Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

seascape

I don't think this is the end of Iger's plans. He will want to leave a legacy that is second to none. Plans will still be made for the 50th which is not included in the 3 billion. More hotels and a brand new DVC are still needed and have to be finished before 2021. Besides the 2 Flamingo Crossing hotels, 5,000 to 7,500 more rooms are needed by 2021.

As for any possibility of Universal out drawing Hollywood studios after construction is done there is no way that will happen. It is possible while construction is being done but when finished you will see the new named park draw well over 15 million a year with the new rides and space.

UpAllNight

I'll just be interested in both.

Exciting times at both resorts.

Universal aren't just going to sit around and let Disney walk it with Star Wars, you can get they're already working on their response (Potter phase 3 I would suggest would be their 'safest' response). Seaworld too may have to keep dropping in world class coasters just to stay in the game.

Brilliant for people who just love theme parks.

articos

Am I the only one who finds the lack of 's to be really distracting? Does Bob Iger despise punctuation that much?
It's been a branding initiative for some time now. No more Disney's, just Disney. Disney California Adventure. Disney Frozen. Disney Paint the Night Parade. Disney Hollywood Adventure.
It's stupid. But Bob had nothing to do with it. He just went along.

BrianLo

I think people are confused about when "budget cuts" occur. They occur in the planning and budgeting stage. We are beyond that, it's been budgeted and approved. The budget cuts would have occurred at the BOD meeting if they optioned for the cheapest "Plan C". Or they would have occurred in the last 2+ years they have been designing and planning for the re-do.

Funds may shift around a bit, but they aren't suddenly going to axe half of the attractions on their planned menu, claw back a billion dollars or value engineer the heck out of everything... that's been done already. Or in this case, it hasn't, since they received their overzealous dream dollar amount.

janoimagine

It looks it.
I really disagree ... considering it was done in 64' ... the artwork, exterior, sets, hundreds of animatronics, its classic great timeless design ... I would love to see the Disney of today do anything that good in 9months, they wish they had any designers or imagineers (Maybe aside from Joe R, John L or Eddie Sotto ... who is gone) who are as good as Rolly or Mary. They can barely design a logo in 6 months without running it through focus groups, mom panels and social media tests, let alone an entire attraction.

Last edited:

DDLand

It's been a branding initiative for some time now. No more Disney's, just Disney. Disney California Adventure. Disney Frozen. Disney Paint the Night Parade. Disney Hollywood Adventure.
I'm with you for almost all of the above, but DCA I do actually like. As the companion park to Disneyland, it makes perfect sense. In the same way it's not Disney'sLand, it's not Disney's California Adventure. The continuity there is something I appreciate.

BrerJon

Am I the only one who finds the lack of 's to be really distracting? Does Bob Iger despise punctuation that much?

It's all part of the desire to remove Walt from things, make Disney a brand not a person. It's Universal Islands of Adventure, not Universal's Islands of Adventure... it's Busch Gardens, not Busch's Gardens... that's what they're going for I think.

EDIT: Oh I was wrong, it *is* Universal's Islands of Adventure. I was sure it wasn't!

Last edited:

BrerJon

Funds may shift around a bit, but they aren't suddenly going to axe half of the attractions on their planned menu, claw back a billion dollars or value engineer the heck out of everything... that's been done already. Or in this case, it hasn't, since they received their overzealous dream dollar amount.

But that's exactly what happened with New Fantasyland, isn't it? It was announced, lots of concept art and attractions confirmed, then completely changed, sliced and diced during construction. The Mine Train, which itself got chopped up, wasn't even in the plans when they were first announced.

BrerJon

I would love to see the Disney of today do anything that good in 9months, they wish they had any designers or imagineers (Maybe aside from Joe R, John L or Eddie Sotto ... who is gone) who are as good as Rolly or Mary. They can barely design a logo in 6 months without running it through focus groups, mom panels and social media tests, let alone an entire attraction.

Can you imagine what the Mom's Panel would say about Mary Blair. "I don't like that giraffe, why is it purply striped? That's stupid." Focus groups are why we can't have nice things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom