Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

_caleb

PVOD is the new pay-per-view and I would say it can be a growth area for TWDC, they really do need to lean into the PVOD model more with digital rentals.
Apple did a lot of research on this through iTunes sales/rentals. They concluded that people prefer to purchase shows/series, but "rent" movies. But then they went all-in on subscriptions for everything.
I think they have a very good idea of what they are doing.
Yes. My post was an attempt to tease those who think otherwise. Since Iger started talking about DtC, Disney has made it clear that they're all-in on streaming and have deliberately de-emphasized theatrical releases for all but the biggest films. They know what they're doing, even if theater chains and cinephiles don't like it.

Black Panther made a ton of money for Disney in theaters, and now it's going to make a ton of money for Disney through subscriptions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Apple did a lot of research on this through iTunes sales/rentals. They concluded that people prefer to purchase shows/series, but "rent" movies. But then they went all-in on subscriptions for everything.
Which is exactly my point, PVOD is something that Disney needs to lean into more for theatrical releases. They sort of do with Amazon and iTunes digital purchase/rental. But they should bring back the Premier Access to D+ and offer new releases for rental for 3 months after the theatrical release is over. So you get like 70-90 days of theatrical and 90 days of Premier Access on D+. So by the 5th or 6th month point when it goes to regular D+ access its hopefully had gotten a nice return.

_caleb

Which is exactly my point, PVOD is something that Disney needs to lean into more for theatrical releases. They sort of do with Amazon and iTunes digital purchase/rental. But they should bring back the Premier Access to D+ and offer new releases for rental for 3 months after the theatrical release is over. So you get like 70-90 days of theatrical and 90 days of Premier Access on D+. So by the 5th or 6th month point when it goes to regular D+ access its hopefully had gotten a nice return.
I'm sure they're looking at it.

Disney doesn't want to have to share revenue with Apple/Amazon, when they've got D+, and I think they've made it clear they want to be less dependent upon cinemas. If streaming--even after a long theatrical window--removes some of the incentive to see a film in theaters, I would imagine it has a similar effect on mid-run services like Premier/PVOD.

And Disney must not have been too pleased with the initial performance of Premier Access, or I think we'd be seeing it used a lot more.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm sure they're looking at it.

Disney doesn't want to have to share revenue with Apple/Amazon, when they've got D+, and I think they've made it clear they want to be less dependent upon cinemas. If streaming--even after a long theatrical window--removes some of the incentive to see a film in theaters, I would imagine it has a similar effect on mid-run services like Premier/PVOD.
I'm sure they are looking at it as well. And I agree Disney wants to share as little money as possible with outside entities. This is why a longer term strategy to include a PVOD feature like Premier Access only makes sense for D+ long term. Premier Access was a test balloon to see if consumers would accept it, and it appears they did.

And Disney must not have been too pleased with the initial performance of Premier Access, or I think we'd be seeing it used a lot more.
They were pleased enough to use it 5 times. And even indicated they would use it again in the future. So yeah I say they were pleased with it overall.

DKampy

I am guessing the release date is scheduled for D+ as being a couple of weeks before the next Marvel theatrical film… I am going to guess we are going to see this happening with each new film for the time being… although I think they need to figure out how to lengthen the pay window… as I think this strategy will cut into their profitability

Prince-1

I am guessing the release date is scheduled for D+ as being a couple of weeks before the next Marvel theatrical film… I am going to guess we are going to see this happening with each new film for the time being… although I think they need to figure out how to lengthen the pay window… as I think this strategy will cut into their profitability

Once again, Disney knows exactly what it’s doing. If they are putting the movies onto D+ sooner it’s for a very specific reason.

DKampy

Once again, Disney knows exactly what it’s doing. If they are putting the movies onto D+ sooner it’s for a very specific reason.
I disagree… I don’t think they know exactly what they are doing… but I am sure Disney will figure it out… I am sure they are testing things out …collecting data… it’s no secret one of the reasons they brought Iger back is to figure how to make Disney plus Profitable

Most streamers are not profitable yet… everyone is spending Money on content to attract subscribers but are not reaping the benefits yet, except maybe Netflix…I am hearing they are finally in the black after years in debt… and they are the top streamer. Which is why it was premature for people to claim it was the death of theaters… Studios still needs the profit from theaters

Jedijax719

Where is the cultural impact for Wakanda Forever? I'm not saying Marvel or MCU in general. Where it for THIS movie? It sure wasn't in toy sales.
It's part of the bigger cultural impact of Black Panther/Wakanda in general. Each movie doesn't have to have its own cultural impact (although with the introduction of Talocan, you can say that the culture impact has stretched into South America).

Star Wars, Harry Potter, and LOTR had obvious cultural impacts. That doesn't mean that each movie ignited a new cultural impact (although TFA kinda did).

Phroobar

It's part of the bigger cultural impact of Black Panther/Wakanda in general. Each movie doesn't have to have its own cultural impact (although with the introduction of Talocan, you can say that the culture impact has stretched into South America).

Star Wars, Harry Potter, and LOTR had obvious cultural impacts. That doesn't mean that each movie ignited a new cultural impact (although TFA kinda did).
So Black Panther is just riding the coat tails of older and better movies. They tried to give it cultural impact with the constant "Boseman died. See this movie in his memory!" The MCU cultural impact has really been diminished since End Game. Just like the Eternals, Wakanda added nothing to the Marvel cultural impact. It added nothing technically and the toy market was a bust.

Phroobar

Dude, what is your problem? Are you just simply racist, or what?
I've seen her is much better things and know she is much better actress then the script allowed her to be. I'm a big fan of her. She was much better in "What's love got to do with it", "The Rosa Parks Story" and "Akeelah and the Bee". I see it as more hype for a not so great superhero movie than for Angela.

khlaylav

So what else is new? I'm surprised they didn't give a posthumous one to Chadwick Boseman.
And now she's been nominated for the Screen Actors Guild award, one of the bellwethers of the Oscars. I would certainly suggest that the win and the further nomination would be "cultural impact," but I imagine you'll have a ready-made and whiny excuse as to why it's not.

LSLS

I think I'll wait for Disney+. There isn't much interesting in the theaters now.
I've seen her is much better things and know she is much better actress then the script allowed her to be. I'm a big fan of her. She was much better in "What's love got to do with it", "The Rosa Parks Story" and "Akeelah and the Bee". I see it as more hype for a not so great superhero movie than for Angela.

I'm in the boat of MAYBE watching it when it hits Disney+, but how can you make your second statement in context of your first? Did you actually go and see it despite saying you weren't interested and that you wouldn't? Or are you basing the performance on the 30 seconds you saw her in the trailer? I have no idea if she is deserving for this movie. Honestly, based on her history, I'd guess "Yeah, she probably is," but, I think the critics are so far removed from caring if a movie is actually good and entertaining at this point, I won't blindly follow what they say either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom