Pre-Trip BLT?! & a side of summer? Yes, Please!

BLT?! & a side of summer? Yes, Please!

A trip! A trip!!! We’re going to Disney!!

52BA54EA-9E77-4925-B49D-7DE0F0CEC814.jpeg

SB and I on our June 2019 trip!

Hello! I’m back! And, I have LOVED reading all of your trip reports through 2020. It has helped with the Disney withdrawal immensely. Soon, it’ll be my turn again! Here we go!!

When: June 16-22, 2021

Where: This is the most exciting...Bay Lake Tower in a 1-bedroom villa. 🤗🤗🤗

(While we have stayed at both the Boardwalk and WL before, this will be our first deluxe stay in a WHILE and our first villa stay ever! We are very excited. Any tips are much appreciated!)

Who: Me, my Dad (R), my sister (SB), and her soon-to-be husband (IZ).

(A little background, my mom recently passed away in August from Ovarian Cancer. She fought VERY hard and very long, for 13 years. It has been a very, very hard year. Needless to say, we are looking forward to a little escape from reality and a much needed break at the most magical place on Earth.)

More plans to come later! 💚

MickeyCB

Very sorry hearing about your mom and yes you all deserve a nice vacation.
We've stayed in the 1 bedrooms at BLT and love them. A little less themed than some resorts but can not beat the location and size.

fizzieee

So so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope you guys have a wonderful time on your trip and enjoy that much deserved break.

ToInfinity

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about your mom's passing. I hope you have a fun time, I hope to be there near that time too.
Thank you. We really enjoy going in June, even though it’s hot!

Very sorry hearing about your mom and yes you all deserve a nice vacation.
We've stayed in the 1 bedrooms at BLT and love them. A little less themed than some resorts but can not beat the location and size.
Thank you. We can’t wait! I have watched so many videos about it 😅

Please accept my condolences. I hope your family has a wonderful vacation❣️
Thank you so much!

So so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope you guys have a wonderful time on your trip and enjoy that much deserved break.
Thank you very much. We are looking forward to it!

So sorry to hear about your loss, I know firsthand how hard it is. Looking forward to your upcoming adventures.
Thank you. It has been so difficult. She was the definitely the center of our family.

Some of my favorite Disney memories are when I went with my mom. I hope you have a fabulous trip!
Yes, we have made many, many trips with her over the years, even once it got to where we pushed her in a wheelchair. Disney is our happy place!

ToInfinity

Original Poster
I appreciate all of your kind words so!

Now, more about our lodging choice! Initially, we assumed we would probably do 2 rooms at a moderate resort. My sister and her fiancé are getting married in May, so we knew they would want their own space. That would put them in a room, and my dad and I in a room with 2 queens somewhere. We have done some moderates before, like CB and Riverside, some deluxe, like WL and Boardwalk, and really stayed mostly value in recent years, but we really wanted this trip to feel different.

I knew about the deluxe villas but didn’t really know about the bed and bathroom situation. So, I researched! A lot. It came down to either Kidani, or BLT for us due to the beds and bathrooms in their 1-bedrooms. I ran it by the rest of the family, and my sister wanted Kidani. She’s wanted to stay there since we were kids. My dad however, really wasn’t a big fan for some reason. He really wanted to do BLT. We saw a video on YouTube, and it won him over. Well, that is the kind of place I never thought I’d get to stay at since we aren’t DVC, so I wasn’t going to turn that down!! Plus, location, location, location!!!

Despite going to Disney yearly and 3 times in 2019, we have never had AP’s (YEAH, should have gotten them in 2019 😅) so I’m always looking for good room deals. I heard about the deals they were releasing on 1/5, so I logged on at 6:00 am and booked! The rest is history. 😎

ToInfinity

Original Poster
So thinking about Bay Lake Tower... we are in a 1-bedroom Standard View. I have heard that some of the standard views are better than others, and some even face MK. We are not first floor people, and like the views that come with being a little higher up.

So question, how would we go about trying to have one of the “better” standard view rooms? Are they taking requests now like they used to? If so, what should we request? The view is not TOO important (obviously, since we booked standard) however we would still like to try and get the best we can get!

Also, a couple more general questions about Bay Lake...

Are the washer and dryers like the others at Disney? Do they need pods or what? (Not that we plan on doing a ton of laundry ;))

In the event that there are fireworks by June and our room doesn’t face MK at all, where in the building would be best to watch them?

Also, best spot to see EWP from the resort?

Sorry for all the questions! I just know some of you are professionals when it comes to MK resorts and I want to learn from the best! 😃

RememberWhen

So sorry to hear about your mom. Im glad you and your family are able to plan a nice trip! You’re going to love the convenience of walking to MK from BLT. We haven’t stayed there in a few years (thinking back it’s probably going on 7 years...) so my memory is a bit shaky in all of the details, but I’ll try to help out as best I can.

For views, check out touring plans. (You might need a paid account for this, but it’s not a lot and I find their site has a lot of great information). They have a section where you can see the view from various rooms. It lets you input “standard view” and you will only see rooms designated as that category. Some of the standard rooms really have bad views, but some are not bad at all. I’m not sure on the best way to make the request. I think TP has a request feature, but we’ve never tried it.

The washer and dryer in the villas are usually a stacked unit in a closet. They usually leave 1-2 boxes of detergent, so if you won’t really do laundry you can just use those. Or we bring some in a baggie as the kids have sensitive skin

For fireworks you can watch from the walkway between the Contemporary Tower and BLT or the viewing platform at the Contemporary. They do get crowded, so it might be worth staying out a spot early. I’m assuming you aren’t DVC and don’t have access to the Top of the World Lounge. If I’m wrong, that’s a great spot.

I’m not sure about the EWP. I assume you can watch it from anywhere along the water, but someone else should have better info.

MickeyCB

I don't know about standard views, but we usually get lake view. And in the past (don't know if it still holds), but if you make your 2 requests "a high floor" and "a north facing view", sometimes you are angled and facing the lake and MK is off to your left.
Blurry example from 2014.
MK to left, and lake would be facing you with your back to the balcony doors.
IMG_2062.JPG

And I don't think you can see the electrical water parade from the north side.

This is a view from the other side of BLT, 2013, considered lake view, facing the marina and the Contemporary. This is probably the 5th or 6th floor. And yes, you can hear and see (or used to be able to) the night show verryy loudly from this side! 🤣
Sorry about the feet, I was showing off my "princess pink" toenail polish that I use once every 10 years!
IMG_6809.JPG

ToInfinity

Original Poster
For views, check out touring plans. (You might need a paid account for this, but it’s not a lot and I find their site has a lot of great information). They have a section where you can see the view from various rooms. It lets you input “standard view” and you will only see rooms designated as that category.

They usually leave 1-2 boxes of detergent, so if you won’t really do laundry you can just use those

For fireworks you can watch from the walkway between the Contemporary Tower and BLT or the viewing platform at the Contemporary

Thank you so much for this great info! This is very helpful. I will definitely check out Touring Plans! I looks on there a bit yesterday, and it seems like there are very few “standard view” rooms in the first place at BLT. We are not DVC so Top of the World isn’t an option, but the walkway sounds like what we would try if there are fireworks! Fingers crossed. 🤞

ToInfinity

Original Poster
but if you make your 2 requests "a high floor" and "a north facing view", sometimes you are angled and facing the lake and MK is off to your left.

This is a view from the other side of BLT, 2013, considered lake view, facing the marina and the Contemporary. This is probably the 5th or 6th floor. And yes, you can hear and see (or used to be able to) the night show verryy loudly from this side! 🤣
Sorry about the feet, I was showing off my "princess pink" toenail polish that I use once every 10 years!

Thank you!! That sounds like exactly what we would want it request, if it is still similar.
The fifth or sixth floor would be ideal for us.

LOL about the night show. Yeah, we just will want to see it from somewhere, not necessarily from the room! Although, it would probably be cool the *first* few nights ;)

ToInfinity

Original Poster
I tried my best to get some good dining at 60 days out, and even logged right when it opened in the AM. I don’t think I did too bad. Some of the times aren’t ideal, but we are just excited to have any of the ones we wanted!

Here is the tentative schedule:

Wed. June 16
Arrive & lunch at Contempo Cafe. Hoping for early check-in, but not sure if that is likely in the villas. 🤞🏼

Wander around the Boardwalk. I know many things still aren’t open, but we like the atmosphere.

Mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens. We haven’t ever done this, but my dad was interested in the course there that resembles a real golf course.

Dinner at either... Ale & Compass or The Wave. Currently, I have both reservations because we can’t decide!

Thurs. June 17
MK Park Day!

Late lunch at BoG. We loved the QS but are looking forward to trying the prix fixe situation.

Also have dinner reservation at Skipper Canteen, but may cancel and just do QS.

Fri. June 18
HS Park Day

Late lunch at 50’s Primetime. We LOVE this place! So excited to get this one.

Sat. June 19
MK Park Day/Resort Day

Dinner at Whispering Canyon.

Sun. June 20
AK Park Day

No reservations for this day, currently. We may end up at DS for dinner?

Mon. June 21
Epcot Park Day

Breakfast at Chef Mickey’s.

Dinner at Beaches & Cream (couldn’t believe I got this one!)

Tues. June 22
Travel Home

slipperalwaysfits

I’m back! We are less than 30 days away! We have had a BUSY spring. SB & IZ are now married! Their wedding was absolutely beautiful.
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope this trip is magical for all of you and provides some wonderful memories! Your dining reservations look fantastic! I'm looking forward to reading all about it!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I tried my best to get some good dining at 60 days out, and even logged right when it opened in the AM. I don’t think I did too bad. Some of the times aren’t ideal, but we are just excited to have any of the ones we wanted!

Here is the tentative schedule:

Wed. June 16
Arrive & lunch at Contempo Cafe. Hoping for early check-in, but not sure if that is likely in the villas. 🤞🏼

Wander around the Boardwalk. I know many things still aren’t open, but we like the atmosphere.

Mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens. We haven’t ever done this, but my dad was interested in the course there that resembles a real golf course.

Dinner at either... Ale & Compass or The Wave. Currently, I have both reservations because we can’t decide!

Thurs. June 17
MK Park Day!

Late lunch at BoG. We loved the QS but are looking forward to trying the prix fixe situation.

Also have dinner reservation at Skipper Canteen, but may cancel and just do QS.

Fri. June 18
HS Park Day

Late lunch at 50’s Primetime. We LOVE this place! So excited to get this one.

Sat. June 19
MK Park Day/Resort Day

Dinner at Whispering Canyon.

Sun. June 20
AK Park Day

No reservations for this day, currently. We may end up at DS for dinner?

Mon. June 21
Epcot Park Day

Breakfast at Chef Mickey’s.

Dinner at Beaches & Cream (couldn’t believe I got this one!)

Tues. June 22
Travel Home
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Eff Cancer it sucks.

Hopefully this trip will provide some respite from the heartache your family has been dealing with.

You got a good plan laid out so you’re off to a great start.

FYI - the Wave will soon be closing and from what I am hearing it won’t return in its current form so it may good to keep that reservation.

Whatever you do you will be in WDW having fun and I will follow along. 😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom