News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is all correct. But let me add that Walt never needed the "sharp pencil boys" because he was a master at getting other people (sponsors) to pay for what he wanted. He was a salesman first and foremost.

Today, the "sharp pencil boys" (especially Chapek) are needed more than ever before. They have to figure out how to offset the massive costs because big sponsors are now very rare. Let's face it. Advertising and ad placement has changed dramatically since Walt's time.

And Disney has not been a family run company in a long time. It's a massive corporate conglomerate. It's owned by a large number of investment companies such as Vanguard, Blackrock, SSgA Funds and many others. Therefore, I think we need to be forthright and honest. In short, Disney has been owned by the "sharp pencil boys" for a very long time.

We need to thank the "sharp pencil boys" for keeping Disney.........Disney!
The sponsorship Model broke long agoā€¦digital technology was always gonna kill sponsorship for Disney.

the issue is that Disney canā€™t be ā€œlike Disneyā€ in the 21st world when they are publicly traded. Itā€™s not possible.

itā€™s a world of not only commissioned brokersā€¦but bankers and insurance agents tooā€¦at nanosecond fast corporate levelā€¦

so as long as someone in Sacramento or west Chester county can make profit from their couch simply by putting pressure on a public boardā€¦the ā€œquality will win outā€ mantra has a clock on it.

its a world of pump and dump now. It just is what it is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No other suitable replacements from the outside to be considered CEO that the Disney Board didn't consider? Maybe they are the ones drinking.. Iger left with approx $800M net worth. If I left like that I would be leaving happy.
Iā€™m just saying that bobā€™s exit was completely ā€œnon-coincidentalā€ā€¦

no matter what any praetorian saysā€¦this is a fact, not a conspiracy theory:

1. Iger resigns on a Random day at 4 oā€™clock in February
2. World shuts down in exactly 2 weeks later

ā€œit was all planned outā€

bull

Power is moneyā€¦and we know that the money knew in December/January at the latest.

my hunch is he would have extended again under normal conditions to pump his streaming service.

but he ran out and tossed it like a hot potato to slappy.

and then has been pushing a quiet disgruntlement ever since. But no search was done. There is no coincidence hereā€¦

you screwed up, Bob.

Last edited:

orky8

That is all correct. But let me add that Walt never needed the "sharp pencil boys" because he was a master at getting other people (sponsors) to pay for what he wanted. He was a salesman first and foremost.

Today, the "sharp pencil boys" (especially Chapek) are needed more than ever before. They have to figure out how to offset the massive costs because big sponsors are now very rare. Let's face it. Advertising and ad placement has changed dramatically since Walt's time.

And Disney has not been a family run company in a long time. It's a massive corporate conglomerate. It's owned by a large number of investment companies such as Vanguard, Blackrock, SSgA Funds and many others. Therefore, I think we need to be forthright and honest. In short, Disney has been owned by the "sharp pencil boys" for a very long time.

We need to thank the "sharp pencil boys" for keeping Disney.........Disney!
I largely agree with you, but Disney was still largely "Disney" before Iger, even if not family-owned. Eisner seemed to appreciate what it meant to be Disney, even if there were several missteps, especially post-Wells.

Adding Pixar - yes, made total sense. Pixar = Disney.
LucasArts, ok. Can see the symmetry there and was a PG rated franchise anyway that meshed well and was already in the parks.
Marvel, eh... starting to lose the thread. That's literally a perfect fit for Universal....
Fox?!?! Simpsons now equals Disney? (and I loved the Simpsons when I was in college). Let me buy Fox so I can buoy up content on Disney+ and who cares what it does for the brand. The sharp pencil boys have abandoned what Disney is and are only looking at short term profit or growth targets. This can't end well...

What's wrong with you stupido? (seriously, somehow that's "Disney" approved now. #ThanksIger)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Iā€™m just saying that bobā€™s exit was completely ā€œnon-coincidentalā€ā€¦

no matter what any praetorian saysā€¦this is a fact, not a conspiracy theory:

1. Iger resigns on a Random day at 4 oā€™clock in February
2. World shuts down in exactly 2 weeks later

ā€œit was all planned outā€

bull****

Power is moneyā€¦and we know that the money knew in December/January at the latest.

my hunch is he would have extended again under normal conditions to pump his streaming service.

but he ran out and tossed it like a hot potato to slappy.

and then has been pushing a quiet disgruntlement ever since. But no search was done. There is no coincidence hereā€¦

you screwed up, Bob.
Maybe he misses "being creative" and telling WDI to add more trees? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Or, he's angry that $lappie said, "Let's make a show about Disney music. Everyone loves Disney music!" as if it were some earth-shattering creative idea.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I largely agree with you, but Disney was still largely "Disney" before Iger, even if not family-owned. Eisner seemed to appreciate what it meant to be Disney, even if there were several missteps, especially post-Wells.

LucasArts, ok. Can see the symmetry there and was a PG rated franchise anyway that meshed well and was already in the parks.
Marvel, eh... starting to lose the thread. That's literally a perfect fit for Universal....
Fox?!?! Simpsons now equals Disney? (and I loved the Simpsons when I was in college). Let me buy Fox so I can buoy up content on Disney+ and who cares what it does for the brand. The sharp pencil boys have abandoned what Disney is and are only looking at short term profit or growth targets. This can't end well...

What's wrong with you stupido? (seriously, somehow that's "Disney" approved now. #ThanksIger)
Disney would be hobbled if they didn't make the Fox purchase and double down on streaming.

Streaming is clearly the future of home entertainment as people continue to 'cut the cord.'

Disney makes **a lot** of profit from the linear channels. That profit kept the corporation from posting big deficits during the shut-downs.

In the face of future pandemics, Disney absolutely needs the at-home market. And the future of that market is streaming.

The Fox purchase gave Disney:
  • Access to markets world wide
  • Infrastructure to world wide markets
  • A much deeper and more adult library
  • A lot more studios to produce content for the voracious appetite of its streamers
  • Studios that produce award-winning cinema
  • Even more linear networks
  • More sports for ESPN (so much so they had to divest a chunk of it)
To judge the Fox purchase solely on the merits of how "Disney" Fox content is, is very shortsighted for the future health of the company.... which could have a profound affect on the parks.

Not to mention that now that Disney owns all those studios, they can have a hand in 'Dinseyfying' their future content.

Cesar R M

Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no. Do not let Iger become CEO again.
What if everything was a keikaku (all according to the plan)?.
Make Chapek the unlikeable clown that makes things so bad that they could even see Iger's return as a godsend.
Therefore Iger would have a more freeway and make himself look like a savior a la Roy Disney.

Cesar R M

They have to figure out how to offset the massive costs because big sponsors are now very rare. Let's face it. Advertising and ad placement has changed dramatically since Walt's time.
Reputation goes a long way. Its' rare to see big spoons when Disney does give very little in return now.
Also Disney back when Walt was alive.. was nowhere as big as the monstrous behemoth it is right now.
I can't imagine Disney asking for sponsors now that your company rivals Microsoft, Exxon, and top banks in terms of value.

JoeCamel

What if everything was a keikaku (all according to the plan)?.
Make Chapek the unlikeable clown that makes things so bad that they could even see Iger's return as a godsend.
Therefore Iger would have a more freeway and make himself look like a savior a la Roy Disney.
Good cop bad cop?

MrPromey

Don't forget the sports betting Bob the second has stated he wants a piece of.

Last edited:

Phil12

Reputation goes a long way. Its' rare to see big spoons when Disney does give very little in return now.
Also Disney back when Walt was alive.. was nowhere as big as the monstrous behemoth it is right now.
I can't imagine Disney asking for sponsors now that your company rivals Microsoft, Exxon, and top banks in terms of value.
Disney solicits sponsors constantly! Advertising and marketing is the backbone of worldwide commerce and Disney fights hard to garner every penny they can get. The competition is vast, the stakes are high and the tactics are cutthroat.

Remember that the sponsors want their product to be seen and Disney has more than the average media footprint (print, radio, TV, digital, etc.). Therefore, advertisers want a huge company to handle their accounts.

However, as pointed out by sirwalterraleigh, the digital world has killed the old sponsorship model that built the parks. Disney was slow to adapt but now they're catching up.

And that game of catch-up demands that a lot of the old Disney has to go bye bye. This video is a good example of the way things are changing. It wasn't too long ago that you could play this video on any other site. Now that's prohibited. You must now go directly to YouTube to see it. Why? It's all about the media money:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom