Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

Why's the view/concern of the parents so narrowed? Why this topic in particular?

There are ton of social themes that are sensitive and to some parents not up to the school to teach. I've had parents disagreeing we talked about the subject of death. Kinda hard to no do it when a kid in the class died though ...

There are dozens of school controversies in America right now, this one’s just getting a ton of press.

From how much control Texas has over textbooks, to which books should be in libraries, to who should be allowed in female sports, to CRT, to some states not even requiring kids to show proof of knowledge to graduate anyone… there are a lot of bills currently circulating as a result of parents being upset about what is and isn’t being taught right now. This one is just getting press and eyes.

ImperfectPixie

There are dozens of school controversies in America right now, this one’s just getting a ton of press.

From how much control Texas has over textbooks, to which books should be in libraries, to who should be allowed in female sports, to CRT, to some states not even requiring kids to show proof of knowledge to graduate anyone… there are a lot of bills currently circulating as a result of parents being upset about what is and isn’t being taught right now. This one is just getting press and eyes.
Large numbers of parents swarming schools has a history of doing nothing but harming the quality of education our children receive.

Vegas Disney Fan

Large numbers of parents swarming schools has a history of doing nothing but harming the quality of education our children receive.
Which is ironic because that’s been the progressive playbook since the 50s, walkouts, protests, whatever it takes to make noise to further the cause... are you saying getting a group of like minded people together to make change is now a bad thing? Or more likely that it’s a good thing when it’s something you agree with but a bad thing when it’s something you don’t agree with?

Guess all those people in CA outside Disney should shut up and get back to work rather than trying to influence FL schools.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No, I agree, a lot of people dont know how to civilly debate issues, we just saw a video from Yale earlier that perfectly highlights that. We read about teachers being assaulted far too frequently, and it’s coming from both sides.
We also read about teachers verbally assaulting parents and students....teachers taping masks to students faces. Let us not pretend teachers are sitting there being angels. They are people with flaws just like the rest of us.

lazyboy97o

I don't think it's that. I've had a front row seat to what I think the origin of this is.

When schools started mandating masks, a lot of parent groups began to organize on social media to oppose the mandates. As a side effect, they also started paying much closer attention to what was being taught in schools (something I'd argue they should have been doing all along).

As they shared photos/videos/anecdotes of things to which they objected, the general feeling was, Wait a minute. These are our children - these schools should be answering to us. As their voices became louder, school boards & legislatures became involved - at times opposing the parent groups and at times supporting. I believe this bill was born out of that surge in parent participation.
How does this legislation increase the ability of parents to participate in the curriculum development process?

Baloo62

Last time I checked, we are facing insane gas prices, runaway inflation, impending food shortages and stand on the verge of a nuclear World War. I think Disney -and those here - have far far bigger things to be concerned about. Funny how Universal never seems to get involved in all of this political crap... just check their IG. Not a syllable about any of this.

RunningKoen

I think this bill just took on a life of its own for various reasons. But I would actually say sex/gender issues place a distant 3rd in the list of concerns among the parent groups (masking/vaccines being #1, and CRT being #2).
Any social theme is nothing more than the current social standards. And a school is nothing more than a mirror of the reflection.
So the only topics that are currently active are the ones the parents are the busiest with. After all, kids learn by mimicking :) The preferences for what a child can/cannot learn is nothing more than a reflection of the standards parents support or disagree with.

Why sex is so sensitive in general, and at what age it is and isn't right, is something we decide as a whole.
Sex is a big part of any social structure. It's quite natural and in a existential kind of way maybe our only purpose in life. Blame Darwin or God for it, but just like the animals, we need to reproduce. Eternal life hasn't been found yet :)

Before America was America (like, the middle ages kind of stuff), the 13/14 years girls who ' bled' were ready to breed. If there was a TV, the show ' teen mom' would have been boring. Even way more back, during the ancient greek period, there were other standards ('pederasty') (Googling that for images might be a NSFW thing...)

Whatever we think of it, whatever we try, it's not only 'nuture', but there's a lot of 'nature' in it.
Growing up as a kid is nothing else than being prepared for that. Our bodies will do it themselves, without any direction. Some early, some late, but it always happens.

I mentioned before that the there is some kind of ' general divide' that happens slowly between 5/6 till 10/11. It's always linked to prepare the kids for the next phase when the puberty start and where usual the other gender gets attractive (or, maybe your own?) and your own feelings change. And discussing those feelings with the gender you're attracted too? Bah! It can be two totally different tribes, certainly during puberty. Man are from mars, women are from venus starts somewhere. Not at the kindergarten :)

I asked someone else how old the kids were. (@CaptainAmerica )
The kid from 7 will have a totally different standard on interacting with peers/friends regarding physical contact. They grow aware of things. Don't get me wrong: no kid of 7 or 10 is ready to have sex! But the very first steps getting ready for it are starting: to separate the genders. It starts to show: girls play with girls, boys play with boys. (And when this happens, questions towards ones own gender can occur ..)

And not only our own instinct and bodies are doing that. Society does so aswell. From the day they were born till the day to do 'it' themselves. We reflect our current standards, (sub)consciously, and shape the little ones with that. A little one has no idea what 'sex' is, but has so of examples of gender, gender roles/expectations, and (sexual) relations between adults all around it in it's environment. They will observe and wonder, not knowing where any line is yet. Any line of what is and isn't okay is set by us. The feeling that sex is an adult subject is something we teach them as society, but not the truth.

Banning any or all subject like that is impossible. As long as the small or big subjects around the theme of sex are a part of our society, it will finds it's way into a school. They should be guided and framed and handled with care. Dont get me wrong: not totally free nor totally banned.

Nordic4tKnight

Last time I checked, we are facing insane gas prices, runaway inflation, impending food shortages and stand on the verge of a nuclear World War. I think Disney -and those here - have far far bigger things to be concerned about. Funny how Universal never seems to get involved in all of this political crap... just check their IG. Not a syllable about any of this.
Because everyone already hates Comcast

Figgy1

Premium Member
Universal doesn't get anywhere near the scrutiny, as far as I know nobody tracked down their donations and called them out.
Also what @Nordic4tKnight said

Californian Elitist

The Universal CEO also didn't make a statement to their employees basically saying that they supported them, but they also don't at the same time.

I would guess that we wouldn't be talking about this here at Chapek refrained from doing what he did.

Sir_Cliff

This is not a fringe issue. The Walt Disney Company has aligned itself squarely in opposition to the mainstream.

View attachment 628231
What those graphics show is that it's basically a 50/50 issue, perhaps with a majority of 1-2% on the side of some purported aims of the Florida legislation. From Disney's point of view, you could argue in favour of going with the (slim) majority from a commercial standpoint. I think that calculation changes, however, if the feeling within the company by the people they are depending on to make their films, tv shows, and theme park attractions heavily tilts in the other direction. Maybe they can find a bunch of conservative Floridians to make content for Disney+, but I suspect they don't feel there is an untapped well that will replace their current creative workforce.

As for them taking a stance at all, that comes down to the terrible mishandling of the issue on the first place which left them being unable to not take a stand.

You just said the quiet part out loud. The faux outrage from Disney employees isn't about this legislation, it's a temper tantrum because they don't want to relocate.
I think that is very insensitive. It can be both things, and I also don't think it is unreasonable for people to be upset about being asked by their company to move across the country or lose their job. Disney has been presenting itself as progressive and diverse then asking employees to move to a state with aggressively socially conservative politics so it can save money on its tax bill. That is also rather hypocritical and deserves to be called out by those who are annoyed.

Last edited:

RunningKoen

Universal doesn't get anywhere near the scrutiny, as far as I know nobody tracked down their donations and called them out.
Also what @Nordic4tKnight said

Haven't followed it in detail on how ' pro gay' Universal is, but I havent noticed a lot.

The level of scrutiny is often linked to how the company presents itself towards the subject.

Not sure what the correct term is, but isnt it Pinkwashing?

Disney likes to be pro gay when it's relevant for them and they can earn with some nice merch or events ' supporting the gays'.
The current backlash is because the community is missing the support from Disney when actual needed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes. I already offered the same links. But someone wants me to discuss a specific amendment, they should put up or shut up. I'm told it was offered by Senator Brandes. Fine. Show me the language then we'll have something to discuss.
You were shown the submitted amendment - at this point it's on your comprehension skills.

And shame on you for responding to the discussion of child suicide with a laughing emoticon.

BuddyThomas

As I've said, we're having three different debates in parallel.

1. Do parents have any kind of legitimate beef here?

2. Is this bill effective in achieving #1?

3. What does any of this have to do with The Walt Disney Company?

...to which I say... yes, no, and not a damn thing.
How does it not have anything to do with the Walt Disney Company when there are walkouts throughout the Walt Disney Company today in large part due to Disney’s contributions to politicians who voted for this bill as well as Disney’s subsequent response? That and the fact that if you Google Disney plus the bill, about 17 bazillion news stories come up.

RunningKoen

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I didn't know all those details.

Sorry, but so glad I'm not living in the US if that's the situation. Parents shouldn't mingle into the job of a school too much. It's a job like all others and teacher are professionals who studied for that (yeah, so weird. Like all other jobs, who knew?!)
Just because it involves your kids doesn't grant you a full say or actual expertise. You go to a doctor when the kid is sick and let the doctor do the job aswell, right? Hairdressers? etc. etc. etc.

But then again, COVID created so many virusexperts, so many new medical insights and whatever.
Maybe people don't have a general respect for other's job/expertise anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom