Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Magic

I wonder if Disney anticipated this story blowing up in conservative media the way it has, or if this caught them by surprise? I wouldn’t necessarily have expected this to be a big story in right wing media but things have been shifting fast recently. (I think there is a really interesting analysis behind this shift but I gather additional analysis is considered political in this thread, so I’ll leave it at that.)

From here it will be interesting to see if Disney gets more emphatic about their stance or drops the topic and quietly moves on. I’m 50/50 on which way they’ll go.
As I pointed out yesterday before my comment was removed (not sure why?), the Florida legislature is considering repealing the 1967 Act, which created RCID. Here's a tweet posted this morning by a FL House Member:

Like I've said previously, I don't care about politics. I'm a gay man, I'm not a fan of the bill, and I'm certainly not a fan of DeSantis. I am however a realist and I think Disney messed up by wadding really deep into this issue, especially when there's no real benefit for them to get involved.

GimpYancIent

As I pointed out yesterday before my comment was removed (not sure why?), the Florida legislature is considering repealing the 1967 Act, which created RCID. Here's a tweet posted this morning by a FL House Member:

Like I've said previously, I don't care about politics. I'm a gay man, I'm not a fan of the bill, and I'm certainly not a fan of DeSantis. I am however a realist and I think Disney messed up by wadding really deep into this issue, especially when there's no real benefit for them to get involved.

Fair! Honest! To the point!

ImperfectPixie

Once people discovered that they'd financially supported those who brought forth the bill, they didn't really have a choice. They employ far too many people that this bill will have an effect on (not just CMs who are members of the LGBTQ+ community, but the CMs' family members and friends who may be LGBTQ+, too).

dreday3

And then don't the residents of Orange County have to pay the taxes for all these services if it's repealed? To cover the costs of power, waer, roads, fire protection...This act allows Disney to pay for those services. If repealed...who pays?

Figgy1

Premium Member
And then don't the residents of Orange County have to pay the taxes for all these services if it's repealed? To cover the costs of power, waer, roads, fire protection...This act allows Disney to pay for those services. If repealed...who pays?
The land will still be owned by Disney so I can't see anything changing unless the state tries to take over by eminent domain.

ImperfectPixie

Posting without comment/opinion.

Ahhh...perhaps we're finally seeing some of the longer-term "whys" behind this bill. In 2019, some Florida state lawmakers were pushing for the state to apologize to those whose lives were affected by the John's Committee - who are in their 70s now.

ETA: The only thing the woman in the video said that I can't verify is the mention of suicides. I did see one report of an attempted suicide, but nothing more (and I don't have time for a deep-dive search).

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

I find it more funny that they're threatening them with being regulated by Orange County due to "wokeness"

Orange County is one of Florida's brightest blue bubbles.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Ok, I see what you are saying.

Agree to disagree on that point. I actually work in schools, and I promise, it is happening. But it's okay if you don't believe me. After all, we are just strangers on the internet.

What was happening? What specific part was happening?

Not that I don't believe you, but you've been on this board for a month. I've been here for 21 years.

I need more than a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom