Black Widow moves to 2021

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"While we already knew Marvel’s Black Widow was set to move, it’s by far the biggest shift on Disney’s theatrical calendar, going from Nov. 6 to May, 7 2021. That’s a complete annual delay of Black Widow from its original pre-pandemic release date of May 1 this year."

Last edited:

BrianLo

I think this lends weight to Mulan's more recent performance was not quite as amazing as rumoured.

Not so much for Black Widow (which maybe actually is delayed until a time when it can do well in the box office), but for Soul. If Mulan actually made nearly 10x more than Tenet, I can't imagine Disney would keep Soul a theatrical release.

Of course there is still time for Soul to change I guess and we will know in a more official capacity how Mulan did with the next quarterly report.

Archie123

I would guess that most of the movies scheduled for 2020 will be moved to next year. No studio wants to put a possible blockbuster in the theaters and have another Tenet. I would bet James Bond, Soul, Dune, etc will all be pushed to 2021.

erasure fan1

I would guess that most of the movies scheduled for 2020 will be moved to next year. No studio wants to put a possible blockbuster in the theaters and have another Tenet. I would bet James Bond, Soul, Dune, etc will all be pushed to 2021.
And then they'll move to the end of 21 and then to 22. Unless this thing is all a hoax, theaters of any kind will be the last things to get back to normal. I guess we'll see if this strategy of delaying widow works out. I'm leaning towards not really but who knows. Hopefully I'll be way off base, but I just don't think the theater situation will be all that great by then. Maybe they are counting on a whole lot of drive-ins opening by then.

Nutso4Disney

In the Parks
No
And then they'll move to the end of 21 and then to 22. Unless this thing is all a hoax, theaters of any kind will be the last things to get back to normal. I guess we'll see if this strategy of delaying widow works out. I'm leaning towards not really but who knows. Hopefully I'll be way off base, but I just don't think the theater situation will be all that great by then. Maybe they are counting on a whole lot of drive-ins opening by then.
I am somewhat more optimistic than what you are saying in that cinemas are slowly opening as we speak now in the majority of States within the United States with guidelines and also there looks to be several promising vaccines that could be in the works that could be in the works for sometime next year. I do not see this going on for years to come with no light at the end of the tunnel.

That being said, I do think Disney is making a positive move in pushing back Black Widow and any other movies to 2021.

erasure fan1

I am somewhat more optimistic than what you are saying in that cinemas are slowly opening as we speak now in the majority of States within the United States with guidelines and also there looks to be several promising vaccines that could be in the works that could be in the works for sometime next year. I do not see this going on for years to come with no light at the end of the tunnel.

That being said, I do think Disney is making a positive move in pushing back Black Widow and any other movies to 2021.
I hope you're right. But just because the theaters are opening, doesn't mean people will show up. It seems theaters are the thing most people are most leary of going back to. As far as the vaccine goes, I'm not convinced it will be as soon as they are saying. Again, I hope so. But I'm just not counting on it. I am also not convinced that the flood of movies that will come, won't hurt the box office as well. Too many movies, especially tentpole type movies, to close together takes away from overall box office. I just don't see every studio shifting everything like Disney. I guess we'll see.

Nutso4Disney

In the Parks
No
As for the vaccine, I am certainly not the expert on it so all I can do is listen to the so called experts on the information they put out. As for the theaters and the people choosing to return that is totally up to the individual person. It is the same thing with people having to chose if they want to go and dine at a sit down restaurant whether it being indoor or outdoor. I do agree if the market is flooded with movies in a certain period it will hurt the movies overall. The main thing is if the movie is good people will watch. If it is not they will not.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
With Mulan not doing as well with the Disney + premium as I suspect Disney was hoping I think Disney is making the correct decision to push back Black Widow to later in 2021 to the theaters. Hopefully things will be in a much better state at that time which than will provide better numbers for that release.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With Mulan not doing as well with the Disney + premium as I suspect Disney was hoping I think Disney is making the correct decision to push back Black Widow to later in 2021 to the theaters. Hopefully things will be in a much better state at that time which than will provide better numbers for that release.

Mulan did very well on D+.

What's your source it didn't?

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
In theaters.

On D+, an outside media tracking firm has estimated that it made over $220M.
So on Disney + it has made 20 million more than the budgeted price of the film. Do you think that Disney was hoping for a larger number in profit than just 20 million? I am not saying that is an awful number and they certainly could have ended in the red, but 20 million over the budgeted film price is really not that much profit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So on Disney + it has made 20 million more than the budgeted price of the film. Do you think that Disney was hoping for a larger number in profit than just 20 million? I am not saying that is an awful number and they certainly could have ended in the red, but 20 million over the budgeted film price is really not that much profit.

I think lots of studios that tried to release films during the pandemic were hoping for more.

It's hard to separate out problems with the films (and any accompanying controversy) from the pandemic effect. In places where theaters have opened, attendance is way less than their reduced capacity because many people aren't going out to the movies.

The VOD money that Disney+ got for Mulan has a bright spot for them: They keep almost all of it and don't have to share it with a theater company. So, at this point, Mulan has broken even, Disney has recouped their expenses for it, and it goes on to support their streaming service in December when it's 'free', and to synergistically support Mulan as part of the Disney Princess brand (with the added bonus of Asian diversity).

Moving Black Widow to 2021 may be Disney betting on a vaccine since there's so much good news in that area.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
I think lots of studios that tried to release films during the pandemic were hoping for more.

It's hard to separate out problems with the films (and any accompanying controversy) from the pandemic effect. In places where theaters have opened, attendance is way less than their reduced capacity because many people aren't going out to the movies.

The VOD money that Disney+ got for Mulan has a bright spot for them: They keep almost all of it and don't have to share it with a theater company. So, at this point, Mulan has broken even, Disney has recouped their expenses for it, and it goes on to support their streaming service in December when it's 'free', and to synergistically support Mulan as part of the Disney Princess brand (with the added bonus of Asian diversity).

Moving Black Widow to 2021 may be Disney betting on a vaccine since there's so much good news in that area.
I agree with you that even with movie cinemas reopening many people still do not feel comfortable going even with the restrictions in place at many places.

The scenario for Mulan could have been much worse and breaking even for Disney was probably an okay situation for them especially during this time.

I totally agree moving back the movie Black Widow and hoping for a vaccine to be in place by than to have people in a more normal situation and comfortable going to the theater is what Disney is banking on in 2021.

DKampy

In theaters.

In theaters.

Yahoo made a correction...it was said the tracking firm they reported on miscalculated...Mulan actually made somewhere between 60 and 90 million on VOD...which some analysts say is on the lower end of that.

Of course only Disney knows the true number, but it is believable. I feel like Disney waited to move BlacK Widow until they saw the true numbers. Even if Disney wanted to keep Bw in theaters as marvel movies can make a billion dollars...Soul would have most likely moved to VOD, but Disney is insisting that is getting a theatrical release.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
Yahoo made a correction...it was said the tracking firm they reported on miscalculated...Mulan actually made somewhere between 60 and 90 million on VOD...which some analysts say is on the lower end of that.

Of course only Disney knows the true number, but it is believable. I feel like Disney waited to move BlacK Widow until they saw the true numbers. Even if Disney wanted to keep Bw in theaters as marvel movies can make a billion dollars...Soul would have most likely moved to VOD, but Disney is insisting that is getting a theatrical release.
I certainly think Soul to VOD is the right move, but I am not a Disney Executive so we shall see. Black Widow moving to the theaters is smart move if the virus works in its favour.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Can you please post actual article with that actual correction because I can't find it anywhere, even on the original article.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom