BLACK PANTHER huge hit!

elchippo

Original Poster
So can we assume that “Wakanda” will move into AK in the coming years? A follow up announcement after SWL and when Pandora’s newness has worn off and it’s AK’s turn again for big news?

MerlinTheGoat

Black Panther is apparently off-limits to use at WDW. Part of the list of other Marvel IP that cannot be used per the contract with Universal. All the other Disney resorts except can use it. Same goes for Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America, Thor etc. WDW isn't even allowed to do meet n greets for them.

Disney has a very limited amount of Marvel IP they can use in WDW. They can use Guardians of the Galaxy due to it being created AFTER the Marvel buyout, and I think a couple of the more incidental and less popular characters (Dr Strange is one i've heard).

Universal could possibly use Black Panther. Just probably not tied into the actual movie version.

Last edited:

Capsin4

I don’t think it has anything to do with when the properties were created. The second volume of GOtG was published prior to the acquisition and is pretty much the same team with a couple omissions. Black panther is off limits to Disney because of his affiliation with the avengers decades ago and GOtG are ok because they have no association with characters already used at Uni. Disney has a tough time because they have few popular options that aren’t already connected to characters used by uni.

TeriofTerror

it does confuse me, disney own Marvel... or do they only own the cinematic studio side?
(Throwing my head on the desk.) This really needs a sticky.
Disney owns Marvel Comics.
Disney owns the movie rights to most Marvel characters, and will own more once the Fox acquisition is complete.
Due to stipulations in the contract Marvel had with Universal before Marvel was purchased by Disney, Disney can use Marvel characters as they will in all of their parks worldwide except In Orlando. Any Marvel character (or member of a Marvel family) in use at Universal when Disney acquired Marvel can be used exclusively by Universal in perpetuity. Disney would only get the rights to those characters if Universal relinquished them or failed to maintain them properly.
(Would you all consider that an accurate summation?)

DisneyFan18

While I prefer to remain neutral in this case, as there are IPs that fit better at DAK, however I can’t see why they can’t use Wakanda to create a Land, the only thing they need not to do is use or reference Black Panther within the Land as he is tethered as a character to the Avengers, I believe that other characters like Shuri or Killmonger wouldn’t be affected by it, and still create a profitable Land out of it.
(I’m not saying this will happen)

MileZXO

You can definately feel disneys influence in the movie more so than the others. i think you could be right in that they could use Wakanda without directly using BP.

jt04

(Throwing my head on the desk.) This really needs a sticky.
Disney owns Marvel Comics.
Disney owns the movie rights to most Marvel characters, and will own more once the Fox acquisition is complete.
Due to stipulations in the contract Marvel had with Universal before Marvel was purchased by Disney, Disney can use Marvel characters as they will in all of their parks worldwide except In Orlando. Any Marvel character (or member of a Marvel family) in use at Universal when Disney acquired Marvel can be used exclusively by Universal in perpetuity. Disney would only get the rights to those characters if Universal relinquished them or failed to maintain them properly.
(Would you all consider that an accurate summation?)

Not trolling but some how missed the sticky that explains how WDW is able to build a GotG attraction.

Especially since the characters appear along side characters featured at IoA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom