Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Rutt

I believe part of the issue is that people have become used to "good" decisions, rather than the completely well thought out, long term and inspirational decisions that were once allowed to be made on a more consistent basis.
Society as a whole has become 'what about me, what about now'. The future is not their problem. Disney is no exception (sadly).

Animaniac93-98

To add, the Grand Floridian always felt like a simple, sort of boxy house shape and they still messed it up by making the DVC building a literal box with some points on top. And the worse side (mainly) facing the lagoon. By building the DVC building, it hit me with how much more detail was put into the original building.
grandfloridian_bothresorts2013ww.jpg

It's very obvious which one is the original building and which was the addition.
Source: http://www.yesterland.com/grandfloridian.html

The new building looks out of scale and more like Grand Beach by Diamond just outside of WDW than Grand Floridian.

394921584_640.jpg

Kman101

Which deluxe resorts are we talking about?
If I had more info I may agree with you

The towers they're putting up. The ones they've put up. Grand Floridian. BLT. Both aren't terrible but could have been done better in certain ways. The Riviera isn't exactly much different than another name brand hotel, at least from concept art.

They haven't instilled a lot of confidence.

I understand the confusion on why the outrage but you know they've made some mistakes. I'm basing it on a history of not trusting their decisions. If they show me a good design I'm not entirely against it. I know others are dead set against it no matter what. I'm not one to try and jump the gun with the sky is falling but and maybe I can't explain it that well but when I hear the idea, in my gut, I feel it's a mistake. Best I can explain it.

We'll have to wait and see what they come up with. I agree with you judgement is hard to pass when we know nothing but I have a bad feeling. Which I know isn't based on seeing anything related to this specific hotel but just how I feel.

Kman101

The new building looks out of scale and more like Grand Beach by Diamond just outside of WDW than Grand Floridian.

394921584_640.jpg

Yep. Maybe splitting hairs to some but do it RIGHT. Match it exactly to what's there. Why is it so hard?

I'm actually a bit shocked some people think they'll do the hotel "right" in front of Epcot. I'd love Disney to shut me up and prove me wrong but they won't. In terms of hotels (and a few other things) I don't have confidence in them.

disneyC97

The Grand Floridian villa building looks fine from the monorail coming from the Polynesian and generally from guest areas between buildings. It’s the lakeside views shown above that are clunky.
Some trees/tall palms along the non windows areas would go along way to soften the view.

lazyboy97o

The Grand Floridian villa building looks fine from the monorail coming from the Polynesian and generally from guest areas between buildings. It’s the lakeside views shown above that are clunky.
Some trees/tall palms along the non windows areas would go along way to soften the view.
The problem isn’t just lack of ornaments on some walls. In fact, Disney’s problem of late is that they are just sticking on ornament to otherwise generic hotel boxes. The hotels are not being shaped by their context.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here's one of the arrogant comments we were talking about.

I think y'all don't want to block the view of the Golf Ball from the parking lot? (Is that the big gripe?) That's just not a big deal AT ALL. It would be more impressive, frankly, to have it revealed as you are walking in - like at the MK.
Obviously it’s not a big deal to you or you wouldn’t have said so. It’s a big deal to others. Which makes your opinion neither more or less valid than theirs.

To say "(Is that the big gripe?) That's just not a big deal AT ALL." is arrogant.

Last edited:

trainplane3

Yep. Maybe splitting hairs to some but do it RIGHT. Match it exactly to what's there. Why is it so hard?

I'm actually a bit shocked some people think they'll do the hotel "right" in front of Epcot. I'd love Disney to shut me up and prove me wrong but they won't. In terms of hotels (and a few other things) I don't have confidence in them.
I know it's "old", but I've always felt they got the Wilderness Lodge DVC wing right. They got all the extra bits on the roof, kept it at the same or lesser height, and blended it into the trees around it. If the roof wasn't red, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The cabins were a nice recent addition, but I feel there are too many. But then again, if there's a demand... Poly's bungalows go pretty well with the Pacific island theme, personally.

I'm glad we're coming out of stagnant mode now at the very least. Major additions are happening after what, a decade of next to nothing major aside from NFL?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Absolutely it wasn’t. I’m sorry if it seemed it. It’s possibly more frustration.

Thankfully the project seems to be offset from the central area.
Honestly if they did it in a way that evoked the idea of 'city of the future' akin to Walt's E.P.C.O.T. concept, and did it in a way that complimented SSE rather than obstructed it, I'd be 100% on board with an entrance-area hotel, and even excited about it.

Problem is I have 0% confidence that they'd do that right, given recent history as @Kman101 said.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To add, the Grand Floridian always felt like a simple, sort of boxy house shape and they still messed it up by making the DVC building a literal box with some points on top. And the worse side (mainly) facing the lagoon. By building the DVC building, it hit me with how much more detail was put into the original building.
grandfloridian_bothresorts2013ww.jpg

It's very obvious which one is the original building and which was the addition.
Source: http://www.yesterland.com/grandfloridian.html

DVC buildings are very basic and lack architectural details. The 90’s versions had some charm...but starting with wilderness and beach club they kinda gave up. Kids I probably is the best since...but that was a unique scenario.

I have little doubt that the Caribbean bon boni villas will be a box with a sign out front. It is what it is.

twebber55

Every DVC since boardwalk with maybe the exception of kidani?

Contemporary too...but it’s geometric and bland as the orginal one is...so that’s the “theme”
All those are additions to existing hotels except Saratoga Springs so I don't see the connection
Now if disney builds this hotel and then shoehorns a dvc section then I'm right there with you

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
when someone has an opinion and it gets dismissed as "you just dont get it" it comes across smug and incredibly arrogant. how about we wait and see where they re gonna put it and what its gonna look like before we condemn it
Absolutely. Who do we think we are?? ...we're like some crazed fan that revolted when the Stones went disco... but we're still listening to "Miss You," aren't we? No matter how many times you've visited the park, or how much you might obsess over all things Disney - The Mouse will do what The Mouse wants. Whether we "trust them" or not (LOL), most of the time they make good decisions - resulting in all of our hanging out on a message board to discuss this splendid place called Disney World, and returning to WDW over and over to give them our hard earned money.

Well this is interesting...

But it’s just wheel spinning. The PCQ on this one is around 92.465% - so it’s not worth getting charged up about.

And I don’t trust them to invest what’s really needed anymore either. The management philosophy doesn’t match.

Believe it or not - even evil Mikey went overboard and blew budgets quite often on hotels to do what they felt was the best look/quality. Grand Floridian being one...wilderness and dak lodge being others. I don’t see that ever returning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom