"Black box" interchangeable dark ride coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?

lazyboy97o

I don’t know why you’re arguing this with me.

I simply suggested maybe they could be splitting costs like they do with marketing new movies in the parks.
The Parks do not split the cost of marketing new movies. That is 100% paid for by the Studio and why they end, even when it is something like a very popular meet and greet. So again, why would the Studio commit to spending more on in-park marketing? If Imagineering can deliver decent rides that cheaply then why are they not doing that already? If this is an idea that works then why is Star Tours the only updatable attraction that has seen such updates, but decades after being announced?

Timothy_Q

The Parks do not split the cost of marketing new movies. That is 100% paid for by the Studio and why they end, even when it is something like a very popular meet and greet. So again, why would the Studio commit to spending more on in-park marketing? If Imagineering can deliver decent rides that cheaply then why are they not doing that already? If this is an idea that works then why is Star Tours the only updatable attraction that has seen such updates, but decades after being announced?
🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s most definitely a thing. Not a big fish, not a small one either. Not for a few years yet. Nor will it be unique to this park.

More details if and when I can.

Mickey5150

I've always liked the idea of an all screen ride becoming a new Great Movie Ride. The screens could be set up to look like a movie theater screen, complete with curtains. The vehicles move from screen to screen each one showing a different movie, at the end is a larger screen that opens up and shows a world first preview of a new movie. Imagine if this had existed before The Force Awakens was released. The ride vehicles watch a progression of Star Wars movies from 1 thru 6 then multiple vehicles move into the larger theater room. The theater goes dark and all the sudden guests see the first trailer for The Force Awakens. If that trailer is park exclusive for a few months it would bring people in.

WDW Pro

This has become relevant again because Clickbait.com posted an article.

"We are in an age of abundant projection-heavy, screen-based attractions at the Disney Parks and there’s no sign of turning back anytime soon with Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway and the new Spider-Man attraction coming to Disneyland Resort. Well, beyond these announced attractions, Disney has plans to build a ride in what they call a “black box” that would rely heavily on screen and projection technology, allowing the theme of the entire ride to be changed in just weeks, if not days. You may recall that we first told you about this attraction back in May.

Much like some of the attractions listed above, the ride would be trackless, featuring free-roaming vehicles that could easily be reprogrammed. With screens and projectors making up most of the attraction, scenes could be altered (possibly overnight) from one version to the next. The idea here is that a ride could be changed from one intellectual property to a more current “IP” in little-to-no time.

The “black box” term comes from the appearance of the attraction when everything is turned off. It is essentially a giant warehouse with projection and screen surfaces, a blank canvas. The attraction will feature props and figures with limited movement to try and offset the screens with some moving pieces. Said figures will be designed so they can be switched out whenever the attraction changes.

The attraction is also internally called a “Flex Ride”, since it can have multiple uses, much like a “Flex Space”.

The “black box” dark ride is projected to open in 2022 at Disney California Adventure, at the same time as its Walt Disney World counterpart in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The exact location for each attraction within those parks is unknown, but an educated guess would be Hollywood Land at DCA and the Animation Courtyard area at the Studios."

The location is almost certainly behind the sunset market, between RnRC and Animation Courtyard.

Surferboy567

All this dissussion is great and all, but we should hear what @marni1971 says...remember this is that site. I’m fully on board with this idea a new experience every single time? I’m in sounds like a big draw anyways... @marni1971 I summon thee...what say you on this?

ObscurityPoint

I'd guess something with a lot of linear horizontal motion possibly a chase sequence. ( I think that style of motion lends itself well to these things) An IP with plenty of action. 🤷‍♂️ Incredibles, Cars. Flavor of the Month makes the most sense though.
I would say Monsters Inc but there’s already a handful of MI dark rides around the other parks, so I’d say Incredibles would be a safe bet. Maybe Zootopia or BH6 as well.

The Empress Lilly

Much like some of the attractions listed above, the ride would be trackless, featuring free-roaming vehicles that could easily be reprogrammed. With screens and projectors making up most of the attraction, scenes could be altered (possibly overnight) from one version to the next. The idea here is that a ride could be changed from one intellectual property to a more current “IP” in little-to-no time.

The “black box” term comes from the appearance of the attraction when everything is turned off. It is essentially a giant warehouse with projection and screen surfaces, a blank canvas. The attraction will feature props and figures with limited movement to try and offset the screens with some moving pieces. Said figures will be designed so they can be switched out whenever the attraction changes.
Sounds like Rat...

jt04

Thanks for the in depth analysis and insider information backing up your claim. I'm thankful you were mature enough to avoid needless personal attacks.

Don't forget Martin has hinted at other scenarios besides the well known pad you mentioned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom