"Black box" interchangeable dark ride coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?

lazyboy97o

No. The only thing shared with modular walls is the idea that it’s hung.

Items are simply supported from above, rather than by sitting on the floor. Use curtain edges if you want and it doesn’t end touch the floor. Alternatively They can touch the floor with feet. Nothing limits your shapes or what you put in the space. Put a huge set sitting on the floor, but make it’s hard attach points be from above or the side rather than to the floor.

The more you rely on projection mapping... the less bulky these items need to be as well.

The trade off is you need a lot more overhead strength and beams. But if that’s the purpose of the building... you can justify it
With a truly trackless ride system, the anchoring for walls and sets has to be than just simple support to keep it upright as it also has to be sufficient to handle an impact from a ride vehicle (in case a vehicle looses tracking or is accidentally driven into a wall during programming). Projection mapping only really helps shed the bulk of the finish, which is not going to be very significant in a lot of cases. Something like Unistrut is expensive in specific applications, so an entire grid is an even more significant expense even compared to floor anchoring and proper patching of the floor.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So make the walls floating walls hung from gridwork above.. rather than attached at the floor.

How about the walls are also on a LPS chassis? The walls move around as well as the vehicles. The projectors, too. In fact, let's put the black box on wheels and you can have one line that goes up to a black box and when it's filled, it moves out of the way for the next black box.

Or, make the black box small. Small enough for one vehicle. Maybe a semi-sphere around the vehicle for the projection and you sit in a pod with a handful other people. And the pod moves around in sync with the projections. And just like my idea above for the black boxes to be on wheels, this small black boxes would also move to accommodate the next group. Well, maybe not wheels, but how about a big turntable?

Then you can just update the pod and projections. The perfect black box.

RSoxNo1

How about the walls are also on a LPS chassis? The walls move around as well as the vehicles. The projectors, too. In fact, let's put the black box on wheels and you can have one line that goes up to a black box and when it's filled, it moves out of the way for the next black box.

Or, make the black box small. Small enough for one vehicle. Maybe a semi-sphere around the vehicle for the projection and you sit in a pod with a handful other people. And the pod moves around in sync with the projections. And just like my idea above for the black boxes to be on wheels, this small black boxes would also move to accommodate the next group. Well, maybe not wheels, but how about a big turntable?

Walls on LPS chassis could make for a cool Doctor Strange ride.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

How about a Tesla and an iPad?

Haymarket2008

Yep. CAVE was in its infancy but was researched to go into the GMR building way back. Basically a motion base with limited lateral movement surrounded by screens.

What was the proposal that was supposed to be in the GMR? So Mickey wasn’t the only thing considered to potentially give GMR the boot?

tomast

I hope they aren't going the Universal route with screens. I still want to be able to see real objects like animatronics and props while on a ride.

I realize it is probably a lot cheaper to do, but I don't find it as memorable an experience. And the amount of projection rides and shows at Disney would officially be getting out of hand.
Worst ride ever is Fast and Furious I hope never see that on Disney

tomast

Don't stop it there. Why can't we get the scenes re-arenge the walls in between cars so you can get a different experience than the car before and after you.

SirLink

I think people on the board think that one day its one LPS ride and after third shift it is a new LPS ride. It would still take 5 months at a minimum to replace stuff if it is indeed a ride.

ppete1975

Not that Disney would ever do this...but it would be cool to use this concept for movie previews...imagine a 2 minute ride through of scenes from the upcoming Lion King movie...then switch it out to Frozen 2 or Rise of Skywalker. Yeah...yeah...I know Disney is too cheap to consistently churn out updates (even if the studio marketing dept would pick up the cost). But man what a way to promote their upcoming films. And fit with the theme of the studios.
Especially since many theaters have dbox now. And lots of Disney movies use dbox (avengers, star wars) some kind of super trailer with movement and vibrations would be cooler than just previews

ToTBellHop

I think people on the board think that one day its one LPS ride and after third shift it is a new LPS ride. It would still take 5 months at a minimum to replace stuff if it is indeed a ride.
How long did it take to convert ToT to GotG? Like 4 1/2 months?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom