BLACK PANTHER huge hit!

smile

To be clear, if you were offended by the "politics" of Happy Feet or thought Zootopia was too "leftist", Black Panther will not be a comfortable movie for you to watch. It specifically criticizes people like yourself... and that's one of the reasons it's so popular.

what kind of people is he/she?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
To be clear, if you were offended by the "politics" of Happy Feet or thought Zootopia was too "leftist", Black Panther will not be a comfortable movie for you to watch. It specifically criticizes people like yourself... and that's one of the reasons it's so popular.
Gonna have to disagree with you here. It's popular because it's....

A. Marvel
B. Ryan Coogler
C. A good film

Otterhead

blank panther criticizes people who think they're viewing propaganda?
No, Black Panther is a movie that someone offended by Zootopia will find especially offensive. As others have mentioned, it has explicit political themes, speaks to the Black condition in America and the world, and is about pan-African powerful women. It's a beautiful film but not one that someone offended by dancing penguins would likely appreciate very much.

Bender123

No, Black Panther is a movie that someone offended by Zootopia will find especially offensive. As others have mentioned, it has explicit political themes, speaks to the Black condition in America and the world, and is about pan-African powerful women. It's a beautiful film but not one that someone offended by dancing penguins would likely appreciate very much.

You could also replace everybody in the movie with martians...Its not like its a true story. Its literally about the fight between an isolationist and an ethnostate expansionist fighting over magic rocks in a fictional country.

Its a fine movie, but any idea that it sends a powerful message, beyond showing we have some really great minority talent in Hollywood, is fantasy and marketing. Sure, the lessons are fine and the story is good, but its just a fairy tale, the same as Little Mermaid, Princess and the Frog and Cinderella.

Dutch Inn '76

Go ahead and color me however you like, but you have me all wrong.

I consume political commentary every day; in what I read and in what I watch. I have my opinions, but I'm always interested in the other side - maybe they can teach me something, or at least help me to understand their point of view. When I'm consuming political thought, I'm in that frame of mind and ready for any wacky thing that might come along.

When I go to see a movie with my kids that has been billed as simple family entertainment, I don't like to be blindsided by propaganda. Happy Feet was pure propaganda: espousing a particular opinion with complete disregard to contrary views in order to shape naive minds. (Hitler was good at this.) Zootopia wasn't as bad as HF, as there are lots of things in it that I agree with politically; but it was so ham-handed and unrelenting...when I just came to see the cute bunny and the other animals be funny. I've been twice fooled by these "cutesie" films, so I go in with my eyes wide open now.

Black Panther is a film about black people made by Disney; OF COURSE it will have a political agenda. I'm going in ready for the debate, not just to be entertained by the super hero. I'm sure that I will enjoy it, as I have most Disney/Marvel films. In addition, I hear that it addresses "walls" we put up between ourselves and urges black empowerment. Both of these subjects need encouragement in our society. Perhaps I will like the politics it preaches.

...but either way, I'm ready for the sermon.

Otterhead

Happy Feet was pure propaganda: espousing a particular opinion with complete disregard to contrary views in order to shape naive minds. (Hitler was good at this.)
Given that you're literally now comparing Happy Feet to Nazi propaganda, I will simply say that I certainly hope you enjoy Black Panther, as it's a terrific film, and I will back away quietly.

Bender123

Sometimes, when a story is good enough, it can change someone’s world view a tad...

All the classic fairy tales had lessons, that's what they are. They were vehicles for morality lessons. This is, at its most basic level, a fairy tale. It has lessons about many things, but its also important not to take them all literally. There is no Wakanda, there is no magical space rock, there is no civilization in Africa (or anywhere else) that can be looked at with that level of advancement and reverence.

After all the special effects and casting choices, the story is simple...What responsibility do the rich and powerful have to use their resources to help the world and those in need?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I do not want to debate the contract. However, I do believe Universal has to use the characters in a first rate manner or lose them. All I want Marvel to do is ask Universal to use Black Panther in a first rate manner in Orlando or take therm to arbitration and ask for Black Panther back. This is a reasonable request and something they should do. I think it is what Universal did with the Monorail wrap issue.

I think they would have a hard time making that stick in arbitration. You say you don't want to debate the contract, but since you are talking about arbitration, then you have to discuss the contract. The contracts says:

"Each THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall be operated and maintained in a first class manner consistent with the highest standards of the theme park industry"

To me this simply means something along the lines of "most theme parks re-paint their coasters every five years, so Universal must re-paint the Hulk coaster every fiver years". I think it's a serious stretch to think Universal would be required to use every character in a significant way or risk loosing them.

EPCOTCenterLover

Each one of us has a worldview and our favorite political agenda. Companies as well, even if their agenda is only making money at any cost. To think otherwise would be fooling ourselves.

seascape

Every few hours they increase the box office number. The new estimated number which will probably go up when the final number is in later today is 242 million. For 4 days with 40.1 million from Monday which would put it above TLJ.

eliza61nyc

Go ahead and color me however you like, but you have me all wrong.

I consume political commentary every day; in what I read and in what I watch. I have my opinions, but I'm always interested in the other side - maybe they can teach me something, or at least help me to understand their point of view. When I'm consuming political thought, I'm in that frame of mind and ready for any wacky thing that might come along.

When I go to see a movie with my kids that has been billed as simple family entertainment, I don't like to be blindsided by propaganda. Happy Feet was pure propaganda: espousing a particular opinion with complete disregard to contrary views in order to shape naive minds. (Hitler was good at this.) Zootopia wasn't as bad as HF, as there are lots of things in it that I agree with politically; but it was so ham-handed and unrelenting...when I just came to see the cute bunny and the other animals be funny. I've been twice fooled by these "cutesie" films, so I go in with my eyes wide open now.

Black Panther is a film about black people made by Disney; OF COURSE it will have a political agenda. I'm going in ready for the debate, not just to be entertained by the super hero. I'm sure that I will enjoy it, as I have most Disney/Marvel films. In addition, I hear that it addresses "walls" we put up between ourselves and urges black empowerment. Both of these subjects need encouragement in our society. Perhaps I will like the politics it preaches.

...but either way, I'm ready for the sermon.

lol wow and to think my kids just like the dancing. so if there little minds were supposed to be shaped they (and me) missed the message.

Do you really going to every movie trying to decode the supposed message?

Anyhoo, I am African American, black, colored, been described as all. My family and I went to see Black Panther. Loved it. No we did not get any political agenda, personally I think I'm a little scared of anyone who would shape their political leanings from a movie where a guy drinks a potion, gets buried in the sand and then has hallucinations.

Now as far as "Black empowerment" while I think the characters were great, and lord knows Michael P. Jordan is some serious "eye candy" ( if I were 40 years younger......) once again no one I know remotely took this as real life. I did like the fact that the women could fight.

Boy I'm going to have to go see this thing again because I just didn't get any "sermon, agenda," or any thing else. I go an pretty standard "good guy" vs "bad guy" vibe. bad guy wanted to take over the world, good guy didn't think that was a smart move. big fight scene at the end, good guy wins and gets the girl.

pretty standard disney stuff.

Donald Razorduck

Again, a central US new gate in Texas (San Antonio/Austin) that is all Marvel is the ticket. A Stark Tower Hotel/DVC. Black Panther is ripe for an African Themed area. Check out what Phantasialand in Germany has done with that and it's African themed hotel.

As for Black Panther, I'm saving it my Disney cruise in two Weeks

Bender123

lol wow and to think my kids just like the dancing. so if there little minds were supposed to be shaped they (and me) missed the message.

Do you really going to every movie trying to decode the supposed message?

Anyhoo, I am African American, black, colored, been described as all. My family and I went to see Black Panther. Loved it. No we did not get any political agenda, personally I think I'm a little scared of anyone who would shape their political leanings from a movie where a guy drinks a potion, gets buried in the sand and then has hallucinations.

Now as far as "Black empowerment" while I think the characters were great, and lord knows Michael P. Jordan is some serious "eye candy" ( if I were 40 years younger......) once again no one I know remotely took this as real life. I did like the fact that the women could fight.

Boy I'm going to have to go see this thing again because I just didn't get any "sermon, agenda," or any thing else. I go an pretty standard "good guy" vs "bad guy" vibe. bad guy wanted to take over the world, good guy didn't think that was a smart move. big fight scene at the end, good guy wins and gets the girl.

pretty standard disney stuff.

Completely agree. Its a fine and fun move, but for some reason, politics on both sides have made the marketing into a bad joke. Its not brainwashing people into some weird SJW world view and its not some driver of Afrocentric nationalism, either. Its a movie about magical space rocks set against a super hero version of the Lion King...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom