Boardwalk-Just to walk around?

mandib

We have always stayed off-site since we rent houses. I've been looking for new things to do this coming trip (November) and was thinking about going to Boardwalk. Is there stuff to do there? It seems like a cute place to go have dinner and take a walk. Am I right? When do you think is the best time to go there? Does anyone have any pictures of it? Thanks :)

EpcotGrl

I freely admit that I'm biased because I love Love LOVE The Boardwalk. It is exactly what you've said--a great place to get a bite and take a walk. Spoodles or The Flying Fish are good restaurants...Jelly Rolls is fun as heck... and you can walk around taking in the sights, rent a surrey bike, or go from Epcot to MGM and back. Very relaxing and still Disney without horrific crowds :)

Have I mentioned that I love The Boardwalk? ;)

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I love the entire Epcot Resort area (including the usually forgotten and disconnected Caribbean Beach). Anyway, the area is beautiful and is best to go in the evening and nights. Big band music, strolling entertainers, and a great ambiance.

Be sure to walk around the entire lake, and explore the Resorts, their grounds, lobbies, and restaurants. You will find a lot that you will enjoy. It's a really great place.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

surfsupdon said:
I love the entire Epcot Resort area (including the usually forgotten and disconnected Caribbean Beach). Anyway, the area is beautiful and is best to go in the evening and nights. Big band music, strolling entertainers, and a great ambiance.

Be sure to walk around the entire lake, and explore the Resorts, their grounds, lobbies, and restaurants. You will find a lot that you will enjoy. It's a really great place.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Take the time to wander around, its a great way to relax.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

So you do you think the easiest way besides driving yourself is to take a bus from your resort to a park then take Boardwalk transportation? We have a two year old with us and I do want to go on a reasonable route that will save time. What do you guys think? I want to visit Boardwalk so we can decide if we want to stay there in the future.

Upvote 0

SpectroMan

Ringo8n24 said:
So you do you think the easiest way besides driving yourself is to take a bus from your resort to a park then take Boardwalk transportation? We have a two year old with us and I do want to go on a reasonable route that will save time. What do you guys think? I want to visit Boardwalk so we can decide if we want to stay there in the future.

Or if you decide to go while you are in World Showcase.

Upvote 0

Brian_B

Speaking of which, I went to said boardwalk while there last trip (april) and even though it was undeniably a neat place to eat and take a walk, I couldn't help but laugh, being from NJ - as a boardwalk, disney's place fell a tad short of my expectations. Not to knock it or anything. :D

I'm used to like 20 or so arcades, the smell of every fried food known to man, the endless stream of spinner wheel games, and (of course) the ride piers, all lined up on a boardwalk 10 city blocks long, with the soft rhymic crash of the ocean right there...

...I love disney world, but there are some things on this planet that are as endearing to me.

Man, how off topic! :lol:

-Brian

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I'm from the NJ Shore as well, and I prefer Disney's BoardWalk anyday. And besides, it's like a turn of the century boardwalk down and around Atlantic City. It isn't like current Seaside Heights, lol, thank God!!

And as for the transportation question, I would take a bus to MGM, and then transfer to the boat dock which is located right next dooor to the busses, almost at the base of the ToT. In the evening, the boat ride up the "river" to the BoardWalk, past the Villlas, is remarkably calm and peaceful. And then get off at any Resort you like, and start walking and exploring. :D

Upvote 0

venooch333

I have stayed at Boardwalk 3 times, and it's an EXCELLENT place to stay!! :sohappy: It's close to everything, has many places to eat and you never get tired of the decor :D :king:

Upvote 0

dvm

Arcade?

so is there an arcade on the boardwalk after all?

I too have spent many days at the NJ and DE boardwalks, and I can't imagine a boardwalk without an arcade full of pinball and other video games.

Hope there is, since we are Yacht club bound in 4 days!!!

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

dvm said:
so is there an arcade on the boardwalk after all?

I too have spent many days at the NJ and DE boardwalks, and I can't imagine a boardwalk without an arcade full of pinball and other video games.

Hope there is, since we are Yacht club bound in 4 days!!!

Both the Yacht Club and BoardWalk have arcade games, yet not as many pinball games as you would think or hope for. They are a dying breed. Sad.
(For example, when I was real young, a complete wall in Caribbean Beach's arcade was devoted to pinball, about 8 or 9 machines, i ahve the pictures. Now you go and they have one, surrounded by shoot em style games, and large "rideable games," like skiing and jetskiiing.)

Upvote 0

Kadee

We've been to the Boardwalk just to walk around and loved it. We've never stayed but are going to for our next trip. We ate at ESPN Club (I HAD to let my hubby chose SOMETHING, didn't I?) and it was very nice, especially for sports nuts. It is very beautiful there. We just walked over from Epcot's WS. Very very short and nice walk.

Upvote 0

ILOVEDISNEY

Brian_B said:
Speaking of which, I went to said boardwalk while there last trip (april) and even though it was undeniably a neat place to eat and take a walk, I couldn't help but laugh, being from NJ - as a boardwalk, disney's place fell a tad short of my expectations. Not to knock it or anything. :D

I'm used to like 20 or so arcades, the smell of every fried food known to man, the endless stream of spinner wheel games, and (of course) the ride piers, all lined up on a boardwalk 10 city blocks long, with the soft rhymic crash of the ocean right there...

...I love disney world, but there are some things on this planet that are as endearing to me.

Man, how off topic! :lol:

-Brian

Let's not forget the seagulls flying every which way and making deposits everywhere, rollerbladers, tatoo parlors, fortune tellers, saltwater taffy, pickpockets, winos, hookers, and the smell of dead fish. Very romantic.

Upvote 0

Brian_B

ILOVEDISNEY said:
Let's not forget the seagulls flying every which way and making deposits everywhere, rollerbladers, tatoo parlors, fortune tellers, saltwater taffy, pickpockets, winos, hookers, and the smell of dead fish. Very romantic.

And I wouldn't have it any other way!

Actually, I never saw any hookers there before - and rollerblades are prohibited by the many police officers there on duty 24/7, so that rules out many criminals you seem to have encountered. Personally when I go I see many of the following:
1. large families with a lot of screaming kids
2. pre-18 year olds with too much energy and no outlet for it

Also, I don't normally associate saltwater taffy with seagull ________, hookers or winos. Salt water taffy's pretty awesome, actually. And there's no dead fish smell, so you might want to check under your shoes or something if you noticed a peculiar odor of some sort.

Have you ever actually been to either wildwood, seaside heights, or jenkinsons?

I guess the point is that disney world is superb, but to an extent. I also like to visit the real world equivalents of disney's recreated places from time to time. And there's no doubting the influence that places like Atlantic City and seaside heights have had over the design of Disney's boardwalk.

Ps. Sorry to everyone else about the off-topic nature of this post.

-Brian

Upvote 0

ILOVEDISNEY

Brian_B said:
And I wouldn't have it any other way!

Actually, I never saw any hookers there before - and rollerblades are prohibited by the many police officers there on duty 24/7, so that rules out many criminals you seem to have encountered. Personally when I go I see many of the following:
1. large families with a lot of screaming kids
2. pre-18 year olds with too much energy and no outlet for it

Also, I don't normally associate saltwater taffy with seagull ________, hookers or winos. Salt water taffy's pretty awesome, actually. And there's no dead fish smell, so you might want to check under your shoes or something if you noticed a peculiar odor of some sort.

Have you ever actually been to either wildwood, seaside heights, or jenkinsons?

I guess the point is that disney world is superb, but to an extent. I also like to visit the real world equivalents of disney's recreated places from time to time. And there's no doubting the influence that places like Atlantic City and seaside heights have had over the design of Disney's boardwalk.

Ps. Sorry to everyone else about the off-topic nature of this post.

-Brian

Haven't been to AC Boardwalk since 1957. I was not impressed then. My recollections come from composites of "boardwalks" and "piers" from coast-to-coast in my travels since 1955--good and bad. I did not intend for you to think I was just talking about AC. Sorry if you took offense. :wave: While I know WDW Boardwalk is not the real thing, I still love it.

Upvote 0

cm1988

Ringo8n24 said:
Didn't think of that because when I am at Epcot, my mind is so focused on being there. That is a great thought, though. We may try it once. :)
If you're on a second day to Epcot, have been to all of the E-tickets there, a midday walk out to the Boardwalk makes a great change of pace. Maybe consider having a burger at Beaches and Cream, or a more balanced lunch at the Yacht Club. You won't have the ambience and theming of a World Showcase restaurant... but it is a more quiet, slower-paced environment. Maybe just the thing for the youngster in your party.

Upvote 0

Pippa

I always think that the Boardwalk is WDWs best kept secret, its right by MGM and Epcot but really quiet and crowd free in the daytime and cool fun at night but without the madness. Try a chilli cheese dog from the vendors too :wave:

Upvote 0

the-reason14

The thing I like the most out of the boardwalk is that it seems like it draws the same audience as the theme parks. The family. While at DTD, it looks like it draws more out of control teens at least during the night. But I love both, I really love DTD and the Marketplace the most, love the Once upon a toy store, and I love the whole waterfront atmosphere of the marketplace. I think its better than the west side. It seems more families go to the marketplace than the west side. I noticed this past trip that DTD had a number of different kinds of strange ppls. Teens who were acting a little bit out of control, but I think thats good that WDW draws such a diverse audience.

But, the Boardwalk is a fantastic place, I love the entertainers they have at night, and the people zooming by on those little bike trolly things, and I love waving at them esp. if they look like they're not having that much fun.

But I really like to see the family audience having fun, esp those who get real excited about going around WDW and seeing all there is to see.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom