News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

kingdead

I'm amongst those who doesn't have an issue with all the recent efforts at inclusion as the world is an increasingly diverse place and it makes sense for entertainment to reflect this.

I will say, though, when I think about it from the perspective of a parent skimming through stories about Disney, I do wonder whether it is all seems heavy handed, if not a bit odd. First, there was the overblown coverage of the same sex kiss in Lightyear. Another poster put up an article a few days ago doing the rounds about an episode in a new Baymax cartoon for Disney+ showing a masculine-presenting trans kid buying tampons in the supermarket. Next year, we have the new WDFA feature Strange World featuring a gay male teenage character who has a crush on another guy. So, I can understand someone getting the impression that there is a real push within Disney to include queer storylines in their entertainment for kids and wondering whether it's better to just give them Minions to watch.

The reality, I think, is far more nuanced, particularly when you consider how a brief moment or background character amongst the mountain of entertainment Disney is producing sparks outsized media coverage. There is also a reasonable argument that you have to push through the initial controversy to ever get to a point where such things are no longer controversial. I think it is reasonable to say, though, that they are weighing up the possible business impact and social impact, and erring toward the latter on these issues.
To bring it back to "things Disney does as a company under Bob Chapek," I'm wondering if it's partially a publicity strategy--having a social media controversy every time a product comes out means that people know the product exists! There have definitely been instances where nothing controversial is going on in the show or movie by the standards of 99 percent of Americans but the publicity narratives are still about racism/sexism/etc. It's all about how you're a good person for watching Disney product, and not about the quality of the product itself. Maybe I'm just not seeing the right ads, though...

matt9112

How many attractions did MGM have - a whole park - on opening day? DAK? Expansion is always possible. They are adding a new table service restaurant already.

I do agree about the lack of shade, however.

Lack of shade is embarrassing and I'm pretty sure MGM had a 4 hour tour or something to take up some time. Shows can and should be considered attractions.

TsWade2

Sadly, I suspect there are a large number of creatives that WANT to use Disney a social justice and political megaphone. Disney and its brand is seen as a perfect "tool" for activist minded people to influence social change in the way they see fit.

I dont know how this will end but I suspect that a Disney insider civil war is about to start. It might be a battle between Disneys board and investors that want to move away from politics versus creative execs that have no intention of backing down and want to push deeper into politics.

If this is the case....who will win in the end?
I was afraid you might say that. This politic nonsense has to end, but it looks like they might be political forever.😢

mikejs78

Premium Member
Lack of shade is embarrassing and I'm pretty sure MGM had a 4 hour tour or something to take up some time. Shows can and should be considered attractions.

Half that, (2 hours), but sure. The original lineup for MGM was:

• The Great Movie ride
  • Backlot Studios Tour
  • Superstar Television
  • Monster Sound Show
  • The Magic of Disney Animation Tour

GimpYancIent

To bring it back to "things Disney does as a company under Bob Chapek," I'm wondering if it's partially a publicity strategy--having a social media controversy every time a product comes out means that people know the product exists! There have definitely been instances where nothing controversial is going on in the show or movie by the standards of 99 percent of Americans but the publicity narratives are still about racism/sexism/etc. It's all about how you're a good person for watching Disney product, and not about the quality of the product itself. Maybe I'm just not seeing the right ads, though...
The artificial creation of some kind of controversy to stimulate interest, curiosity etc., in a product concept has run its course. People are turned off by controversy and actually repulsed by it.

Incomudro

Sadly, I suspect there are a large number of creatives that WANT to use Disney a social justice and political megaphone. Disney and its brand is seen as a perfect "tool" for activist minded people to influence social change in the way they see fit.

I dont know how this will end but I suspect that a Disney insider civil war is about to start. It might be a battle between Disneys board and investors that want to move away from politics versus creative execs that have no intention of backing down and want to push deeper into politics.

If this is the case....who will win in the end?
Yes, and unfortunately many of those people are in key roles in Disney right now.
There are videos of them talking about their goals for more of what they are doing.
The only thing that can stop it is a cultural shift in consumers away from these offereings and a top down decree from those high up in the company putting a lid on it.

Lilofan

Yes, and unfortunately many of those people are in key roles in Disney right now.
There are videos of them talking about their goals for more of what they are doing.
The only thing that can stop it is a cultural shift in consumers away from these offereings and a top down decree from those high up in the company putting a lid on it.
TWDC has always developed relationships with elected officials so they get what they want, vice versa. If someone were to deviate from this plan, their career may be a short one.

Incomudro

I'm amongst those who doesn't have an issue with all the recent efforts at inclusion as the world is an increasingly diverse place and it makes sense for entertainment to reflect this.

I will say, though, when I think about it from the perspective of a parent skimming through stories about Disney, I do wonder whether it is all seems heavy handed, if not a bit odd. First, there was the overblown coverage of the same sex kiss in Lightyear. Another poster put up an article a few days ago doing the rounds about an episode in a new Baymax cartoon for Disney+ showing a masculine-presenting trans kid buying tampons in the supermarket. Next year, we have the new WDFA feature Strange World featuring a gay male teenage character who has a crush on another guy. So, I can understand someone getting the impression that there is a real push within Disney to include queer storylines in their entertainment for kids and wondering whether it's better to just give them Minions to watch.

The reality, I think, is far more nuanced, particularly when you consider how a brief moment or background character amongst the mountain of entertainment Disney is producing sparks outsized media coverage. There is also a reasonable argument that you have to push through the initial controversy to ever get to a point where such things are no longer controversial. I think it is reasonable to say, though, that they are weighing up the possible business impact and social impact, and erring toward the latter on these issues.
It's the feeling, or rather the reality that things are being placed in entertainement in a way that feels forced that is bothersome.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wish people would be honest and say “I wish Disney would go back to the worldview I have because I don’t like the world not being only about me!”

Eh, I guess it’s quicker to type “political agenda”.
1656791291621.gif

Phil12

Bob Chapek tends to kick butt and take names. That is tough on the creative folks but some of us think that is exactly what Disney needs right now. Now that Peter Rice and Geoff Morrell have been shown the door I suspect that others will leave or adjust their work ethic and become team players.

GimpYancIent

Bob Chapek tends to kick butt and take names. That is tough on the creative folks but some of us think that is exactly what Disney needs right now. Now that Peter Rice and Geoff Morrell have been shown the door I suspect that others will leave or adjust their work ethic and become team players.
Kind of sounds like Stalin's way of operating. Interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom