Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

peter11435

:banghead:

I understand that it was technically backstage, but I disagree with purging the parks of the small things that made them special. What REALLY should have happened is they should have moved it to somewhere onstage so more people could enjoy it without becoming "urban explorers". Disney used to have all kinds of small details, such as this, and the Mickey face in the MGM hub, but those types of things have been slowly disappearing for a while now, along with more notable icons such as beloved attractions.
It was backstage plain and simple. There are several other threads around the forum at this very moment that illustrate why the company can not encourage guests to go backstage. Tensions are high in that regard. I agree it could have been moved. But that doesn’t mean the company didn’t have a valid reason to remove it.

There are still tons of those little details all over the place.

trainplane3

It was backstage plain and simple. There are several other threads around the forum at this very moment that illustrate why the company can not encourage guests to go backstage. Tensions are high in that regard. I agree it could have been moved. But that doesn’t mean the company didn’t have a valid reason to remove it.

There are still tons of those little details all over the place.
The good thing is that it was simply something written in wet concrete. It's not like it can't be replicated. You just need a stick, a 2ft x 6"-ish patch of wet concrete, and whatever the curing time is.

Can't be mad at them removing it though, especially now with everything that's been happening.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
It would be cool if Disney+ had every single Disney movie ever made, including controversial ones, lost footage (if it’s found but being kept hidden from the public), old attraction preshows, retired attraction films, every single Disney TV show and special, EVERYTHING...................
:D

That would be awesome! With my luck though, they would make everything available from just after Dumbo's Circus went off the air (which is the show I always looked forward to watching during the Disney Channel free preview days when I was a kid).

PorterRedkey

Was the stage always there? And if so, what performances did they have on it before the characters invaded Epcot?
I don't believe the character stage show started until the late '80s. It was definitely there when I worked there in 1991 (so annoying) and I think it fizzled out a little while before the Odessey was closed in 1994 (IIRC).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It would be cool if Disney+ had every single Disney movie ever made, including controversial ones, lost footage (if it’s found but being kept hidden from the public), old attraction preshows, retired attraction films, every single Disney TV show and special, EVERYTHING...................
:D

They have to withhold and rotate content, otherwise it will get stale quickly.

Back to the character show topic - Looking at a video from 1989, the costumes used are the rainbow-space-suit ones. A former CM interview on LostEpcot indicates it didn't start until at least 1986. I'd have to dig around more to see if I can find something more definitive.

trainplane3

Last thing I'll post on the Figment concrete removal:
Ron.PNG

Again, sad but understandable.

trainplane3

Imagine if they’d moved the backstage gate back six foot instead.
Oh that popped into my head. Heck, move the front half of the gate back and flip it (if that makes sense, since it was a zigzag gate). Problem solved. What was once backstage is now on stage.

Watch now as this causes people to go searching for "the remains" of it and make this change have no effect.

trainplane3

Wonder how much Google spent on this ride at the Consumer Electronics Show... and how easily something like this could have gone into Communicore/Innoventions... especially a plussed version.

There's a full 360 version straight from Google as well.

It's a super charming...ad...ride. But the thing is, I don't really care. For being a 3 1/2 minute long ad, it was very well done. It feels Epcot-y honestly. It even has a purely original song that's super catchy!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

It's a super charming...ad...ride. But the thing is, I don't really care. For being a 3 1/2 minute long ad, it was very well done. It feels Epcot-y honestly. It even has a purely original song that's super catchy!

It kept reminding me of "You're Welcome" from Moana. I wonder who did the voice for this ride.

aladdin2007

the ride looks better than the current state of Imagination honestly, wake up Disney.

jensenrick

In case people still don’t believe that the average theme park guest (not the fanboys, the average guest) wants as much Disney movie presence in Epcot as possible... here is a Disney College Program Facebook group page I’m in. For a small example.

View attachment 337683View attachment 337684

Add a Ralph and Vanellope M&G at the end, and I'm sold!

I mean, TT done up to look like Sugar Rush? I can't help but think that would look so cool! And probably smell delicous.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom