Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney is like the ex lover who says 'just give me one more try, I'll be different this time!'. You want to believe they've changed, and all their friends say they've changed, but it's still hard to have faith until they prove it. But you have to give them a chance, you can't just dismiss them completely.

Every major project is different. And this is the first project of its scope since last century. No, Pandora or redoing the mall are not on scale or importance.

Look at the rumours hinted at / suggested on here... 4 Billion plus budget, new Star Wars hotel in addition to a brand new DHS, new monorail, plus some things fixed up at Epcot, new management with new attitude in charge of things... if all the speculation comes off, it will be great, but every day does seem to bring some new incredible thing that the budget is supposed to be paying for, and all this talk of everything in WDW being fixed by one Board of Directors meeting, and a new golden age arriving, just seems way too good to be true, and setting things up for disappointment.

If that's what's been spouted in the two dozen plus pages I skipped, then I am very glad I did. I am not touching the budget issue. There is EDIT: left out key word: NO Star Wars hotel coming. Or a new monorail (Yes, I'd be shouting from the rooftops that Darth Iger isn't completely evil if that were the case!) There will be new things coming to EPCOT (beyond Frozen) that is true. Management will be changing. All you have to do is look at the age of the players to realize that many of them will be gone within the next 18-36 months.

And I certainly am not suggesting a new Golden Age for WDW, just one that offers considerably more and better quality offerings than what we have been suffering from this century.

So inevitably whatever happens won't be as good as people are hoping for, but if we keep expectations low - a couple of nice rides and mini-lands for DHS, a few broken lightbulbs fixed across the rest of the property, then we can be pleasantly surprised if we get anything more, instead of bitterly disappointed they didn't give us what we hoped for.

EDIT: Edited to be less offensive!

Nothing wrong with that 'tude, Jon.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

That I'm not looking at.

I'm looking at resort and individual park crowd distribution and where the crowds are, which days, etc...[/QUOTE
Good times. And I'll still stand by that news being correct at that time.

I'll also show you the press release for the Russian and Swiss pavilions. And the Mediteranian Resort.
too bad about DAK not getting a version of Mysterious Island - they were trying to reboot 20,000 leagues alittle while back but Disney pulled the plug.

jensenrick

The one important thing is: the project is moving forward (projects, actually) and they are major and they have funding. And that funding won't suddenly move to China or Paris or the new CP/Interactive hybrid that was announced today

Question please- what is CP/Interactive hybrid?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
:cool:
That is true. And I expect these plans to morph somewhat. But the key is somewhat. Just like the Extreme Makeover: Theme Park Edition Season 1 played out at DCA (things that were going to happen didn't, others did ... and some things wound up happening anyway -- Condor Flats being devoured by the Grizzly Peak NP theme -- did a few years later!), I'd expect similar to happen this go around.

The one important thing is: the project is moving forward (projects, actually) and they are major and they have funding. And that funding won't suddenly move to China or Paris or the new CP/Interactive hybrid that was announced today or even to securing the Potter film rights for another decade for ABC Family!

Nope, this be happening. (Should I do a patented Spirit Be Right Yet Again Dance?)
Dance away my friend :cool:.

OneDNP

I'll just state that I vet my sources and their information so much better than any real reporter covering that company today (which is why many folks at Disney cringe when I bring up serious topics that they don't want in the news).

Journalism in the "lifestyle" genres has largely gone to pay-to-play with advertisers. Reporters can't make a living by actually reporting news unless the publisher (print, web, or otherwise) is on board with the story. The insiders in these areas posting on the web generally have a day job that is not threatened by revealing their knowledge, which is part of what makes them so popular. Hence why I go to forums like this for my news rather than any of the official Disney sites.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
If the rumors are true that a good size chunk of the backlot area and animation courtyard is being bulldozed just to make way for a FL version of Toy Story Land from HK with basically themed up off the shelf rides I will be severely disappointed in John Lasseter

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Realize that with the cheap will also come the pricey. With the off the shelf, will also come the unique.

You have to fill out a park with a wide variety of experiences. The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios is literally lacking in all categories (I could see some arguing its got plenty of thrill with ToT, RnRC and ST, but I have a hard time buying into that one.) ...when this is done, it won't lack in any of them. ... Hopefully!

HauntedMansionFLA

Every major project is different. And this is the first project of its scope since last century. No, Pandora or redoing the mall are not on scale or importance.

If that's what's been spouted in the two dozen plus pages I skipped, then I am very glad I did. I am not touching the budget issue. There is Star Wars hotel coming. Or a new monorail (Yes, I'd be shouting from the rooftops that Darth Iger isn't completely evil if that were the case!) There will be new things coming to EPCOT (beyond Frozen) that is true. Management will be changing. All you have to do is look at the age of the players to realize that many of them will be gone within the next 18-36 months.

And I certainly am not suggesting a new Golden Age for WDW, just one that offers considerably more and better quality offerings than what we have been suffering from this century.

Nothing wrong with that 'tude, Jon.
I'd be dumb enough to buy into a Star Wars DVC resort :) great information. And hey @PhotoDave219 - thanks for supplying all of the numbers for DHS. It's interesting to see the treads. I'd be curious to see the trickle down effect with guest spending with the food and retail at DHS.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Like I said on another page though while new projects are a breath of fresh air they still won't resolve the fundamental issues of WDW including the unwillingness of management to close rides throughout the year for needed refurbishments, maintaining basic upkeep and maintenance of attractions (broken AA's and special effects should be unacceptable), the lowering of food quality & hotel standards, etc.

Can't disagree at all. Disney has to have enough in every park where attractions can go down every year for work (and not for 48 hours). They do this at every Disney resort in the world ... except WDW. They had no problem doing this until about 15 years ago. They created their own disaster by closing attractions, shows, parades, retail and dining venues and then wondering why one park was so damn overcrowded that you could never close anything in it for work and there were so few attractions in the others that closing things was problematic in them as well. That 'tude absolutely needs to change, Neo.

Food quality is an issue more in its inconsistency. QS at DAK and EPCOT is wonderful, for instance. But barely edible at many locations in the other two gates.

As to resorts, I think the pendulum is moving back again ... I toured a few dozen empty new rooms at the Beach Club and they are quite nice (although the workmanship in some areas is of the quality it wouldn't pass muster for an airport Hilton Garden Inn in Oklahoma). @WDWFigment (yes, the dude is still in Tokyo!) did a great blog post on the new rooms at CBR, which truly look upscale (and at the price points that WDW mods now command, that is a must).

So, it's very much a mixed bag. ... But I think your first point on show quality and consistency is something that absolutely needs to be a top priority for management. It isn't now. ... at all.

Last edited:

ThemeParkJunkee

Thank you to those helpful posters (@WDW1974, @marni1971, @PhotoDave219, @Lee etc.) for your clarifications regarding sourcing your material and allowable disclosures. I am pleased that TWDC plans to invest in the swamps heavily at long last. I am tempering my enthusiasm due to the painfully slow progress that plagues the company when it comes to these types of investments.

Amazingly, closures and upcharge events happen quickly and frequently of late and I have had my share of disappointments over the years. After four years, I decided to go back to Orlando in 2014 to see the FLE and (mostly) Diagon Alley. I was underwhelmed by TDO efforts but at least the construction walls all over Fantasyland were gone. They got moved to the Hub I guess. Animal Kingdom was an abysmal maze of construction walls.

I am expecting all new construction walls for the foreseeable future. But, I remain optimistic. I admit to a little "fan-girling" this afternoon when @marni1971 admitted he needed to pick his "jaw off the floor" for a moment. Interesting times we live in...interesting times. Carry on.

andysol

I think they may be looking at much less healthy numbers than you suspect just based on attendance not bottoming out. How many unique, 1 day tickets are sold for DHS vs the other parks? How many hours do guests spend in the park? How much do they spend compared to the other parks?

If only they had a system that tracked guest behavior and gave them all these numbers to compare :)

This is a great point. While we got some good (wifi), and some bad (majority dislike FP+ on this board)- I think we can all agree that Disney absolutely gets invaluable information through their data mining that they couldn't get previously. Purchasing, time spent at certain parks w/ transactions, etc, etc.

That data could have scared the bejeezes out of them regarding DHS and they saw through analytics (something we could have told them years ago) that they needed to do something quick or they were gonna lose substantial $ at DHS.

prfctlyximprct

This is a great point. While we got some good (wifi), and some bad (majority dislike FP+ on this board)- I think we can all agree that Disney absolutely gets invaluable information through their data mining that they couldn't get previously. Purchasing, time spent at certain parks w/ transactions, etc, etc.

That data could have scared the bejeezes out of them regarding DHS and they saw through analytics (something we could have told them years ago) that they needed to do something quick or they were gonna lose substantial $ at DHS.

They must be making bank right now, charging full price for a park with everything closed.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974, do you have any information on whether One Man's Dream will be relocated somewhere else on property or is it being scrapped entirely?

No info ... although strong belief that you won't see it again. They only like to use Walt as a character, like Mickey or Tink or Elsa or Buzz or Darth Vader etc ... to sell things. They really don't want you to know he was a man, a visionary, and someone who very likely wouldn't like a lot of what has happened in his absence. They put the attraction in because they needed something cheap that 'honored' Walt for the 2001-02 marketing celebration they chose instead of a 30th anniversary celebration. It made no sense to close it, so it has remained since. But they need that real estate now.

So, my guess is back to the archives goes most of what's in there.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Realize that with the cheap will also come the pricey. With the off the shelf, will also come the unique.

You have to fill out a park with a wide variety of experiences. The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios is literally lacking in all categories (I could see some arguing its got plenty of thrill with ToT, RnRC and ST, but I have a hard time buying into that one.) ...when this is done, it won't lack in any of them. ... Hopefully!
Meh, despite the park lacking in virtually all aspects, WDSP is positively worse off for Toy Story Playland. It drags down the entire park, attracts the wrong audience, has very intrusive visibility, and downright cheapens the entire park experience. (Ask Angie what she thinks of it!)

Those billions better yield us some amazing stuff to compensate, because as of yet a once great park has been stripped to its bare bones and I can't bear the thought of formerly great areas being demolished for anything remotely resembling TSL.

Last edited:

BrianLo

$4B?!? Where did they come up with that number? Insanity.

I agree, that's a generous number even for a completely new gate. That's probably still enough to build a Tokyo Disney Sea.

The BOD may have gotten close to that number across BOTH Disneyland and WDW with some very generous rounding. However, that's also due to Anaheim receiving a bit more than just a billion flat.

Folks here need to keep the expectations in check that WDW received somewhere approaching 2 billion, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. But it honestly doesn't particularly matter when we are talking those numbers. The longstanding complaint here is that DHS needed more than the DCA makeover to get up to snuff, and from all accounts they approved it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom