Bob Iger Bans Top Analyst and His Firm

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just so we are clear, Richie has been banned since last December, when he downgraded the stock. And, yet, not a peep out of the financial press, including reporters who often quote him, his firm and their reports.

I am not even sure that an argument couldn't be crafted that what the incredibly thin-skinned Weatherman is doing isn't outright illegal. He is preventing a Wall Street firm that is critical of him and his leadership from having equal access-- or ANY access --to the company in order to keep his stock artificially high. I am not a financial expert, certainly not on SEC rules and the like ... but it is, at the very least, incredibly unethical and very, very troubling.

You just can't have this. And you can't have a democracy where the CEO of the largest media/entertainment company gets to dictate everything that is written or said about him, his leadership, his company by anyone of consequence.

Rutt

Where is the ban? I may be misreading the article, but not inviting someone is not the same as banning them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
BTW, yes, this is something that I think strongly deserves emails and phone calls to Disney in Burbank to condemn, even though I strongly doubt anyone here will ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Where is the ban? I may be misreading the article, but not inviting someone is not the same as banning them.

You want to play semantics? This guy needs invites and cooperation to do his job. He isn't getting even an email or phone call back from Disney because they don't like that he is down on their stock. They are preventing him from doing his job in a punitive action because he/they hurt Bob's feelings.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is the beginning of the end for Iger and perhaps Disney, One simply does not snub a major analyst without the analyst community ganging up on the company, Enron was last major (failed) company to pull stunts like cutting off analysts.

If you don't like the analyst's coverage you prove them wrong even needle them in the press and earnings calls,.

Monorail_Orange

This is the beginning of the end for Iger and perhaps Disney, One simply does not snub a major analyst without the analyst community ganging up on the company, Enron was last major (failed) company to pull stunts like cutting off analysts.

If you don't like the analyst's coverage you prove them wrong even needle them in the press and earnings calls,.
Talking about leaving a legacy, for Bob Iger, it could be taking the quintessential American company, the legacy of Walt, and turned it into the next Enron.

Attachments

• -659339754.jpg
    -659339754.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 213

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Where there is smoke there is fire, As to how big that's undetermined
Look, analysts manipulate stocks every single day by reporting "news". Their only job is too make money for whomever they report to, regardless of any kind of reality. Yes, Enron was in real trouble, but that has nothing to do with TWDC. Rules have been tightened quite a bit since then. Do you really think that Iger wants to go to prison?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sounds like sour grapes.

This is far bigger than sour grapes, This is just NOT DONE the analyst community are the first line watchdogs of the public equities market. You wanna crash your stock fast well getting the analyst community hacked off at your management team is a good way to start. It's also a really good way to attract unwanted attention from the SEC and state securities regulators.

Rutt

IF this is the case, and I say if because well, three sides to every story, perhaps the company felt that this analyst was not playing fair with their reports? As a sports fan I see it all the time between teams and certain members of the media. If you're a company and you feel someone is purposefully hurting your company, why would you help them do that?

As an honest question, is there a legal obligation to allow members of any company or media into your meetings or any legal obligations to respond to their inquiries?

Not that I agree with the whole sour grapes approach, but it is rather common.

edit - nevermind. Gonna take my leave.

TeriofTerror

You just can't have this. And you can't have a democracy where the CEO of the largest media/entertainment company gets to dictate everything that is written or said about him, his leadership, his company by anyone of consequence.
And aren't there rumors that Mr. Iger has political aspirations for when his tenure at Disney concludes? That's a scary thought...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Really??? You're jumping on that stupid bandwagon???

Denying an analyst who is critical of your firm access is simply 'NOT DONE' unless your company has something to hide, It's NOT the analysts job to be a cheerleader for a specific company it's to recommend to their clients and public at large whether they recommend BUY/HOLD/SELL. It's why financial reporters state whether they have a position in a given company they are reporting on.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
IF this is the case, and I say if because well, three sides to every story, perhaps the company felt that this analyst was not playing fair with their reports? As a sports fan I see it all the time between teams and certain members of the media. If you're a company and you feel someone is purposefully hurting your company, why would you help them do that?

As an honest question, is there a legal obligation to allow members of any company or media into your meetings or any legal obligations to respond to their inquiries?

Not that I agree with the whole sour grapes approach, but it is rather common.

edit - nevermind. Gonna take my leave.

Media no obligation whatsoever If media is granted access it's a courtesy.

Analysts as they generally work for financial firms and are part of the financial industry, there is an obligation on the part of public companies to grant them access to non public financial information and senior managers. An analyst's role is to be an impartial advisor to the institutions with whom they are afilliated with clients and that means the companies being covered by an analyst may not like their conclusions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom