News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

el_super

We don’t know at all exactly what details went into this. Not at all.

Unless there is evidence to the contrary, there is no reason to NOT believe or accept it. The board supported him being promoted to CEO. The board has supported his decision making and the board just renewed his contract.

There is zero factual evidence to the contrary.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unless there is evidence to the contrary, there is no reason to NOT believe or accept it. The board supported him being promoted to CEO. The board has supported his decision making and the board just renewed his contract.

There is zero factual evidence to the contrary.
You’re not entitled to the “facts” as they go behind the closed door.

You don’t have to be “cynical”…but given what’s happened - 50% stock drop and the worst PR string of events Disney has had since at least 20 years ago - a little “skeptical” is probably something to consider. Take it from an old guy like me

Last edited:

MrPromey

The layperson Disney fan will love it solely because of the IP. Fans of themed entertainment remain disappointed… Slinky Dog Dash is really symbolic of what’s wrong with current leadership… IMO only, of course, because it gets 100+ minute waits all day.
If you take Toy Story Midway Mania (open for about a decade prior) out of it, I think we're left with something comparable to Chester and Hester's in its prime which most of us consider a low point in Disney Florida parks.

Although, the use of oversized lifeless fiberglass IP may make TSL worse. (Isn't that the level of theming Disney uses in it's lowest budget motel-like value resort?)

Chester and Hester actually was well done for the concept they were shooting for. It was just the cheap concept that sucked.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

They follow it because it keeps working.
Cost cutting has not always worked. Disney's cost cutting caused a guest to die on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain back in 2003 by making the ride as a real runaway train. Disney and the family of the guest ending up settling a lawsuit.

Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss in Disneyland were to known for cost cutting by doing stuff like cutting the amount of money for maintenance. Their actions caused the guest's death on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain.

I have an article link that shows Disney at fault multiple guests deaths caused by rides at Disneyland during the Paul Pressler/Cynthia Harriss era. https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/article/the-most-turbulent-era-in-disneyland-history-17125238.php

el_super

You’re not entitled to the “facts” as they go behind the closed door.

There's no reason at all to think that the board doesn't mean what they are saying publicly. No need to invent a conspiracy here.

Which is the same thing happening with the Rice information. It makes less and less sense to believe that Chapek was threatened or saw him as a potential threat that had to be eliminated, as the board keeps signalling support. If the board really felt that Rice was a good potential replacement, why would they have allowed Chapek to fire him? If Chapek acted without the board's authority, why renew his contract? Defies logic at this point.

Seems far more likely that Chapek is acting at the direction of the board, and not against it.

el_super

I have an article link that shows Disney at fault multiple guests deaths caused by rides at Disneyland during the Paul Pressler/Cynthia Harriss era.

And?

Attendance kept going up, revenue kept going up, and no one batted and eye. When Big Thunder reopened a year later, it crashed again with guests on board. When it reopened after that accident, it did so to huge crowds.

It currently has a 45 minute wait.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you take Toy Story Midway Mania (open for about a decade prior) out of it, I think we're left with something comparable to Chester and Hester's in its prime which most of us consider a low point in Disney Florida parks.

Although, the use of oversized lifeless fiberglass IP may make TSL worse, actually where as, Chester and Hester actually was well done for the concept they were shooting for. It was just the concept that sucked.
Exactly.

Slinky is basically primeval whirl with a smoother ride and attractive trains.

Aliens is…well…much less interesting than the ride it was cloned off of.

What else is Toy story land?? A mech pop up and a quick service counter?

Not to be pessimistic (Paris, the thought 🇫🇷)…but that is what it is.

Midway wasn’t built as the “first step in toy story land) it was a designated clone two add a little capacity in two parks desperate for it. And it worked.

But that doesn’t mean it was a 9 year head start.

Sir_Cliff

And?

Attendance kept going up, revenue kept going up, and no one batted and eye. When Big Thunder reopened a year later, it crashed again with guests on board. When it reopened after that accident, it did so to huge crowds.

It currently has a 45 minute wait.
Your reaction to the assertion that guests died due to cost-cutting is really "And? They kept making money anyway"?

So if they come up with a business plan that maximises profits at the cost of a few guests being killed here or there, you feel that's reasonable?

MrPromey

Exactly.

Slinky is basically primeval whirl with a smoother ride and attractive trains.

Aliens is…well…much less interesting than the ride it was cloned off of.

What else is Toy story land?? A mech pop up and a quick service counter?

Not to be pessimistic (Paris, the thought 🇫🇷)…but that is what it is.

Midway wasn’t built as the “first step in toy story land) it was a designated clone two add a little capacity in two parks desperate for it. And it worked.

But that doesn’t mean it was a 9 year head start.
Dang. I reworded my post AFTER you quoted. 😒

But still yes to all of it.

el_super

Your reaction to the assertion that guests died due to cost-cutting is really "And? They kept making money anyway"?

So if they come up with a business plan that maximises profits at the cost of a few guests being killed here or there, you feel that's reasonable?

Just highlighting that indeed, their plans keep working.

You would think that an accident like that would have some impact on attendance and spending, but it really didn't... Did it?

MrPromey

I don't think that's how he meant it.

UNCgolf

I think you vastly underestimate the appeal of toy story land. Every single person in my social circle who has been to Disney in the last few years raves about it. It may not appeal to you, but it definitely appeals to the masses. Personally I think it's a fun d-ticket land that does just what it's designed to do.

I'm not even arguing about whether people enjoy what's there -- I know people really like Slinky Dog, although I don't think people care much about anything else there beyond TSM, which was not built as part of TSL.

My complaint is how little is there for the giant footprint. It's a terrible use of the space; at the very least they should have been able to include another attraction as well as multiple shops and QS locations.

EDIT: As a comparison -- TSL is roughly 40k square meters if you include TSM and the footprint where they are adding the table service restaurant. So three attractions, one table service restaurant, and one QS with barely any seating (and none indoors). The main area of Fantasyland (I cut out Peter Pan, Small World, Pinocchio Village Haus, and Philharmagic for this measurement) is also roughly 40k square meters and includes 6 attractions (if you count Enchanted Tales), a signature restaurant, multiple quick service locations, and multiple shops.

If you include all of Fantasyland, it's still less than 60k square meters and adds 3 more attractions and a QS restaurant with a huge amount of seating.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I'm not even arguing about whether people enjoy what's there -- I know people really like Slinky Dog, although I don't think people care much about anything else there (I'm not counting TSMM since it was preexisting and not built as part of the land).

My complaint is how little is there for the giant footprint. It's a terrible use of the space; they should have been able to include another attraction, multiples shops, and multiple dining locations there.
AND some shade…

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm not even arguing about whether people enjoy what's there -- I know people really like Slinky Dog, although I don't think people care much about anything else there (I'm not counting TSMM since it was preexisting and not built as part of the land).

My complaint is how little is there for the giant footprint. It's a terrible use of the space; they should have been able to include another attraction, multiples shops, and multiple dining locations there.

How many attractions did MGM have - a whole park - on opening day? DAK? Expansion is always possible. They are adding a new table service restaurant already.

I do agree about the lack of shade, however.

UNCgolf

How many attractions did MGM have - a whole park - on opening day? DAK? Expansion is always possible. They are adding a new table service restaurant already.

I do agree about the lack of shade, however.

See my edit for a good comparison, but I'm also not sure what you're arguing. MGM and AK had unused space when they opened.

With TSL, an expansion means they will be using even MORE land, which is the whole problem. They can't add to the existing footprint because of the way it was designed unless they want to tear down Slinky Dog Dash.

Even next door is a bad comparison for TSL in terms of overall footprint. Galaxy's Edge is larger, but not that much larger -- it takes up 15-20% more land than TSL. Only having two attractions there was a mistake, but it also has far more to see/do than TSL in terms of shops, dining, and just general props/design.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom