Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Good point. I haven’t seen Aquaman yet, but from the depiction I saw of Atlantis in Justice League, I wasn’t impressed. Hoping it will be better in BP.
Its the typical Aquaman story if you know the character, its was just an ok movie. Other than the visuals it was the typical stuff that DC has been putting out for the last 10 years. Which honestly is why I think some people talk about super hero fatigue. If DC was on the same level as the MCU in terms of connective tissue between movies then I think the super hero fatigue talk would go away.

That is just my humble opinion anyways.

Ghost93

Should I change my statement slightly?

EVENT OF THE YEAR!!

**in my opinon, for me, my most looked forward to film of the year, I cannot wait.
I think Wakanda Forever will be the event of the year for people in America, but that Avatar: The Way of Water will be a bigger hit worldwide.

Of course, it really all depends on which ends up being the better movie. Ideally, both turn out to be great. Hopefully, the fact that they both have a lot of water in them doesn't lead to them canceling each other out at the box office.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think Wakanda Forever will be the event of the year for people in America, but that Avatar: The Way of Water will be a bigger hit worldwide.

Of course, it really all depends on which ends up being the better movie. Ideally, both turn out to be great. Hopefully, the fact that they both have a lot of water in them doesn't lead to them canceling each other out at the box office.
Well BP2 has a month lead on A2, so I think there is enough breathing room between the two. So if anything it would be BP2 cancelling out A2, but I honestly think both will do well.

Ghost93

Well BP2 has a month lead on A2, so I think there is enough breathing room between the two. So if anything it would be BP2 cancelling out A2, but I honestly think both will do well.
Which would be unfortunate for James Cameron as he filmed The Way of Water back in 2017 — before the first Black Panther movie even came out!!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Which would be unfortunate for James Cameron as he filmed The Way of Water back in 2017 — before the first Black Panther movie even came out!!
I think he'll survive :)

But seriously, despite the connection to water I think there is more than enough audience for both movies.

Ghost93

I think he'll survive :)

But seriously, despite the connection to water I think there is more than enough audience for both movies.
I'll definitely see both, haha. I also am sure that Avatar will spend more time underwater, whereas the Black Panther sequel will be more above the surface.

Regardless, Warner Brothers made the smart move to keep Aquaman as far away from Wakanda Forever as possible. The Namor/Aquaman comparisons would have been distracting.

Ghost93

Everyone's arguing about Top Gun, Black Panther and Avatar...

...and I'm here by myself looking forward to Shazam: Fury of the Gods the most 😐
Shazam: Fury of the Gods looks like a fun movie. It just seems to lack the spectacle and gravitas of the other three movies you mentioned. Still, I'm excited for Shazam 2.

If I were Warner Brothers, I would have pushed Shazam to January, where there would be less competition.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'll definitely see both, haha. I also am sure that Avatar will spend more time underwater, whereas the Black Panther sequel will be more above the surface.

Regardless, Warner Brothers made the smart move to keep Aquaman as far away from Wakanda Forever as possible. The Namor/Aquaman comparisons would have been distracting.
I'll see both as well, so Disney has my money either way.

UNCgolf

Ah, his father in the movie, and his tattoos are Maori, tho. And Jason loves to do the haka.

I was really just being snarky about the kind of people who complain.

Also, some of them probably just think he has "tribal" tattoos.

I just saw you posted him doing the haka, and now that I've been reading up on him, I don't see that he has any Maori connection at all. His father was Hawaiian, not Maori -- obviously those are both Polynesian cultures, but they're not the same thing. And his mother has European ancestry.

Last edited:

doctornick

Shazam: Fury of the Gods looks like a fun movie. It just seems to lack the spectacle and gravitas of the other three movies you mentioned. Still, I'm excited for Shazam 2.

If I were Warner Brothers, I would have pushed Shazam to January, where there would be less competition.
Shazam is easily my favorite DCEU film (to whatever extent that exists still), I’m definitely excited about this sequel too.

doctornick

A Maori Aquaman, to boot.

Did DC get the pushback that Marvel is getting in online social circles for their choice of a non-European sea-king, too?
To be honest, I always expected they’d have Namor played by an East Asian actor as he always looked most reminiscent of that ethnic background in the comics to me. Not that I think it matters regardless and it’s interesting they are going with Mayan (I think, right?) background for Atlantis.

Jedijax719

My guess is that this new world is actually a nation that is part of the larger Atlantis OR is the modern descendant of Atlantis.

Several prominent YTers suggest that they are purposely steering clear of the name Atlantis in favor of something different (since DCEU already claimed it with Aquaman).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom