Bob Iger on CNBC/SDL Opening News thread

WDW1974

Original Poster
And the buildup to Shanghai's opening continues. Normally, I'd put this on my general thread, but it would be a shame to get lost. This is Disney's CEO today talking about SDL and the Chinese market.

I know this was heavily edited. Have no idea why, other than likely Bob asked that it be. I also know that Americans will likely have a very different read on it, then the Chinese will.

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/disney-ceo-china-expansion-101700767.html

EDIT: This thread will be a catch all for all news leading up to and including the Grand Opening of Shanghai Disneyland next week. Please keep posts on topics relating to this only.

Last edited:

asianway

And the buildup to Shanghai's opening continues. Normally, I'd put this on my general thread, but it would be a shame to get lost. This is Disney's CEO today talking about SDL and the Chinese market.

I know this was heavily edited. Have no idea why, other than likely Bob asked that it be. I also know that Americans will likely have a very different read on it, then the Chinese will.

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/disney-ceo-china-expansion-101700767.html
A shame no one asked him how an hourly CM could make off with $100k out of a QSR till. Place is probably being robbed dry if that was possible.

WDW1974

Original Poster

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The more I read in the Wall Street Journal about the US companies gradually having difficulty doing business with China along with rising tensions, the more I think SDL will not succeed.

If anyone thought China wanted to come and join the world community as a peaceful partner, Well I have bridge for sale in Brooklin and a tower in Paris France not Texas for sale CHEAP along with oceanfront property in Arizona...

Piebald

As someone who goes to China a lot, this park is most assuredly going to be a fail (at the very least to the finance and accounting folks.)

the.dreamfinder

Bloomberg spoke with the weatherman this morning as well. They were a little too deferential to him and ask him a tougher question like "given the profitability and lower costs of your international Disney Channels, why choose an expensive theme park that is more vulnerable in economic downturns?" The closest they ever got were questions about successful which he politely declined to answer with little
In exchange for their softball questions, Iger gave them an exclusive on the studios' plan to restart production of Mandarin language* Disney films with a Chinese partner.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...o-iger-talks-china-film-production-succession

* I make note of Bob's emphasis on Mandarin language films because there's a growing fear in Cantonese speaking Hong Kong that the CCP wants to kill that dialect as it continues assert itself over the city. The cinema has served as a battleground as Hong Kong directors like Stephen Chow and Wong Kar Wai make Madarin language films for mainland backers.

WDW1974

Original Poster

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some early thoughts after watching coverage thus far:

Bob Iger hasn't learned a thing about tempering his arrogance. That might be endearing on Wall Street, but it doesn't play as well in China. Oh, and there are a few analysts who aren't feeling the love for Bob or the company right now.

While early visitors seem to like the park, there are lots of complaints from food prices (Shanghai isn't like any other market Disney has opened in) to waits (watched a Bloomberg report with a woman talking about waiting two hours for a turkey leg and numerous people complaining about waits for attractions). Yes, it would appear the park is woefully short of people-eaters (like a certain Spirit has been saying). I guess we know what those huge walkways are for: frustrated visitors.

Disney is sending loads of western media from the entertainment and business sectors, as well as celebrities, over to Shanghai. Apparently, the government has been told that Shanghai as a tourist destination (not simply SDL) will be played up earning the official seal of approval.

The one thing I see that I expected -- and love -- is the level of detailing that Bob Weis and his team put into the park. Obviously, far more will miss all of it or most of it, than even WDW Guests ... but that isn't why it is there. Detailing is what made Disney the leader in the business for decades.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seems as though the reporters did think to question the extra $800m and were told it was for extra attractions but thus far no one has been able to say what those extra attractions were, right? This park better be a success.

No. We still have no answer and we won't because that isn't where that $800 million went. But what's a few hundred million here or there, am I right?

WDW1974

Original Poster
The more I read in the Wall Street Journal about the US companies gradually having difficulty doing business with China along with rising tensions, the more I think SDL will not succeed.

It will. The government wants it to, and I do believe the interest is there.

But it will be a bumpy road (as it has been for seven years now). UNI should be paying attention with Beijing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom