Boarding tickets on cell phones

dvitali

Original Poster
Last week I got by boarding tickets from Amtrak on my Iphone as PDF to go to NYC, and I wonder if the airlines are using this tech yet instead of printing out your boarding tickets. Going to Disney in December on Jetblue while I will have a printed copy of my trip, having one less piece of paper in my pocket and a copy on my cell phone instead of finding a printer at disney for my return flight will saving me worry when i get to the airport.

luv

Yes, they are. I don't know which companies offer it, but people are absolutely doing this in airports.

DisneyPhD

We've flown Delta twice this year using boarding passes on our iPhones and iPod Touch devices. There were scanners at the TSA security entrance and at the gate. We would hold the device face down above the scanner with the QR code on the screen. It worked great.

YoungNY

This technology is not nation wide yet. It depends on the airport. The airline may allow it, but TSA may not. Last time I went to MCO in June, they were still using paper tickets. I'd say the safe bet is to have the paper tickets just in case.

MorganKelly

USAirways is using it, although I think it might depend on the airports involved. One less piece of paper to keep track of works for me!

maryszhi

Last week I got by boarding tickets from Amtrak on my Iphone as PDF to go to NYC, and I wonder if the airlines are using this tech yet instead of printing out your boarding tickets. Going to Disney in December on Jetblue while I will have a printed copy of my trip, having one less piece of paper in my pocket and a copy on my cell phone instead of finding a printer at disney for my return flight will saving me worry when i get to the airport.
i do it all the time with united and american. its quite easy if your airline is participating.

bill bailey

I saw this at BWI last month. I don't use this myself, but only noticed it because there were signs when you reached the security check in area that cell phone boarding passes was not working, please return to your ticket counter to get a paper boarding pass. Might be worth checking out before waiting in line only to have to go back.

donsullivan

Premium Member
This technology is not nation wide yet. It depends on the airport. The airline may allow it, but TSA may not. Last time I went to MCO in June, they were still using paper tickets. I'd say the safe bet is to have the paper tickets just in case.

In my experience it's not tied to the airport but the airline. I live in Orlando and travel a great deal for work through that airport and have been using electronic boarding passes exclusively on Delta for multiple years now. I have not encountered an airport that Delta flies to that was not equipped with the scanners at both the gates and all TSA stations servicing that airline. I used them for a Delta flight out of Orlando and connecting through Atlanta just this morning. If your airline supports electronic boarding passes, you'll find that the TSA checkpoints are equipped with the scanner needed to read the electronic boarding pass. I'm sure there are some exceptions out there but I've not run into one in my travels using them for the last 2+ years at airports all over the country

Availability is going to depend on your airline, more than it is the airport. If the section of MCO you normally go through does not service airlines that use electronic boarding passes you might not see the scanners since there would be no need for them at that location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom