concept art for the Egypt scene in Epcot.

Clearly WED was more like Steve Jobs, with his innovation; but my guess is that TWDC needs someone to settle in and get their house in order for now. Maybe Chapek can do that.

I suspect he’s been promoted because he doesn’t mind making hard decisions and sweeping cuts.

Lilofan

Josh Hendy

If a person read only this thread then read the following article you’d assume it was a different person:
Reads like a Hollywood press release but maybe that's all Variety does.

This looks like the money quote:

"Chapek’s work in consumer products also has given him ... a strong sense of the value of the Disney brand in a retail setting."

donsullivan

Premium Member
I still think it's darn awful (and oh so telling) that they merged the two...and Chapek will never undo that 😒

I was always of the impression they merged the two together to expand Chapek's 'span of control' as part of preparing him to take on the CEO role. He was already running products and then they added Parks and Experiences to his plate. While it would not happen right away, he could certainly choose to change that depending on the people they find to backfill the role(s). The issue now is that Wall Street is used to that organizational structure when comparing quarter over quarter earnings so they just can't do it on a whim. Changing a corporate structure at that level is done slowly and very deliberately. Wall Street likes easy year over year comparison and restructuring would need to be demonstrated to add value to the company to do that.

PrincessJulia1207

Umm... literally if he took out his earring he would fit the Disney look. If you’re not following him on Instagram you’re really missing out.

Here’s a quote from his Instagram this week-
“If a person is only interested in the status and power of the role, they will reject debate, dissent, and contributions that undermine their supremacy. That means they are not actually interested in the purpose and direction… And therefore, they are not a director. If you are a designer, or any kind of creative person, you will want to work under an actual director. Under such conditions you will grow in experience and autonomy. Without this, you essentially become a kind of dehumanized robotic hand. You may be part of a great creative enterprise, but you are a neutral part of that enterprise, subsumed into the ego of another person. Try to avoid that. Any position of power attracts jerks. Try to avoid them too.” - Joe Rohde
this reads like a subtweet—is he throwing shade?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom