News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

rreading

Nothing wrong with that. I just think that it should have been a high-quality, signature attraction for something using an iconic piece of Star Wars instead of a life-sized video game simulator. As it stands, it’s going to need multiple different missions to improve overall re-rideability.
Do you mean a “high-quality signature attraction” like RotR?

I agree it MF:SR would be significantly better with multiple missions but flying the MF is the right idea (what else would you do?)

floydbeatle

This is a great Fortune Magazine photo of Chapek! I get the magazine, but not the online subscription. The title is:

Disney’s business is booming—but CEO Bob Chapek is stumbling anyway and insiders worry his tough leadership style is causing too much friction​

1655398707992.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

When you ask for reasons why you're being fired and "you don't fit the culture" is all they can give you, something smells worse than a 2-week dead fish.

Sounds like Mr. Rice may have been too successful for his own good, seeing as how he was given a 3-year contract extension last August based on his success. This all sounds like $lappie saw him as a threat to his seat and dumped him.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
This is a great Fortune Magazine photo of Chapek! I get the magazine, but not the online subscription. The title is:

Disney’s business is booming—but CEO Bob Chapek is stumbling anyway and insiders worry his tough leadership style is causing too much friction​

View attachment 646231
The highlight of the fortune article:
77829D7D-8E1B-4C07-9526-1930026E919D.jpeg

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Here’s the link to the Fortune article although it is subscribers only. Also some interesting quotes from Jim Shull.

In the 33 years Jim Shull spent at Imagineering, his job was to pitch and then build new park attractions at Disney properties. He did this first under Eisner, then Iger, and just before retirement, Chapek. “I would go to Bob Iger and say, ‘Hey Bob, I have a good idea based on a movie. It’s family-friendly; we can get it there in four years.’ He’d look at me and say, ‘We need it sooner. Can you do this, this, and this to get it there sooner?’ He would be part of the process.” Chapek, on the other hand, says Shull, would kill the idea on the spot if there was not immediate agreement on Chapek’s terms of cost or timing. The conversation would end, and the idea wouldn’t see another day, says Shull.

Iger, says Shull, developed a cadence with the Imagineering team. He engaged in a negotiation, asking questions and pointing out what aspects of the pitch worked for him, what didn’t, and why, as well as what the team could possibly tuck away for later use. He showed interest; by Shull’s estimation, he always felt Iger was up for being convinced of the merits of a project. “It didn’t mean I always won, but he would listen and be engaged,” says Shull. “I would use the term ‘transactional’ for Bob Chapek. [He] thinks more along the lines of, how does that fit the box and how much does it cost?”

When Chapek’s role was chairman of parks and resorts, Shull says, he seemed nervous in pitch meetings. “He asked the types of questions you’d ask if you came from consumer products,” says Shull. “He talked in units. I felt like he was trying to understand a very different business from what he was used to.”

MaximumEd

Here’s the link to the Fortune article although it is subscribers only. Also some interesting quotes from Jim Shull.
He’s a cheap crap peddler. All he understands is units and cost. Don’t get me wrong, if your goal is to make bank off merch, you need a guy like that. If you’re on a road trip with him, you might occasionally let him pick where to stop and eat, but you don’t give him the keys to the car.

EPCOT-O.G.

He’s a cheap crap peddler. All he understands is units and cost. Don’t get me wrong, if your goal is to make bank off merch, you need a guy like that. If you’re on a road trip with him, you might occasionally let him pick where to stop and eat, but you don’t give him the keys to the car.
The irony is that someone with that mindset would be the absolute worst customer for Disney; they'd pack their lunch, stay off-site, and figure out to park at Disney Springs and bus over to the park.

MrPromey

View attachment 646231
Here's the full article - no subscription needed:

Sir_Cliff

Here's the full article - no subscription needed:
This is quite an interesting article and two things really strike me.

The first is that Disney is actually doing quite well financially, but there is a sense Chapek is just missing something as CEO that is getting almost overwhelming. There are certainly blunders in terms of public perception, however, overall, it's not like he's had a rocky tenure so far in terms of the hard numbers he's achieved steering Disney through some very difficult years. You'd think he'd be a hero to the financial press, yet here we are.

The second thing is how loud this narrative is getting that Chapek is the wrong fit for Disney CEO and Chapek's seeming inability to course correct to address it. This, I guess, may relate to whatever that something is that's missing, which the article reasonably suggests is EQ. You get the impression that he would be mystified that the sudden firing of Rice has created so much negative coverage, was mystified about all the other things he's done that have created negative coverage, and will be mystified by the next thing he does that creates negative coverage. He really doesn't seem to understand people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom