Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Jedijax719

There are differences however between the Sony/Marvel deal and the Universal/Marvel deal.

With the Universal/Marvel deal they don't "own" Incredible Hulk or Namor characters its just for distribution rights for solo films, but not how the characters can be used within other Marvel films.

But with Sony it was full character rights for the entire Spider-Man family of characters and how they are used, even in the MCU. The only reason they got Holland Spider-Man into the MCU is because of a renegotiation of just the Peter Parker/Spider-Man character in exchange for Feige's help to build out their Sony Spider-Verse. It was a win for the MCU as they got to use Spider-Man and a win for Sony's Marvel movies as they look like they are closely tied to the MCU, even if they aren't in reality.

As for Kraven in the MCU, its debatable on whether the Sony Spider-Verse solo movies without Spider-Man will be successful. So in the long run I could see Sony making another deal to get more Spider-Man family of characters into the MCU, but wouldn't actually bet money on it.

And no Universal can't just use Namor in a themed area as he was not part of the original Uni/Marvel Theme Park deal. Also I believe with Black Panther its limited to just the character and not a whole theme land such as Wakanda.
See, I can't keep up with all this "they can't do this, but those folks can only do that" agreements and contracts. I just assume since Namor is "owned" by Universal, the park can do what they want. Shows you what I know!

And the using of the Black Panther character but not Wakanda-makes my head spin. Wakanda and Talocan would be INCREDIBLE worlds for parks and could have some of the BEST motion simulator rides ever! For that matter, ANY underwater world would make for unbelievable opportunities for an amazing motion ride!
For that

Disney Irish

Premium Member
See, I can't keep up with all this "they can't do this, but those folks can only do that" agreements and contracts. I just assume since Namor is "owned" by Universal, the park can do what they want. Shows you what I know!

And the using of the Black Panther character but not Wakanda-makes my head spin. Wakanda and Talocan would be INCREDIBLE worlds for parks and could have some of the BEST motion simulator rides ever! For that matter, ANY underwater world would make for unbelievable opportunities for an amazing motion ride!
For that
So the important take away here, and maybe its just a fine point, is that the word you should be using here is "right" and not "owned" as the ownership of the Namor character is not in question here, he is 100% "owned" by Disney/Marvel.

As what you're talking about is usage "rights" and specifically the theme park usage "rights" for Uni to use the Namor in IOA, which BTW is the only place they can use him, as the original contract is limited to only the Florida parks, and not every Uni park around the world. As Disney can use Namor (and any other Marvel character) in any other Disney Park outside of Florida. Its the same reason why Disney can use Spider-Man in DCA and DLP even though he is used by Uni in IOA in Florida. And as MisterPenguin pointed out those same "rights" were revised in the recent past, and since we don't know what specifically are in them, Uni could actually have even less "rights" to Namor and other Marvel characters for IOA than we know.

So with all that said Disney has plans to use Wakanda in Disney Parks, or at least has thought about it. As the Disneyland Forward project "concept art" that showed a "potential" usage concept had a Wakanda area depicted. And so while we can't take the "concept art" seriously beyond just a "what if" it shows Disney is at least thinking about its use in Disney Parks.

doctornick

Under the original contract that's public now, Uni couldn't use new characters if they didn't option them after the first two years of the contract.

What they did option was Spider-Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Hulk, X-Men... and with them, all their "family" of characters.

Namor is clearly a Fantastic Four villain, so, they *could* use him for a new ride in Superhero Island. But only the old comic book version. Not this new MCU take. Which is unlikely.

There's a supposed revised contract which is more specific about what is on the table and off of it. We don't know what it says.
That’s not really correct if I understand the contract. The “family” concept is in reference to what couldn’t be used by other parks east of the Mississippi not what Uni could use. Uni can only really use the characters they were already

Specific to Namor, I don’t think either Uni or WDW could use him, with the later depending on how broad the use of “family” is applied (he’s been associated with the Fantastic Four as a villain/anti hero and a member of the Avengers so he’s probably off limits). In regards to Black Panther, I would expect he’s off limit for both parks as well.

That being said, there has been clarifications of the contract that we the public aren’t privy to, but it’s believed there’s a list of available characters for Uni.

As an aside, being depicted on a mural is not “substantial use” of a character in regards to a character. It would have to be something like a ride, M&G, theming if restaurant, etc.

celluloid

That’s not really correct if I understand the contract. The “family” concept is in reference to what couldn’t be used by other parks east of the Mississippi not what Uni could use. Uni can only really use the characters they were already

Specific to Namor, I don’t think either Uni or WDW could use him, with the later depending on how broad the use of “family” is applied (he’s been associated with the Fantastic Four as a villain/anti hero and a member of the Avengers so he’s probably off limits). In regards to Black Panther, I would expect he’s off limit for both parks as well.

T
Namor is already referenced at Islands of Adventure on a building near Captain America's Diner. It is not just a mural but signage. It is more than just a mural but not sure what it would fall under. But he is in fact represented. A pretty clever use too. I believe it does cover Uni and prohibits Disney on the east coast in this case.

tcool123

If we want to complicate matters further…

In the Comics gift shop there are murals above the shelving - these murals portray various characters. One of these characters is Doctor Strange, but at the same time Doctor Strange appears nightly at Disney thanks to Disney Movie Magic. In fact, Strange has appeared at DHS as early as 2016 thanks to to a tie in promotional show.

On the other hand a character like Mantis from the Guardians seems to be off limit for both resorts as she is the only member of the team missing from Disney Movie Magic which promoted her debut film.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I helped! :D

But umm...
Coogler’s Black Panther sequel — which has earned nearly $860 million at the global box office — will compete for best picture at the upcoming Academy Awards ceremony, as well as for best supporting actress (Angela Bassett).
So who is actually doing the fact checking/proofreading at The Hollywood Reporter these days? :rolleyes:

Oh, Variety is!

Phroobar

Target is finally clearing out all the Wakanda stuff that never sold. Now is your chance to build your army of Iron Hearts and Namors.
clear8.jpg

erasure fan1

I finally watched Wakanda forever since I'll have D+ for a month or so. I gotta say, it wasn't a good marvel movie at all. Disney was so worried about upsetting people if they recasted the character, that they derailed the film. It was way to long and just felt completely disjointed. I get they were trying to honor and respect Chadwick. But in my opinion, the movie really did neither. It would have been smart to scrap the film, address Chadwick's passing in another movie or D+ event. Then bring his son into the roll later. As a whole, it just didn't work for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom