News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

RSoxNo1

He's also the only reason Animal Kingdom exists, though.

There's no way that park would have ever been built with Iger and/or Chapek as CEO. Neither would Expedition Everest.
Everest is a tricky one though because there were several decisions that led to Everest. At the outset it was Dinosaurs vs Mythical Animals, then it was an IP tie in to Dinosaurs. Then it was Chester and Hester's vs. the Excavator and then ultimately Everest was added. A few alternate decisions and Everest doesn't happen regardless of who's in charge.

Brer Oswald

0F789830-D9DB-4C28-9463-F4B9325B5A37.jpeg

He’s got the master plan alright.

The Pho

Everest is a tricky one though because there were several decisions that led to Everest. At the outset it was Dinosaurs vs Mythical Animals, then it was an IP tie in to Dinosaurs. Then it was Chester and Hester's vs. the Excavator and then ultimately Everest was added. A few alternate decisions and Everest doesn't happen regardless of who's in charge.
That’s true for most projects that have happened. There’s always options on the table, and which one happens depends on how the situations flow. Even with Walt, he’d put focus into one particular project and others would go away, then they’d move onto the next. Most that pay attention here are probably well aware of how much Star Wars land changed from the initial concepts to the full land we got. It’s not unique to Everest at all.

TheRealBobIger

Eisner didn't think he could run the company, and since you admit Iger had a good tenure, Eisner was wrong. Honestly though I think Eisner was just a little miffed about losing the company he loved.

You realize only the board has the power to hire/fire the CEO... Right? Which is also why all this talk of it being sudden is silly... paperwork has to be filed with the SEC, the lawyers have to be involved, press and publicity, scheduled interviews arranged for investors and the networks and so on. This has probably been in the works for weeks.

And Bob is just a weatherman, and Eisner was just a producer and Walt just made cartoons.

The board has long wanted someone from the outside due to potential internal conflicts with this big Hollywood egos. This happened during Eisner's tenure, and almost sank him. Appointing Kevin Mayer or Kathleen Kennedy as CEO (or even suggesting Kennedy) would have riled the other factions within the studio hierarchy and potentially risked an exodus (which admittedly could still happen).

Keeping all your creatives happily creating means appointing a neutral element from outside the creative circle. I suspect thats why Iger has been pushing for parks guys to take the role since Rasulo amd Staggs switch places.

The desire for rapid expansion was and acquisition was something that Eisner wanted, and Iger just followed in his footsteps. Back when Iger was first promoted to COO, Disney was fighting off takeover bids from AOL and Comcast. Growing Disney was a way to stave off those acquisitions. The Disney flag is still the only one that has flown over the studio Walt built, and I'm pretty sure its the last of the big Hollywood studios to remain independent their entire life.

But that period of growth may be over, as they are quite large now. Still not so big as to be gobbled up by Apple or Google, but safe now from the bigger internet/media conglomerates like Netflix or Verizon.

So I think you're right in saying there will be less growth and more sustainment during Chapek's tenure, but that is not at all a bad thing.

Exactly.

Corona Virus will be the fall guy. People understand that this is an unusual circumstance.

Planning anything for your retirement? Amateur weather forecasting or perhaps some sweater enthusiast clubs?

Maybe I'll try substitute teaching... I still need some income!

TeddyinMO

I think the key questions for Chapek’s success all involve who goes where underneath him. Obviously Parks and Consumer Products is one spot, but both Horn and Kennedy are very close to retirement. Iger’s new job seems designed specifically to manage those transitions along with residual 20th Century migrations.

With Chapek’s lack of Hollywood background, the people who fill those positions will determine his success and possibly hint at the long-term plan. For example, if Kevin Mayer gets moved to parks and products, it’s clear he’s being groomed for something bigger down the road and just getting more experience (not a prediction, just an example).

Meyer, Feige, Pitaro and Alan B. are all people that could move up, around or leave following this (depending on contracts). If all of them stay in either their current or expanded roles, then this really was planned out well and sets Chapek up for success, and it puts any of them on a longterm path at Disney. If some of them leave, then I think Chapek is in real trouble.

Either way, it will be tough. As they say in sports, you don’t want to be the coach that follows the legend. You want to be the coach that follows the coach that follows the legend.

JoeCamel

Nah...

Complete A-hole move by DIsney... what is this, freaking authoritarian state where people are not allowed to have personal opinions anymore?

But it's simple rank and file stuff... nothing to rattle ABC as a whole.. let alone TWDC...
Maybe they expected their employee to have the ability to separate their personal views from the work that they do? Sounds like a suspension for being stupid not the actual opinion?

bartholomr4

I think the key questions for Chapek’s success all involve who goes where underneath him. Obviously Parks and Consumer Products is one spot, but both Horn and Kennedy are very close to retirement. Iger’s new job seems designed specifically to manage those transitions along with residual 20th Century migrations.

With Chapek’s lack of Hollywood background, the people who fill those positions will determine his success and possibly hint at the long-term plan. For example, if Kevin Mayer gets moved to parks and products, it’s clear he’s being groomed for something bigger down the road and just getting more experience (not a prediction, just an example).

Meyer, Feige, Pitaro and Alan B. are all people that could move up, around or leave following this (depending on contracts). If all of them stay in either their current or expanded roles, then this really was planned out well and sets Chapek up for success, and it puts any of them on a longterm path at Disney. If some of them leave, then I think Chapek is in real trouble.

Either way, it will be tough. As they say in sports, you don’t want to be the coach that follows the legend. You want to be the coach that follows the coach that follows the legend.

I agree.... Lets think forward 15 years (theoretically) when Chapek retires and names his replacement. What will be the transformational decisions he has made and successfully executed like Iger? Iger knew he was going to have to figure out how to acquire Pixar, and the relationship with Jobs was key... He pulled off Marvel, and Lucas and Fox..... I can see Chapek opening another park somewhere, but other than keeping the lights on and counting the beans as they come in, I don't see him as the big strategic thinker and risk taker.... Meyer would have been a different story, as he has been managing strategy for Iger for ever.....

Maybe Chapek can acquire the strategic thinker and or the people who will convince him to take risk.... Its just not going to come naturally, and the likelihood that he will run the company the way Universal is run by Comcast (follower maximizing yield) is high....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom